Does anyone here eat coconut oil?

Options
twinmomtwice4
twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
I just bought a jar at Trader Joe's, mainly to use as a deep conditioner for mine and my daughter's hair but as I was researching it some more, I found out it's one of the most healthiest oils you can eat and it can help boost your metabolism!!

Do people really eat it by the tablespoon plain?? I could see mixing it into something like oatmeal or yogurt and cooking with it but eating it plain????

Tell me what you know about it ..please!!!!!

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am only using it for cooking. Eating it plain with a spoon-I don't think I could/Would do that.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Want to use it in my diet but sooo expensive over here, not in my budget yet!
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I used to, but I couldn't just eat it off the spoon. I'd mix a tablespoon in with some tea a couple times a day.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Cook with it. You can use it as a replacement for butter in most cooking and baking. When using it in a recipe that contains butter, use only half the amount of oil.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    It is great for you... a medium chain triglyceride. Helps you to burn fat along with a host of other benefits. When I struggled with getting in cals I would take a tbs straight.
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just bought some at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago. I cook with it and it makes everything taste better!!
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    Cook with it, eat a tad when necessary and slather on my body...LOVE IT:)
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yep....cook with it! As soon as my "totally adulterated extra virgin olive oil that failed the cold test" is gone, organic coconut oil will be the only cooking oil in the house. It's also fantastic for cosmetic uses too....love the stuff!

I love the small burst of coconut scent right when you stick it in a hot pan.....disappears, but for just a minute it is like breathing in heaven. It doesn't make things taste funny either.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I bought some recently, but haven't used it that much. I will now though.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I cook with it and spread it on toast, instead of using butter.:smile:
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!!

I used it as a deep conditioner last night and my hair is super soft today!!!!!!

I'm definitely going to start cooking with it too!!!!
  • dzinergrl18
    dzinergrl18 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I cook with it in place of butter or oil, put a half T in my protein shake each day(can melt it first but I don't) and use it with applesauce to replace oil in recipes. My husband HATES coconut and has no idea he's eating it now! I get mine from Vitacost.com, not too expensive, I don't think, and no real coconut smell-just a sweet smell. My nails and hair are so much better since starting it too! I need to try it as a conditioner...do you just put in then rinse out like regular conditioner or let it sit in there for a while?
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have a jar in the cabinet and add it to smoothies occasionally - I started using it when I read it can help with thyroid and I'm Hypo.

Question on the subject --- Does it matter if it melts and re-solidifies? Mine has been going back and forth just sitting in the cabinet with all the temperature changes lately.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    I cook with it in place of butter or oil, put a half T in my protein shake each day(can melt it first but I don't) and use it with applesauce to replace oil in recipes. My husband HATES coconut and has no idea he's eating it now! I get mine from Vitacost.com, not too expensive, I don't think, and no real coconut smell-just a sweet smell. My nails and hair are so much better since starting it too! I need to try it as a conditioner...do you just put in then rinse out like regular conditioner or let it sit in there for a while?

Yes, just put it in like regular conditioner if you want a quick condition. Or you can deep condition by leaving it in your hair for an hour or even overnight. Just use a very small amount and mainly only on your ends. You have to rinse it out thoroughly or it'll leave your hair with a greasy feeling. Sometimes I have to shampoo afterwards to make sure I got all the oil out!
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    I have a jar in the cabinet and add it to smoothies occasionally - I started using it when I read it can help with thyroid and I'm Hypo.

Question on the subject --- Does it matter if it melts and re-solidifies? Mine has been going back and forth just sitting in the cabinet with all the temperature changes lately.

Mine does the same thing. It's just based on the temperature where you keep it. I keep mine in my pantry and based on whether I have my a/c on or not, it will go back and forth between solid and liquid.
  • ermickel
    ermickel Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Cook with it, eat a tad when necessary and slather on my body...LOVE IT:)
    '

Yep me too! Love the stuff! It's a great massage oil too :wink:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use the Trader Joe's Coconut Oil too - love it! I cook my eggs in a tsp of it every morning, and use it on popcorn instead of butter (microwave my own popcorn in a brown paper bag - works great, and cheap!).

I also use it on my hair sometimes as a smoothing/shine treatment - just smooth a little over my hair when I'm done in the morning - works better than the store bought smoothers! Smells good too.

The other night I fried corn tortillas in it for our tostadas - the family loved it! I've not been able to make myself eat a spoonful of it yet, but I usually lick the spoon that I use to put oil in the pan for my morning eggs.

I live in a pretty hot climate, and even with the A/C on, mine has gone liquid since the temps went up. When I bring a new jar home from Trader Joe's it's usually liquid by morning! :tongue:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I also use it for thyroid support (I'm hypo). I like to spread it on bread and eat it, preferably once in the morning and sometime in the afternoon. It gives me an energy boost. Also, it's really great for stir-fry - it gives it a really nice flavor. I cook popcorn in it also - really lovely!
  • notRapunsel
    Options
    I used to eat it by the spoonful, but seriously? Who decided to force oil down their throats the first time? It makes me gag - my favorite way to eat it is on some warm bread or with oatmeal, although I more often than not just put on peanut butter instead. I use it a LOT in baking though.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options

Mine does the same thing. It's just based on the temperature where you keep it. I keep mine in my pantry and based on whether I have my a/c on or not, it will go back and forth between solid and liquid.

Glad to hear it's still good to eat :) Thanks!