Please Help, Plateau'd!

sl1ngsh0t
sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
Thanks for having time to read this. I'm so discouraged.

I am 36, 5'6, and have plateau'd. Today I weigh 139lbs. I have extra fat around my midsection, which is why I know I have to lose more body fat. I am working on strength and core training because I would like to build muscle, be stronger, and have a flatter stomach.

My history: On March 26th, 2012, I weighed 150 lbs. I started eating 1,450 cals total, was going to the gym 3 nights a week to do the treadmill & bike, and lost 5 lbs. In May, I started eating at 1,200 cals total for 3 months (because I was on JM's 90BR meal -plan) and lost 9 lbs. before stalling out. I was exercising a half hour a day with JM BR and going to gym at least 2 nights a week for 2 hrs (bike, treadmill).

I was recently married (July 13). The week before, I'd completed BR and switched to 6wk 6pk & RI30. I also switched up to 1,500 cals total, then went on honeymoon/took a break hoping a change in diet & fitness was what I needed to break through this plateau. That was 2 weeks ago. I have lost nothing. I got down to 135 the week after coming back...and went right back up.

The only thing I can think of is that 1. My body is readjusting to eating more cals 2. 1,500 was still too low 3. I need more strength training.

I should add here that I don't have a HRM and guesstimate cals burned. I don't eat them back. I do try to eat as cleanly as possible. Today I upped my cals again from 1,500 to 1,754. Any insight into what the heck I am doing wrong and knowledgeable advice as to how to get myself re-oriented is deeply appreciated

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Hi there!

I will suggest that you go here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    and figure out your BMR, TDEE and TDEE -15%. (enter your actvity based on the number of HOURS you exercise per week)

Once you have those numbers, compare them to the "numbers" you're eating now.

I am thinking that you are in for a surprise.

The EM2WL method is not a diet, plateau buster or any other fad diet you may see.
    The goal here is to NOT diet~EVER~FOREVER.

After a period of VLCD (Very Low Calorie Dieting) which is basically what you are doing, your metabolism is damaged and your body does not trust you to feed it what it really needs. So it holds onto every, single thing you put in it (after a short period of allowing it to drop weight) and will no longer allow itself to shed weight.
    Some people call it a plateau.
    WE call it a damaged metabolism and sometimes "malnourishment".

Most of us go through a "healing process" called Metabolism Reset and it is quite difficult to go through but SO, SO worth it in the long run.
    You will eat at TDEE for a period of appoximately 8 weeks and you will most likely gain some weight during that time.
    After the Reset, you will go to the "Cut" phase which is NO MORE than TDEE- 15%.
    This is when you SLOWLY will begin to lose weight again.

The purpose is to naturally lose weight while eating the most food your body will allow to continue losing.

Bottom line: we want to eat like grownups and not 4 year olds.

Do some reading of the stickies and find out what we're really all about. If you choose to stay, we'll be here for you!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    I got curious so I went to Scooby and did your numbers:

BMR 1394
    TDEE 2161 (mod exercise)
    TDEE-15% (Cut) 1836

You're not eating enough.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    Yes, I had run my numbers before posting today. I had been looking at the stickies as well (which caused me to run my numbers right, thank goodness for the info!)

I guess I just stuck with it because 1,200 cals had worked sustainably before and I was afraid to switch it up. I've used a couple different sites to obtain BMR & TDEE and, of course, got different figures. I guess it's where you fall within the range, right? fattofit gave my BMR at 1401, daily cals, 2,111. I took off the 15% and arrived at 1,794. Is it necessary to eat at full TDEE (for me,. 2,111) before cutting the 15%

Thanks for answering my questions. I had a feeling I wasn't eating enough!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    How long have you been doing the 1200 kcal?
    You can try to eat at your cut level. Keep it there and try to be consistent. If nothing changes over 2or3 weeks, I would consider doing a reset.
    But please don't be tempted to go to lower cals, even if you are gaining a bit.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member

^^ Love this!! ^^
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member

^^ Love this!! ^^

Me too!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Is it necessary to eat at full TDEE (for me,. 2,111) before cutting the 15%

If I was you I probably would just try 1800 calories for a month and see how it goes.. with your diary being closed I can't see what you have your macro's set at.. BUT you should be eating atleast 150 of protein a day.. so if your not adjust your eating habit to less carbs/fat to make up for protein consumption.
  • beautifullyblessed16
    beautifullyblessed16 Posts: 180 Member

^^ Love this!! ^^

Me too!

Me three!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    How long have you been doing the 1200 kcal?
    You can try to eat at your cut level. Keep it there and try to be consistent. If nothing changes over 2or3 weeks, I would consider doing a reset.
    But please don't be tempted to go to lower cals, even if you are gaining a bit.

I did it for 3 months before upping to 1,500 three weeks ago/going on my honeymoon/eating whatever. Yesterday I upped again to 1,794.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    Is it necessary to eat at full TDEE (for me,. 2,111) before cutting the 15%

If I was you I probably would just try 1800 calories for a month and see how it goes.. with your diary being closed I can't see what you have your macro's set at.. BUT you should be eating atleast 150 of protein a day.. so if your not adjust your eating habit to less carbs/fat to make up for protein consumption.

Diary fixed! Please know there's a lot of 'blank' in my journal right now due to me trying to go off my schedule and eat whatever in order to see if it would help.

I thought about just eating at 1,794 (which is the number fattofitradio gave me) and just keep exercising.