No room for presses - can you do them sitting?

Options
I've just acquired a squat rack - not a full power rack, but I'm just starting, so I should get at least 6-12 months out of it before I need to upgrade to a full power rack. Put it in my garage (cliche, I know...), and started my 5x5 program today.

Now the bad news... there ain't no way I'm going to have enough head room to press the bar with bigger than 25's. What are the pros and cons of sitting? (I think I know some of them, but I'd like input from others with more experience)

Thanks!!

Replies

• DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Just work out on the driveway. At least until the snow flies.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but it seems like doing them seated would be more of an isolation exercise and not incorporate the stabilization requirements that standing would.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I also do them seated because I have to, those 7ft. basement ceilings suck. If you use a flat bench, there's still some stabilization work going on. It's definitely a compound movement, but not to the extent standing presses would be. Thanks for the driveway idea. I have an extra oly bar, I'm going to take it and a few plates outside.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I was thinking about doing them outside until the weather starts to suck (translation: snow). Still, with squats every workout, there's plenty of stabilization work going on there, so losing that part of doing it seated might not be too bad to give up. I'll try it both ways and see which feels better. Maybe it will be outside til we get snow, and then seated for the long dark winter.
  • winf
    winf Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    some people throw a mat on the floor and do over head press on their knees
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    some people throw a mat on the floor and do over head press on their knees

^^ This would be my suggestion