Full fat or low fat?

Options
bathsheba_c
bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
Do you guys go for full-fat dairy or low-fat dairy? I'm interested in hearing what people have to say since I grew up in a country where nearly all the dairy was low fat, but am currently living in a country where full-fat is standard.

Replies

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Full fat is definitely traditional. Low fat usually has more artificial ingredients. However I eat both. I just eat less of full fat.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Full fat any time for me.

I can't stand the taste of margarine and hydrogynated fats. I'd rather have butter but less of it.

I also don't bother with fat free yoghurts etc. Bleurgh!
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Full fat.

Anytime something is removed from a product it is replaced with something else. Usually if fat is removed it is replaced with sugar. You should be wary of anything that has had components removed.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but what about things like milk? Low-fat just involves skimming the fat off the top, and then replacing some of the nutrients that get lost.

I say that there should always be some fat because you need fat in your diet, but I can see that people might reasonably choose to go for lower fat if they have high cholesterol or are trying to reduce calories.
  • jessiannwillman
    Options
    Yeah, but what about things like milk? Low-fat just involves skimming the fat off the top, and then replacing some of the nutrients that get lost.

I say that there should always be some fat because you need fat in your diet, but I can see that people might reasonably choose to go for lower fat if they have high cholesterol or are trying to reduce calories.

Skim milk is nothing more than dry milk powder and water. Unfortunately it is much more heavily processed than simply skimming the fat off. In order for the milk to be fat free they have to dry it using high pressure. Then add water. The "nutrients" (if you can even call them that) they add back hardly even begin to cover the nutrients lost in the processing. Do some research on the cholesterol myth. Saturated fats and cholesterol are actually essential to our health, not detrimental. As a whole, America has gotten fatter and heart disease has sky rocketed because of following the low fat, low cholesterol nonsense. All of the anti-cholesterol hype is based on a faulty study, than was fudged to up the sales of margarine. You should always consume full fat dairy products that are preferably raw from pasture-raised cows. :smile: