Whey shake alternative??

bellabrite
bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
So I found out that whey shakes and I do NOT get along. I don't think it's something time will solve either -- and I'm not willing to try!!
What are some high-protein beverage alternatives (homemade or mix)?

I'm thinking one cup of greek yogurt with soy milk, fruit, and . . . . ?

Replies

• holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    You can try rice protein powder, soy protein powder, or brewer's yeast. All mix well into water, soy milk, coconut milk, regular milk, or whatever you happen to have on hand! I cannot have whey either, so I use all of the above to up my protein intake!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    they have other protein supplements besides whey, soy I think is one of them.. you could buy that and try it if Whey doesn't agree with you
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    I am going to try EAS soy protein from Wal-mart. It is affordable and I have read good reviews.

I would really love Sun Warrior...but it is too rich for my blood.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    I use Jay Robb Egg White protein.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    What kind of problems did you have because, I have been feeling some discomfort in my stomach and I can't quite pinpoint it…
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    I use EAS Soy protein powder. I get it at Walmart. Whey and I don't get along either. I find that any of the protein bars on the market bother my stomach as well, and low and behold, they have whey protein.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    What kind of problems did you have because, I have been feeling some discomfort in my stomach and I can't quite pinpoint it…

Are you by chance lactose intolerant? I am and since whey comes from milk, I think that is my problem with it.
  • bellabrite
    You know, I'm not really lactose intolerant. I eat cheese and everything.

I use Spiru-tein. There is a version without whey that is MUCH better on my stomach, but I still don't feel as comfortable as I would like.

The version with whey gives me insanely bad gas and bloating, and it never goes away until at least 24 hours after I last drank a shake. It's so bad that it's really not worth it. I have dealt with IBS in my life, but have been pretty clear for a year or more.

The funny thing is that a few years ago, I used the non-whey version of Spiru-tein for months and months (2 scoops/day) and had no problems.

I'm thinking maybe it's the amount of protein all at once. But greek yogurt has practically the same amount of protein, and I'm fine with that.
  • bellabrite
    Oh, and you know what else has the same effect? Kashi Go Lean Bars!! Apparently it's the chicory root!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Oh, and you know what else has the same effect? Kashi Go Lean Bars!! Apparently it's the chicory root!

chicory root or trictale (I think that's the spelling) kills me....I can't touch any of the fiber-one bars because of it (not that I really eat that type of stuff anymore)....
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member

Are you by chance lactose intolerant? I am and since whey comes from milk, I think that is my problem with it.

Dang. Yes. Nothing too severe, though. Ugh! :( no lie, I think it's worth it to continue it. Due to me being a veggie I need the protein :)
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    You know, I'm not really lactose intolerant. I eat cheese and everything.

I use Spiru-tein. There is a version without whey that is MUCH better on my stomach, but I still don't feel as comfortable as I would like.

The version with whey gives me insanely bad gas and bloating, and it never goes away until at least 24 hours after I last drank a shake. It's so bad that it's really not worth it. I have dealt with IBS in my life, but have been pretty clear for a year or more.

The funny thing is that a few years ago, I used the non-whey version of Spiru-tein for months and months (2 scoops/day) and had no problems.

I'm thinking maybe it's the amount of protein all at once. But greek yogurt has practically the same amount of protein, and I'm fine with that.

I didn't think I was lactose intolerant either until I started drinking the whey shakes and getting really sick. Learned that I actually am lactose intolerant and dropping almost all dairy from my diet caused me to immediately drop 6lbs in about 3 days. Greek yogurt doesn't have as much lactose in it. And most people who are lactose intolerant CAN have cheese. Just something to consider! My mind was blown when I was diagnosed with it, but I feel so much better now! Trust me, there are plenty of other options for protein that don't involve dairy (or meat most of the time in my case). You're welcome to check out my diary to get ideas!