8 weeks in, going on vacation---now what?

Options
dzinergrl18
dzinergrl18 Posts: 105 Member
I started EM2WL June 1 and have now been eating at cut (not doing too well the last 2 weeks though) for about 8 weeks. I feel like in the last 2 weeks my brain has gone into a fog as to how this is working for me! :grumble: I did well the first month, dropped 5 lbs. and lost a good number of inches. This month though has been a struggle. I really wanted to lose another 5 lbs and be smaller before going on vacation, but that's not happened. I had a number of days where I went over my cut and weekends have not been good. I've actually put on 1.5 lbs (though am down another 1.5 inches about) and wonder if my body hasn't reset itself or I messed up somehow!! We leave for vacation this Thursday and I'm wondering what I should be eating at and if it's time for a break?

Here are my stats- CW184, Workout-moderate, 3-5 hrs (I do ChaLean Extreme and have been getting all 3 lifting days plus 1, sometimes 2 days of interval cardio or elliptical in). Body Fat % is 35.3 per fit2fatradio.com. After refiguring on Scooby's site my info is BMR-1538
TDEE-2384
Cut Rate-1907 (20%), 2026 (15%), 2145 (10%)

So, do I take a break week (or 2!) and eat at TDEE while on vacation? If so, do I still workout like normal, or as normal as I can do while gone? And if I change calories for vacation, what do I go back to once we get home?

Sorry if this is a lot of info, I'm just really confused and depressed about this right now! I guess I just got in my head I could get smaller before vacation and am bummed it didn't happen. It probably wasn't realistic to start with and I just need to get over it:grumble: I'm still smaller than 2 months ago, right?!!!

Thanks in advance for your help:smile:

Replies

• SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    It definitely sounds like it could be time for a diet break. As far as your activity level while on vacation, that's really personal preference. When was the last time you took a break from working out? If you decide to take a break, your body may benefit from the rest. Also, will you be doing more walking than usual while on vacation? You might find that you still feel active even if you're not doing your usual workouts. If you do decrease activity, since it's only one or two weeks, it's not necessary to change your activity level for that short period of time. Just go up to your TDEE based on your current activity level and eat that while on vacation.

Also, what level of cut are you doing? I noticed that you posted numbers ranging from 10-20%.
  • dzinergrl18
    Options
    I haven't taken a break from working out except for a couple days here or there. Since I usually do a program that's 60-90 days, I follow it and have Sundays off every week and maybe 1-2 other days if life gets in the way. But as far as a whole week off, not in a long time!

I probably will walk more, at least in the evenings. We'll be swimming and relaxing on the beach as well!!

I had gone down to 20% cut for the last 3 weeks, trying to have a better result before I left. But last week I averaged about 10-15% cut. I couldn't eat that low while pushing up my weights so much with ChaLean Extreme. I was STARVING all week! I wonder if that isn't my issue too. I might have put back on 1.5 lbs., but I upped my weights so much last week that couldn't get enough food. Maybe it's muscle?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Your muscles use water to repair themselves and to grow. While the entire 1.5 lbs may not be muscle gain at this point, much of it may be caused by your body working on that muscle growth if that makes any sense.

Also, if you're at a 15% cut and not getting the results you want, we usually suggest going up in calories, as in it's time for a diet break or perhaps you need a bit more than online calculators estimate for you.

Sounds like you will still be active on your vacation. I really wouldn't stress about working out if you don't want to. The r&r might do your body some good. But if it will make you more miserable to not work out, then by all means plan something that you can do while on vacation. Either way, enjoy yourself. The beach sounds fantastic!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Its possible you converted some into muscle, also if you started lifting heavier than usual it could be water weight from your muscles repairing themselves.. that happens alot, if you were sore after your workout then that could be the case..

As for your vacation, enjoy yourself.. have what you want, have fun, recharge your batteries.. thats my advice, don't worry about counting calories, or what you can/can't eat.. just think of portion control, and Try keeping away from the real sugary/tropical drinks (gotta have a few though if your on the beach).. then come back and start back at your cut.. I would probably only exercise while on vacation if it was early in the morning, I wouldn't take time away from having fun to hit the gym... you go on vacation a few times a year(if your lucky), don't spend it all in a resort/hotel gym.
  • dzinergrl18
    Options
    Your muscles use water to repair themselves and to grow. While the entire 1.5 lbs may not be muscle gain at this point, much of it may be caused by your body working on that muscle growth if that makes any sense.

Also, if you're at a 15% cut and not getting the results you want, we usually suggest going up in calories, as in it's time for a diet break or perhaps you need a bit more than online calculators estimate for you.

Sounds like you will still be active on your vacation. I really wouldn't stress about working out if you don't want to. The r&r might do your body some good. But if it will make you more miserable to not work out, then by all means plan something that you can do while on vacation. Either way, enjoy yourself. The beach sounds fantastic!

I hadn't even thought about muscle/water retention before writing this all out! I definitely will go up in calories over the vacation and when I get home. Thanks for your help!
  • dzinergrl18
    Options
    Its possible you converted some into muscle, also if you started lifting heavier than usual it could be water weight from your muscles repairing themselves.. that happens alot, if you were sore after your workout then that could be the case..

As for your vacation, enjoy yourself.. have what you want, have fun, recharge your batteries.. thats my advice, don't worry about counting calories, or what you can/can't eat.. just think of portion control, and Try keeping away from the real sugary/tropical drinks (gotta have a few though if your on the beach).. then come back and start back at your cut.. I would probably only exercise while on vacation if it was early in the morning, I wouldn't take time away from having fun to hit the gym... you go on vacation a few times a year(if your lucky), don't spend it all in a resort/hotel gym.

I'm going to take your advice and just use this week as a "recharge my battery" week. I will probably hit the gym some, but I like the thought of only doing it in the morning if possible. I don't want to stress myself throughout the day if it doesn't get done. The tropical drinks aren't too big an issue, I'm more a beer girl! But I'll watch all of that. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them:)

Thanks so much for your help! You and the SweatPants helped me calm down some:wink:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I agree with a diet break!
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i am also on the diet/exercise break bandwagon, its time girl! stay active and mindful of what/why you're eating on vacay - but other than that i would just relax!
  • dzinergrl18
    Options
    OK, since you all are saying "diet break/exercise break" I'm going to try that. My issue now is how do I get my anal-retentive mind (obsessed is probably a comparable word!) around not tracking for a week?! It's almost too freeing, if that's possible! I'm so used to watching and counting up everything, remembering it so I can put it in MFP...I don't know if I can get that part of my mind to shut off. But I will try:laugh: I will still take my bands and maybe do some light "lifting stuff" along with using the gyms elliptical or treadmill. But food wise...just going to try to eat lots of fruits and veggies and not beat myself up when I choose not-so-healthy food!

Thanks everyone!