August is for lifters - Check in and Chat Thread

Options
123457»

Replies

• jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    squats 115- completed 5x5
    OHP 70- Completed three full sets at 5 reps and failed on two sets after the 3rd rep (boo!)
    Deads 165- completed 5x5

I think it's time to try mico increases on OHP....5 pounds is killing me. It's hard to gain strength on a caloric deficit afetr a point too. Saw a great idea somewhere else...use ankle weights for micro increases.They velcro right around the bar! Luckily, I have some and won't have to go buy anything.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I ended up buying fractional plates and they have been a great investment. I have to microload on everything except deadlifts at the moment. I really struggle with the OHP and wish I could get to your weight on that! I'm doing Starting Strength so only do 1x5 of deadlifts which makes them a lot easier. I think I'd be wiped out doing 5x5!

We're getting to the end of August and my progress has been slow, but not quite as backwards as it was in July (when I deloaded to fix my squats). I did deload the deadlifts as I was having to pause between reps.

Squats 123 lb
    OHP 46 lb
    Bench press 79 lb
    Power snatch 55 lb
    Deadlifts 137 lb
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I had my first proper 5x5 session yesterday since I hurt my shoulder. I deloaded a little on everything (a lot on OHP) and am ready to build back up and improve form. I did

65kg squats
    70kg deadlifts
    20kg OHP

It all went ok and was nice to be back in the gym properly. :) Heres hoping I can strengthen my rotator cuff and avoid any future issues.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I ended up buying fractional plates and they have been a great investment. I have to microload on everything except deadlifts at the moment. I really struggle with the OHP and wish I could get to your weight on that! I'm doing Starting Strength so only do 1x5 of deadlifts which makes them a lot easier. I think I'd be wiped out doing 5x5!

We're getting to the end of August and my progress has been slow, but not quite as backwards as it was in July (when I deloaded to fix my squats). I did deload the deadlifts as I was having to pause between reps.

Squats 123 lb
    OHP 46 lb
    Bench press 79 lb
    Power snatch 55 lb
    Deadlifts 137 lb

I need to buy fractional plates too (my gym only has the 2.5lb ones)....I'm just cheap so I thought about using the ankle weights, lol! As far as SL and deads, it is only a 1x5 as well. I do two warm up sets and then the working weight at 1x5...I think it would wipe me out too if I had to do deads at 5x5 :)
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Stronglifts now for about a month.
    Stats as of yesterday are:

Squats: 132lb (60kg)

Deadlifts - 187lbs (85kg)

Overhead press - 77 lb (35kg)

Bench press - 77lb (35kg)

Barbell Row 77lb (35kg)

Still getting all my 5x5 reps in.

Feel like i'm starting to hit my limit on the Squats and Deadlifts (am very sore today) so definitely won't be doing any more skipping ahead which i did a bit up until now (i had done NROLFW before so figured i had some lifting experience).
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Today was a weird day all around... was really unmotivated to go work out but I went and it turned out pretty well actually!

Squat: 115lb
    OHP: 45lb
    Deadlift: 105lb

Form feels dead on, and I'm feeling great. Really excited for the next OHP - 50lb was where I got stuck last time. Will be interesting to see if I can push past it this time.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Last night (I'm doing 3 sets instead of 5)

Squats: 105 lbs for 3x5 (so up next time. Last rep on last set was hard, but others were ok)
    Overhead: 60 for 5/4/3 and OMG is this freaking hard. The last rep on each set went up oh.so.slowly. and I almost couldn't lock out or get under. I did, eventually, but ugh! Yeah, going up in small increments on this one.
    Deadlifts: 110 lbs for 5 reps (I think I fixed some form issues. This was the first time where I truly felt it worked most of my body. I wanted to collapse after. It was harder than when I was at 120 before).
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my form sucks. I'm doing an orientation appointment on Friday to get some help.

I have too much weight on the front of my feet during squats, and I'm only doing 55lbs. I'm not sure how to correct this.

My lower back hurts after deadlifts at 105.

My OHP might be okay? I'm at 50 right now.

My bench feels really easy still at 55, hopefully I'm doing well on that.

Rows are difficult, but I finally stopped turning my wrists out.

I'm thinking I'll have the trainer take me through one set of each move so that I can be sure I'm doing it right.

Happy lifting ladies!
  • ishtar13
    Options

I have too much weight on the front of my feet during squats, and I'm only doing 55lbs. I'm not sure how to correct this.

Hmmm, are you thinking about having the weight go in a straight line up and down over the mid-foot?

Pushing through the heels? Feel like you're pulling the floor apart with your feet?

Sinking your butt down and back?
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Hmmm, are you thinking about having the weight go in a straight line up and down over the mid-foot?

Pushing through the heels? Feel like you're pulling the floor apart with your feet?

Sinking your butt down and back?
    Your description is a good reminder for ME! Knee is sore today so I won't be adding any weight till I work this out. Wheezy, you're not alone.
  • ishtar13
    Options

Your description is a good reminder for ME! Knee is sore today so I won't be adding any weight till I work this out. Wheezy, you're not alone.

:)

My knee hurts when my knees cave in on the up part. Concentrate on "knees out".
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I hit 100 pounds on my squats today :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Husband watched my form and he said it was great!

Todays workout:

Squats: 100 pounds 5x5

Bench: 90 pounds (5, 5, 5, 3, 3)

Rows: 90 pounds/85 pounds - 2/4, 4, 3, 4. I tried upping my weight to 90 pounds but couldn't get more than 2 reps up to my chest with proper form. So I dropped back down to my old weight of 85 pounds and still failed, LOL!! Since this was my 3rd attempt at 85 pounds, I am going to deload next time to 80 pounds. This seems to be my weakest lift.

I ordered a set of fractional plates off of Amazon, I think upping the weights by 5 pounds each upper body workout is not working for me. So I got a pair of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 pound plates, should be coming soon.

Great job everyone! This finishes up week 8 for me, and I have to say I am loving the results! My body has shrunk down, and gotten so much firmer. My cellulite has noticeably reduced even though my weight loss has slowed down considerably! Which tells me I am losing body fat. I'm sticking with it! Happy lifting everyone.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Ishtar - great advice as usual! I'm so grateful for you knowledgeable ladies helping us. This is a great group for support.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Today felt really good, even though I backed down my weight on a couple of lifts. I think I went up too much or too soon.

Squat - 65 down from 70 till my knee feels better
    bench - 57
    row - 57
    OHP - 45 down from 50 which I failed on
    deadlift - 90! Felt great!
  • ishtar13
    Options
    I hit 100 pounds on my squats today :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Husband watched my form and he said it was great!

I ordered a set of fractional plates off of Amazon, I think upping the weights by 5 pounds each upper body workout is not working for me. So I got a pair of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 pound plates, should be coming soon.

Great job everyone! This finishes up week 8 for me, and I have to say I am loving the results! My body has shrunk down, and gotten so much firmer. My cellulite has noticeably reduced even though my weight loss has slowed down considerably! Which tells me I am losing body fat. I'm sticking with it! Happy lifting everyone.

Fantastic milestone! 100 lbs squats feel so good!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Finished out August with some progress on my squats. Two pounds away from big girl plates finally, but I gave everything I had on squats last night and failed miserably on bench. Bar stuck on my chest at 86 lbs., just 1lb. more than my last workout. I made a spectacle of myself, rolled the bar down until it stopped at my belly, then dumped the weights. Proof that the men in the gym are paying me no mind, it took the dumping of the weights to arouse the attention of one of about 10 guys working out in the vicinity and for one to respond. Although I didn't need help by then. A female coworker was also nearby, so I employed her to spot me on the miserable remainder of my workout.

Squats 133 lbs.

DL's 155 deload from 165

Bench press 80

Looking forward to a more productive September.
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    DL'd 135lbs today...just because I could :D
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I'm back in now..and regretting taking almost 3 months off.

Squat: 80
    OHP: 50 stalled on my last set and only got 4
    DL:105
    Bench:70
    Rows: 65
    Gah, I hate rows
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    This morning was nothing new, but definitely felt an improvement in my squats. Deloaded a little after hurting my shoulder, and now back at 70kg with better form, and ready to move up. I've decided that I'm gonna drop squats back to 3 sets, 5 at 70 is just too much, I'm stalling. I can do three really good sets, but the last two are always a bit wobbly, so I'm gonna focus on gaining strength and form whilst upping slowly.

I did 25kg rows, which is a big drop, but working on form, and didnt want to go right back to where I was after my shoulder. Did 35kg on bench, which was ok, but a lot harder. I've changed my form slightly, bringing the bar further down over my chest (instead of pushing straight up and down, making sure the bar is more over my chest/ribs than neck) and its MUCH harder, but shouldnt put as much strain on my shoulders :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Hey there everyone!

I have been going to the gym since April this year, following a 3 year haitus brought on through overtraining (half marathon finished me off) and damaging my immune system. Hit a downer, gained some weight, broke my toes, wrist and hand last year (March, June and November) and decided I needed to get healthy and positive again, with a bit of temperance. Took on a personal trainer, decided he only wanted to see me wince, then discovered stronglifts on Mehdi's site and have been doing strength training (now with yoga once a week for stretching) for 6 weeks. Had a couple of injuries (achilles tendonitis from running in my vibrams too long and fast at first and wrist strain from hitting myself with a swingball bat) so the 6 weeks are not complete : (

Anyway, here are my stats, etc. I am a single, working mother of two kids, 10 and 13, I am 38, have always been strong, but wanted to get back to pure strength training again as it really seems to be my forte. Am enjoying seeing the gains in strength as well as the changes in my body, and also the quizzical looks from the men in the gym, haw haw. I have gained (if calculations are correct) 7 lbs of muscle since April. My measurements are smaller and my clothes fit me differently (tighter on the legs and bum and loose on the waist) I am a UK size 14 and weigh in at 162lbs. I am a big, strong girl, in other words : ) Am looking to trim the fat soon. I cycle as my only means of transport (so count this as my cardio), for between 40 mins and 2 hours per day.

Squats - 87.5kg (192.5lbs)
    Bench Press - 55 kg (121lbs)
    Barbell Row - 70 kg (154lbs)
    Overhead Press - 37.5 kg (82.5lbs)
    Deadlifts - 82.5 kg (181.5lbs)