Prone Jackknife

Options
Anniel88
Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
Hi everyone!

I started Stage 1 today and I think I did pretty well for my first day! The only exception is that I could barely even stay on the ball for the prone jackknife let alone actually do the movement!

Does anyone have any beginner tips or ways to get started with this exercise? Is this something I should just keep trying to do as is or are there better beginner tricks to build into the exercise? Do you have any good how-to videos? (I found one video that was recommended on another thread, but the guy was basically doing a hand stand and I didn’t think that was very practical for my skill level at this time.)

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used this one when I got started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdH4qo3X9GM&feature=related

She makes getting on the ball look really easy :-) but that's the way I do it....kind of. I lean into the ball with my shins, lean over the ball and put my hands on the floor. I then roll up onto my knees and walk my hands out 'til my torso is extended and extend my legs from there. (I hope that makes sense.) The closer the ball is to your knees the easier it is. The closer it is to your feet, the harder it gets.

To get off, I just reverse the process. I get into the "tucked position" with my knees under me, walk my hands backwards until I can just roll off the ball.

Good luck. This is one of my favorites. But it was interesting getting started.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I just started last week and fell off more times than I was on.
    Last night I did all 8 for both sets and stayed on with out any problem.
    My Tips:
    Skin on the ball (cloth from work out clothes to slippery)
    Mount the ball at hip level (for lack of better terminology, your crotch) and roll forward using your hands to pull you into plank position (skin on ball at this point).
    If you can't get your feet/ankles to be on the ball, start with knees/shins, work your way into it.

You'll be surprised how quickly your body will adapt to this exercise!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    They will definitely get easier with practice.

I get into position by putting one knee on the ball, then putting both hands on the floor in plank position, then I put my other knee on the ball and adjust my hands/knees as needed.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i start about 3 feet back from where i want to do the jackknife, squat down, put my stomach on the ball and roll my whole body over the ball until I'm forward enough that i ends up at my shins and my hands are where i planned them to be.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was actually able to do the full set today so the tips worked! :)
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was actually able to do the full set today so the tips worked! :)

Awesome!!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    i start about 3 feet back from where i want to do the jackknife, squat down, put my stomach on the ball and roll my whole body over the ball until I'm forward enough that i ends up at my shins and my hands are where i planned them to be.

That's what I do too!
  • justgin1
    justgin1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Me too, works like a charm.