Advice Please 5K Training and Heavy Lifting....

Options
It's been on my bucket list for a couple of years to get some 5ks under my belt. I signed up for two this fall (September and October) and started training during my "rest week" after completing Phase I of NROLFW. I'm by no means a runner, so the training will actually push me out of my comfort zone (give me a step class, zumba, or elliptical for my cardio instead) so I question how to fit in 5K training with Phase II (which I'm supposed to start tomorrow) of New Rules....will it be too much if I lift heavy every other day and then run on my off days. Not sure my poor muscles are up for that. I'm all about trying to lift heavy, but am wondering if I should take it down a notch until after my 5Ks. Any advice from people who do both or train for road races occasionally? Thanks much!!!!!

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    When I started running about 3 months ago...the first few weeks i found it too hard to work out (especially weights) one day and run the next....but that only lasted a few weeks. I do 3-5 weight sessions per week...plus 2 runs (1 x 6.5km + 1 x 10km) plus a mixture of things like walking/running up stairs, rower, xtrainer, kick boxing classes, cycling classes and now my body is fine with it all :)
  • jwkime
    jwkime Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I'm feeling like maybe my body won't take heavy weights and running together the first couple weeks. Maybe I'll focus on getting comfortable running the first few weeks and pick up the weights again after that. I appreciate your insight!