Has anyone watched Dr. Robert Lustigs videos about carbs?

Arcamanda
Arcamanda Posts: 15 Member
I have become a huge fan of low carbing again after coming across information about how carbohydrates not only make you fat but lead to high blood pressure, high triglycerides, diabetes and heart disease. I have been googling like crazy!. If you ever have time Dr. Lustig has a great, very in depth you tube video on why and how carbohydrates wreak havoc on our bodies. Its called "Sugar, the Bitter Truth" <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dBnniua6-oM&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    I will definitely check that out tonight at home!
  • Awesome!
  • Great link i have been watching this on and off through the day. Some of it was a bit heavy for me ;-)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I started my nutritional journey with "Sugar, The Bitter Truth (Short Version)" by a guy called Sean Croxton from the Underground Wellness channel ... His stuff is well worth a watch and more accessible to those that don't like the heavy science.

Check out "The Sugar Trap" on YouTube from 1986, this is very prophetic.

And before this we have Yudkin's "Pure White And Deadly" book if you can find a copy.

When you consider that all carbs metabolise down to glucose in the end, it's a wonder we all aren't the size of a cow given the advice we have been fed.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    I watched the entire series, including Sugar:The Bitter Truth and I even watched Fat Head this week. Wow. Loved the info!
  • TheVimFuego
    I watched the entire series, including Sugar:The Bitter Truth and I even watched Fat Head this week. Wow. Loved the info!

I have a Fat Head 'Wheat Is Murder' t-shirt, I wear it grocery shopping :)

(edit) In the interests of balance ... In the Lustig presentation, there are several errors in there but they don't affect the overall message. A researcher called 'Zoe Harcombe' does a good job in explaining this in her book 'The Obesity Epidemic'.

She also drives a bus through the 3500 calorie deficit = 1lb fat loss nonsense in the book, highly recommended.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Yes :) I really enjoyed these videos! it really explained things to me in a simple way .. where as my doctor couldnt LOL!
  • THE BEST!
  • mstorvik

I have a Fat Head 'Wheat Is Murder' t-shirt, I wear it grocery shopping :)

(edit) In the interests of balance ... In the Lustig presentation, there are several errors in there but they don't affect the overall message. A researcher called 'Zoe Harcombe' does a good job in explaining this in her book 'The Obesity Epidemic'.

She also drives a bus through the 3500 calorie deficit = 1lb fat loss nonsense in the book, highly recommended.

Ooo! Will take note of that book!
  • TheVimFuego
    Ooo! Will take note of that book!

I've proabably mentioned this to you before as I tend to reference it everywhere ... A freebie book summarising her take on nutrition:

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/20-diet-myths-busted/

The Obesity Epidemic expands on these points and is well worth a look.

I am also a big fan of The Smarter Science Of Slim which does a good job of explaining how our bodies will defend a set percentage of fat in the face of calorie restriction and how to lower the set point.

If I was to recommend 2 books, one for the science and one for the background on the flawed dietary advice that we have been given then these would be them.

Not as heavy as something like 'Good Calories, Bad Calores' but just distills the main points down. Which is all some people want :)
  • TheVimFuego
    John Yudkin's Pure, White and Deadly from way back:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2FsXfJXQyd2QnNWYWpHQVJfLXM/edit?pli=1#

The link says it hasn't been virus scanned (too large) but is clean for me.

Here is Lustig being interviewed by Alec Baldwin (not as cringeworthy as it sounds):

http://www.dietdoctor.com/sugar-free-alec-baldwin-interviews-dr-robert-lustig

The problem with Lustig is, as the comments below the interview point out, he doesn't walk the walk. He also recommends whole grains and legumes, which are NOT healthy (for gut health reasons to name one).

His focus is relentlessly on sugar/HFCS/etc which, while a good thing to target, is not the be all and end all to health.
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    I watched the Lustig videos last night. There were 7 in all, each about 7 to 10 minutes. I found them extremely informative although after reading Good Calories, Bad Calories, Why We Get Fat and Wheat Belly, the message is beginning to sound quite the same.

I'm a believer hands down that carbs are the enemy, now if I can figure out how to get my carb count down more and my calories up, I think I might be in good shape.
  • mstorvik
    I watched the Lustig videos last night. There were 7 in all, each about 7 to 10 minutes. I found them extremely informative although after reading Good Calories, Bad Calories, Why We Get Fat and Wheat Belly, the message is beginning to sound quite the same.

I'm a believer hands down that carbs are the enemy, now if I can figure out how to get my carb count down more and my calories up, I think I might be in good shape.

I'm the opposite... I can't seem to eat under a certain amount of cals even when very low carb. haha! Also, I am a high school math teacher and so therefore your user name is AWESOME!
  • mstorvik

Yup - Read it when you suggested it before! :) Passed it on, too.
  • TheVimFuego

Yeh, there is a lot of repetition once the general principles 'click' with you. I think I'm at the point where I don't need to read anything else and I'm down with what I need to do.

But still shiny new books tempt me and 'One Click Ordering' for my Kindle is fatal :)

The more dense books like "Good Calories" stand repeated reading as there is no way you can absorb it all in one read and having read others it helps to pull everything together.

Carbs down, calories up? Hello fat :)

How many calories? Good question and one that I am currently experimenting with ... eat more (good food) and do less is my motto this week.
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    How many calories? Good question and one that I am currently experimenting with ... eat more (good food) and do less is my motto this week.

Take today for instance. Got up a bit late due to teenager troubles, had a quick protein shake and headed off to the gym. Came home, showered and went to the market for vegetables and more eggs, had a sandwich (yes I know very bad for low carb) and it was quite filling and delicious. Took water with me.

Got home and began to prepare dinner. Grilled zucchini, grilled salmon, salad and some other stuff for the grounded teenagers that I didn't eat.

Very full after the meal, feeling so great because today marks exactly 8 weeks since I started this journey and down 17 pounds.

The kicker, only 1067 calories consumed. Not as low carb a day as I had yesterday granted the sandwich might have been a mistake but I'm still learning. So I eat an Atkins bar just so I can add 210 calories to my day, but I didn't even really want it!

So, I know adding an avacado helps on salads to bring up good fat and calories but it's a struggle every day to get over 1100 calories. Almonds are great snacks but I need more ideas than this.

My new books:

The Insulin Resistant Diet Cheryle Hart
    The Blood Sugar Solution Mark Hyman
    The Ultrametabolism Cookbook Mark Hyman

I'm hoping that recipe ideas will help me fill in more than 1100 calories a day. I would prefer to be around the 1500 - 1700 mark but I'm at a loss what to eat because I'm still in that newbie stage and adjusting to the low carb lifestyle.

I'll get it eventually right? I'm sure I will, I just need more reading time!
  • TheVimFuego
    The kicker, only 1067 calories consumed. Not as low carb a day as I had yesterday granted the sandwich might have been a mistake but I'm still learning. So I eat an Atkins bar just so I can add 210 calories to my day, but I didn't even really want it!

So, I know adding an avacado helps on salads to bring up good fat and calories but it's a struggle every day to get over 1100 calories. Almonds are great snacks but I need more ideas than this.

My new books:

The Insulin Resistant Diet Cheryle Hart
    The Blood Sugar Solution Mark Hyman
    The Ultrametabolism Cookbook Mark Hyman

I'm hoping that recipe ideas will help me fill in more than 1100 calories a day. I would prefer to be around the 1500 - 1700 mark but I'm at a loss what to eat because I'm still in that newbie stage and adjusting to the low carb lifestyle.

I'll get it eventually right? I'm sure I will, I just need more reading time!

I'd steer clear of the Atkins products to be honest, I don't think they are as healthy as they make out. It's tricky to get a snack on the go but I'd rather eat some raw nuts and/or some fruit than a processed bar.

Rather than have an Atkins bar just for energy I'd opt for adding some coconut oil into something, it's an easy way to up the fat and calories AND the fat will help the metabolism because there is no way it is getting turned into fat tissue due to it's structure. I used to chug it neat (takes some getting used to ...) or dissolve it into warm water. Some people add it coffee ...

I cook in Supafry 100% animal fat which helps the cause.

Looking back a few days most of my fat intake comes from eggs, beef mince rissoles, sausages (processed but tasty ;)), cheese, the Supafry and raw nuts. Oh yes, and the heavy cream I have in my morning coffee (which I don't log ... I am slack ...).

To be honest if your energy is good and you aren't hungry I wouldn't sweat the calories. I have days where I am struggling to eat enough but they are balanced by relative foodfests.

I'm going to check out the books, not heard of those, ta :)
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    So much good info here. Thanks, all!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    now if I can figure out how to get my carb count down more and my calories up, I think I might be in good shape.

To get calories, I have 60 grams of walnuts with my salad every lunch.

400 calories, 40g fat, 0g cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 10g protein, 8g carbs.