What should your "net" be at the end of the day?

glwerth
glwerth Posts: 335 Member
I've been confused as to what my "net" on my home page should be at the end of the day.

I have myself set at low activity so I can eat more the days I exercise.

Having some trouble getting in enough protein, but working on it. Usually eat too many carbs, also working on it.

But, still confused as to what that little box should say at the end of the day. As it stands right this minute, it says 190.

I still have 1700 calories to eat today.

And I'm confused.

Please help.

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Whatever your original caloric goal was before logging any food or exercise is what you should NET :)
  • glwerth
    Whatever your original caloric goal was before logging any food or exercise is what you should NET :)

OK, so it should be the cut value I figured out with the BMR and TDEE.

Thank you!
  • amonkey794
    Diary wise. Maybe you could add some eggs, Greek yogurt, lean meats (breasts and stuff for more calories? ), protein powder, quinoa has a fair amount of protein. Fats wise maybe add olives, avocados, (raw preferred) nuts & seeds, natural peanut butter, fish or any other seafood if you like it (also protein), healthy oils

Just suggestions :)
  • amonkey794

OK, so it should be the cut value I figured out with the BMR and TDEE.

Thank you!

Yes
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Your net will not necessarily be your calorie goal for the day. Let's say your TDEE - 15% is 2300 calories and your BMR is 1800 ('m making these up - go by your own numbers that you've calculated). If you don't work out that day you'll end up with a net of 2300 calories (assuming you consume your exact number which never really happens). But let's say you work out and burn 400 calories while eating your 2300 allotted calories. You will net 1900 calories. This is over BMR so you are safe to stop eating for the day. Let's say the next day you work out and you do something that has a really high burn and end up with 700 calories burned. You will now be at NET 1600. That 1600 is below your BMR, so you will need to eat more food until you are over your BMR of 1800, so your net should at least be 1800 (in your case, whatever your specific BMR is).

To explain further, your exercise calories are already figured into your number when you use the Scoobysworkshop, Fat2Fit, or whichever online calculator you used. So you will not need to eat back exercise calories. Consistently eat that number, sometimes more if your burn takes you below BMR. Does this help at all?
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    A question that I'm struggling with too, well I get I need to eat above BR but fail most days. Shall I reset my scooby figures based on no exercise as I do still log my exercise for my records - will that make my figures cleaner? I am doing ok feeling the benefit of eating more but like I say still cant hit BMR most days let alone my TDEE cut totals.

My diary is open if anyone can offer any guidance thanks.
  • MrsAFR
    MrsAFR Posts: 103 Member
    I have my MFP set to losing 0.5lbs sedentary (which is my TDEE at Sedentary as well roughly) a week and I eat back my exercise calories so that I NET above my BMR of 1578 but below my TDEE (with Exercise) of around 2300.

Thats the aim anyway - doesn't always happen that way.

Just Net above your BMR and Below TDEE.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    I have my calorie allowance set at 1890 for moderate exercise -some days I will net that with exercise, but other days, if I do less, I try to net around my BMR (1475). So I do eat back some exercise calories. I am probably active a bit more than the moderate level but a bit less than the strenuous level. The weight started to go back on when I upped to the calorie allowance suggested for strenuous activity, so now I keep it at the moderate level and allow myself to eat back a bit more if I've done a big workout.
  • glwerth
    Your net will not necessarily be your calorie goal for the day. Let's say your TDEE - 15% is 2300 calories and your BMR is 1800 ('m making these up - go by your own numbers that you've calculated). If you don't work out that day you'll end up with a net of 2300 calories (assuming you consume your exact number which never really happens). But let's say you work out and burn 400 calories while eating your 2300 allotted calories. You will net 1900 calories. This is over BMR so you are safe to stop eating for the day. Let's say the next day you work out and you do something that has a really high burn and end up with 700 calories burned. You will now be at NET 1600. That 1600 is below your BMR, so you will need to eat more food until you are over your BMR of 1800, so your net should at least be 1800 (in your case, whatever your specific BMR is).

To explain further, your exercise calories are already figured into your number when you use the Scoobysworkshop, Fat2Fit, or whichever online calculator you used. So you will not need to eat back exercise calories. Consistently eat that number, sometimes more if your burn takes you below BMR. Does this help at all?

Thanks for the explanation. I've been struggling with even the idea of eating....to lose weight, it is pounded into our heads that we must restrict a lot. I've restricted myself into being over 300 pounds from the lose/regain cycle over the years.

So, on the calculator (Scooby, set at moderate activity, since I walk dogs 3x a day plus do 5 or so workouts per week) for my current weight of 315 ('cos I'm a really fat lady right now):

My BMR is 2146
    My TDEE is 3326
    If I subtract 500 cal. from 3326 my cut value would be 2826 (which seems terribly high)

SO, I should not eat under 2146 in any case.

Most days I should really be eating that much? Or should I cut more because I'm huge (like 1,000, which would take me to 2300ish?

Thanks for all the help! I'm normally fairly bright, but this is confusing to me.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member

Thanks for the explanation. I've been struggling with even the idea of eating....to lose weight, it is pounded into our heads that we must restrict a lot. I've restricted myself into being over 300 pounds from the lose/regain cycle over the years.

So, on the calculator (Scooby, set at moderate activity, since I walk dogs 3x a day plus do 5 or so workouts per week) for my current weight of 315 ('cos I'm a really fat lady right now):

My BMR is 2146
    My TDEE is 3326
    If I subtract 500 cal. from 3326 my cut value would be 2826 (which seems terribly high)

Most days I should really be eating that much? Or should I cut more because I'm huge (like 1,000, which would take me to 2300ish?

Thanks for all the help! I'm normally fairly bright, but this is confusing to me.

I get 2827 for TDEE - 15%, so we're coming up with the same number for your cut. That is what you should eat every day!!! If you have a huge burn and drop under your BMR number, then eat more so that you end the day with net calories over BMR. Do not cut more - keep it at a reasonable 15%. If/when your loss stalls, go UP in calories to your TDEE (the entire 3326) for a diet break. Also, make sure you refigure your numbers after every 5 lbs lost. Your weight loss will be slower this way, but your metabolism will stay intact and revved up and you will have energy to LIVE! You can do this!
  • glwerth

My BMR is 2146
    My TDEE is 3326

I get 2827 for TDEE - 15%, so we're coming up with the same number for your cut. That is what you should eat every day!!! If you have a huge burn and drop under your BMR number, then eat more so that you end the day with net calories over BMR. Do not cut more - keep it at a reasonable 15%. If/when your loss stalls, go UP in calories to your TDEE (the entire 3326) for a diet break. Also, make sure you refigure your numbers after every 5 lbs lost. Your weight loss will be slower this way, but your metabolism will stay intact and revved up and you will have energy to LIVE! You can do this!

Once again, thanks for the assistance! It is nice to be able to eat again.

And, since I started eating more, I'm losing about .5 every 5-10 days. It isn't a lot, but it is a downward trend.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    These are excellent food choices, I use every one of these foods. denise
    Diary wise. Maybe you could add some eggs, Greek yogurt, lean meats (breasts and stuff for more calories? ), protein powder, quinoa has a fair amount of protein. Fats wise maybe add olives, avocados, (raw preferred) nuts & seeds, natural peanut butter, fish or any other seafood if you like it (also protein), healthy oils

Just suggestions :)
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    This may be a stupid question but I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this so bear with me!! I use a fitbit to track all of my activity except for my workouts - I actually track them on mfp. Now with my fitbit linked to mfp, it gives me food credits for anything above and beyond my workout calories burned throughout the day. So I guess my question is this....If the addition of my fitbit credits take my net below my BMR, should I eat more to get up to my BMR or should I ONLY worry about the workout calories?? I'm really confused about this!! HELP!
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    This may be a stupid question but I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this so bear with me!! I use a fitbit to track all of my activity except for my workouts - I actually track them on mfp. Now with my fitbit linked to mfp, it gives me food credits for anything above and beyond my workout calories burned throughout the day. So I guess my question is this....If the addition of my fitbit credits take my net below my BMR, should I eat more to get up to my BMR or should I ONLY worry about the workout calories?? I'm really confused about this!! HELP!

Ditto this question please.

I have my MFP set to active....which gives me 2700 in overall daily activity burn. I have fitbit linked and on average I burn about 2700 a day.....I am not doing anything more than making sure I walk enough to hit my 2700 burn for the day. So I am letting fitbit make the minor adjustments for me right now when I go over my goal burn. So like today....I am going to top 2900 for today's TEE per fitbit.....however, I spent too much time in the sun and lost my appetite in the latter part of the day. I ate enough that my "net" number went up over my BMR about 50 cals just so I would be over BMR. Did I do that correctly?