Starting tomorrow: Excited but nervous

Options
snowbab
snowbab Posts: 192 Member
I think I FINALLY get the actual workout plan. So confusing with all the letters and numbers but after reading throught the book and threads multiple times it now seems quite simple (in theory anyway!)

Anyway I recently reached my goal weight of 120 pounds and now want to build muscle and this sounds like an effective and do-able workout plan.

However I am really nervous about entering the weight room tomorrow. I've never weight lifted before and I'm afraid I'll look like an idiot failing at all of the moves and I'm quite self conscious and worried that I'll do even worse because I think people/the men there, are judging me badly. Did anyone else feel like this and did you soon get over it?

Also, I am a student with little money,starting university in September. The workouts look really short and I feel like i won't be getting my money's worth of my gym entry? But I don't know if cardio is a good idea? How long do the workouts get after the initial few, and is it worth perhaps buying a membership for the two months before I go to university? Icould start once I get there instead for cheaper gym fees but I am keen to get started now haha.

Sorry for the long list of questions and mini rant hidden between the lines! Thanks in advance for any answers though ^_^

Replies

• mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You'll do great! The Stage 1 workouts are pretty short, but in Stage 4, my workouts take over an hour to complete. Start with lower weights until you feel comfortable in the weight room and move up from there. I'm sure you'll make great strides!
  • snowbab
    Options
    Thanks :) That makes me feel a bit better haha. wow over 1 hour! That will be challenging :D

I'm just hoping my form will be ok because I'm working with a kindle so it's harder to skip to the different moves. But practice makes perfect i
    I guess!
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Once you get to uni you should be able to get a session with a trainer relatively cheaply, this would be useful to check your form. Either that, or when you have a gym induction you could use that to check. I started at home, using the pics in the book and occasionally using a YouTube clip.
  • snowbab
    Options
    Yes maybe I should wait until university as I know they have a good set-up with new members for a few weeks. PLus it's only £70 for an annual gold membership! I can't wait!

Maybe I'm being a bit impatient and wasting my money if I start today? I just really want to strat building muscle and toning right away.

Is there anything else I could do in the next 1.75 months that doesn't involve a gym fee or expensive home equipment? I can't afford to buy home equipment seeing as I'll be leaving in just under 2 months.

I've done these youtube vids called 'blogilates' in the recent past which use body weight, and found them challenging/ they make me sore. Maybe that would be good and then I'll have better strength to begin with once I get to university?

I'm terrible at decisions so any help is appreciated. Do I go ahead and start now, or wait and meanwhile use the 'blogilates' workouts (or any other free workouts people can suggest)

Thanks in advance again!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Not sure how gyms work where you are, but I imagine you should be able to find one that would allow you to join for about $30/month without a long contract. IMO that's not a waste of money and since it will only be for a short time it would be worth it.

You could also check out bodyrock.tv - they have free body weight workouts posted daily that could help get you started.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

However I am really nervous about entering the weight room tomorrow. I've never weight lifted before and I'm afraid I'll look like an idiot failing at all of the moves and I'm quite self conscious and worried that I'll do even worse because I think people/the men there, are judging me badly. Did anyone else feel like this and did you soon get over it?

Also, I am a student with little money,starting university in September. The workouts look really short and I feel like i won't be getting my money's worth of my gym entry? But I don't know if cardio is a good idea? How long do the workouts get after the initial few, and is it worth perhaps buying a membership for the two months before I go to university? Icould start once I get there instead for cheaper gym fees but I am keen to get started now haha.

If you want to start now, then I would. See if you can sign up for just a week-to-week membership until you get to school, or sign up for 1 month (August only)?

I was nervous to venture into the free weight area too, but anyone who would judge you isn't worth worrying about. If you make mistakes, that's how you learn. Just keep trying. The important thing is to just woman up and do it. Everyone's there for a reason, and most people are just focused on their own workout (or their own reflection, lol) to pay much attention to anyone else. :)