eating while running

Options
I am starting to up my long runs past 14 miles, and I definitely found I needed to "supplement". My last run I split : (ate breakfast 1) ran 5 mi (ate breakfast 2) and ran 11 more. It was my best time, sub 10 minute miles for that long is an accomplishment for me, and I felt great, until like 730 pm (ouchie).

But I did have to stop at HOME during the break. heard about GUs, but was hoping I could do something more natural? I had apples and white flour pancakes during this run that felt good, so I feel like I'm on a good path.

What do you bring on runs?
is dried fruit and alternative? or would that be hard on the stomach?
do you use the caffeine GUs? thoughts?

ps- I wanted to add that I only split my run that way bc I ran with my dog for the first 5, and he couldnt handle more. I figure that I would eat later in the run if I were carrying food.

Replies

• jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a little something (in the 100-150 cal range) before I go on a run. If the run is less than 10 miles I don't bring anything else with me except water. More than 10 miles I'll usually have some nutrition with me, usually some type of energy chew and real food. The real food can vary greatly depending on how long I'm going to be out there; trail mix, fig newtons, boiled potatoes, pretzels, heck even a ham & cheese or PB&J sandwich on my super long runs (I train for ultras too). I tend to avoid the gels these days. I burnt out on them and can't stand them anymore.

Experiment, use whatever works for you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For my long runs (usually Sunday) I'll east at least a couple of hours before running (toast, peanut butter, yogurt & banana) and I make my own gel.

Very simple recipe & all natural (I use a Fuel Belt gel flask)

fill to the 3 line with honey, top up to 4 or 4.5 line with molasses add a pinch of salt and top up with water to dilute & shake well. Doesn't need refrigeration, one batch will do me for 2 x 2hr runs
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    For runs up to 3 hours, nothing.

I only use gels to practice for races. I will do a long run with 2 gels, maybe twice during the marathon training cycle just to make sure they don't upset my stomach. Otherwise, I prescribe to deprivation training. I want my body to be as efficient as possible at using the energy stores it already contains. That way, when I introduce a gel during the race, it's actually going to provide a boost as it's unexpected.
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For my long runs, I like to use gels because they're easy. I buy them & they're good to go until I need them. As far as caffeine or not, I actually alternate during the run. Fig newtons, PB sandwich, jelly beans & animal crackers all travel pretty well too. Definitely experiment w/ different gels & foods to see what works for you. Good luck to you! Feel friend to friend me. I'll be happy to offer support & advice.
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Your recipe sounds pretty good! I may have to try that!