medication for binge eating

Options
1derfuldia
1derfuldia Posts: 24 Member
Hi, I've had a really positive experience and I want to share it with this group in case it helps others. I was getting really frustrated with my binges. I'd have good days and then really bad days. I'd lose some weight for a while and then gain it all back. My teenage son pointed out that it seemed like I was getting high when I was eating cheese and I think he had a point. So, I went to the doctor about it, finally. He had my see a psychologist for a month and then I met back with him. I learned that my eating is related to anxiety and that I find food very soothing and I don't eat for hunger -- sometimes I wish I had more space in my stomach so I could eat more. The doctor prescribed Topamax (the generic) and I can honestly say that am finally free of binge eating! I have been on it for 2 months. There were some mild side effects at first, but they have gone away. I don't spend all day thinking about food anymore. I feel a lot less anxiety and if I'm worried about something, I don't want to eat because of it. It's weird, but eat less without trying. I feel like a normal person. I've lost 13 pounds in 2 months without logging my food. Just this week I started logging my food to keep things going and I don't feel overwhelmed by it anymore. I just hope this continues! If anyone else has been struggling with this, consider asking your doctor about taking topamax. I hope it helps you as much as it's helped me.

All the best!