Living sedentary outside the gym?

amonkey794
amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
Hi. Right now I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle outside of my gym workouts. I was wondering if this has an effect on either my metabolism or my activity level?

My fitness info:
-Activity level: I tried to calculate at moderate, but now I'm thinking light?
-height: 5'3"
-weight: 108-110
-goal: maintenance
-workouts: mon-thurs 30min cardio (stairmaster with ankle weights) and 30x upper body strength
fri 40-45 min lower body strength (with ankle weights) 15-20 min core/abs

Edit: my ankle weights are always on during my gym sessions. Also my strength is usually more hand weights/free weights or whatever they are called with a little bit of machine and body weight exercises thrown in

Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    Hey there!!

I was reading your workout schedule for the week and you have:

-workouts: mon-thurs 30min cardio (stairmaster with ankle weights) and 30x upper body strength*
    fri 40-45 min lower body strength (with ankle weights) 15-20 min core/abs

*Not sure what this means? 30min m-th or on friday? Can you give me a little more on that? Without that part it looks like light activity but once you add that in (assuming it is 30mins m-th) then it would be moderate...
  • amonkey794
    Sorry that does look a bit confusing :)

Mon-Fri: 60 minutes total workout.
    Mon-Thur: 30min cardio (stair master with ankle weights) and 30 minutes upper body strength.
    Fri: 40-45min lower body strength & 15-20min core strength (with ankle weights)

*just to make it easier to imagine. The ankle weights are on the full 60min Mon-Fri :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Even though your sedentary outside of the gym, while your in the gym sounds like you do a pretty decent workout.. if your trying to maintain, your going to focus more on your calorie goals..
    Your metabolism is based off a ton of different variables, but if your active (heart rate up) and doing a good workout for that one hour of the day (lifting heavy to build muscle, cardio for lungs).. then the rest of the day moving around then that is enough for your metabolism to not be sedentary(would put ya in moderate)..
    Eat/snack at various times during the day to keep your metabolism going and it shouldn't have any issues with you bumming around after the gym.. and that downtime can be spent having your muscles recover from your gym time.

With your weight/height you will want to weight yourself (Gasp i know a scale!) from time to time (NOT EVERYDAY) to make sure you are eating the correct number to maintain, and not gaining/losing.
  • amonkey794
    Okay. I'm working on my strength technique/method. I don't know all the ropes…yet :) I alsoam in the habit of weighing almost daily and though, I do need to cut down, I understand scale fluctuations :)
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Sorry that does look a bit confusing :)

Mon-Fri: 60 minutes total workout.
    Mon-Thur: 30min cardio (stair master with ankle weights) and 30 minutes upper body strength.
    Fri: 40-45min lower body strength & 15-20min core strength (with ankle weights)

*just to make it easier to imagine. The ankle weights are on the full 60min Mon-Fri :)

if you're working out an hour five days a week you're bordering between moderate and strenuous... definitely not light!
  • amonkey794
    I know my actually workout is pretty decent, but it's just once that is over I have a habit of bumming around all day (maybe doing a few errands, but not always) so I feel like that could effect it…but I guess I could be wrong.

Also I'm upping my calories gradually. What is a good amount to go with 100 cals a week seems to quick for the body to adjust and keep up with? Just my thought, I'm no expert lol. I really want to ensure as little shock to my system as possible :)

When you calculate your TDEE it is an average for the whole week, even if you have one or two rest days that is why you need to eat (for you maintaining) at TDEE EVERY DAY...Even on rest days...You would definitely be at least moderate bordering on strenuous...Don't worry about rest days - Your body definitely needs those to repair...Also, 100 calories is not a whole lot really b/c it could just be an extra cup of milk each day and that is it....I would go with 100 more calories each week so that you reach your TDEE and can stick with that....I hope this helps you a little more...And thanks for explaining your workouts a little better b/c that does affect your activity level greatly as you saw....You CAN do this!! :happy: