How much is too much???

Options
dawnemjh
dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
I just recently started to cut back on carbs, and I am having a hard time trying to figure out how many calories I should eat each day, and howmany carbs.

Prior to 4 days ago when I started, I was eating around 1600 cals, and occasionally would eat back my exercise cals, and then I had 1 day a week where I would eat at maintenance (around 2400). I used to eat anywhere from 100-250 carbs/day, usually average of 125-150). I have noticed that past 2-3 days that I am still hungry after 1500-1600 calories. My carbs are now around 70, not including fiber. I am at about 50 or so grams net carbs.

thoughts??? On days when I workout, I do tend to eat a little more, but this week I just had some stuff going on, so I had 2 days of no exercise, so I really wanted to stay around 1500, and in the past I have been able to no problem, but doing low carb I noticed that doing 1500, I was still hungry....HELP!!

(thanks!!!)

Replies

• icanhaztp
    icanhaztp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I stick to a strict 20 or less net carbs per day. I have massive insulin resistance, so when I eat many carbs there is no stopping the hunger until I've really, really overeaten.

As far as calories go, I just try to listen to my body. If I'm hungry, I eat, and if I'm not I don't. It usually ends up being around 1500-1700 cals on weekdays and 1200-1400 on weekends.

If I were you and I were still feeling hungry, I would try to reduce carbs and increase fat while maintaining the calorie deficit. That SHOULD help you feel more satiated.
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have also been struggling with this. I have been doing what I thought was "low carb" only to read what others are doing is far less than myself.

I think I'm leaning in the direction this must be a personal thing. If I adjust my carb intake to less than 50, I just feel horrible but I bump it back up to between 75 and 100 and I feel like I could accomplish anything. I'm eating around 1200 calories a day and don't feel hungry. (The 100+ temps might have something to do with that)

I tried so hard to get into what everyone calls Ketosis, but my head hurt so bad and I couldn't do my Zumba workouts I was so out of energy. I'm resigned to the fact that this may never happen for me but I'm ok with that.

I'm going to do what feels the best for me. I am still losing weight, it seems to be melting off. I didn't think it was possible after the hysterectomy and hormone replacement meds but it's working great. Until that changes and slows down, 75 to 100 is going to be ok. I can lower it later if I feel I'm stuck right?

I just hope I still fit into this Low Carb group, I really like this particular board and hope I can contribute after I feel more confident in what I'm doing.
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I keep mine around 100-120 a day. I have lost 20 lbs. it is very slow but I am happy and feel great. Do what's best for you. Adjust if you need to,
  • brooksingletary
    brooksingletary Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    From what I have read (spoiler alert: not that much), I have learned the following:

Less than 50 carbs per day = ketosis (generally not advised)
    50-100 carbs per day = fat loss, therefore losing weight (if you are watching your carbs and want to lose, this is you)
    100-150 carbs per day = maintaining weight (at the weight you want, stay here)
    150-300 per day = gain weight
    300+ = Death (not really, but Danger Zone)

Here's where I got this info, which I originally found in his book, Primal Blueprint.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/#axzz22OtEYNS7
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have also been struggling with this. I have been doing what I thought was "low carb" only to read what others are doing is far less than myself.

I think I'm leaning in the direction this must be a personal thing. If I adjust my carb intake to less than 50, I just feel horrible but I bump it back up to between 75 and 100 and I feel like I could accomplish anything. I'm eating around 1200 calories a day and don't feel hungry. (The 100+ temps might have something to do with that)

I tried so hard to get into what everyone calls Ketosis, but my head hurt so bad and I couldn't do my Zumba workouts I was so out of energy. I'm resigned to the fact that this may never happen for me but I'm ok with that.

I'm going to do what feels the best for me. I am still losing weight, it seems to be melting off. I didn't think it was possible after the hysterectomy and hormone replacement meds but it's working great. Until that changes and slows down, 75 to 100 is going to be ok. I can lower it later if I feel I'm stuck right?

I just hope I still fit into this Low Carb group, I really like this particular board and hope I can contribute after I feel more confident in what I'm doing.

Hey there, sorry to hear that you are struggling.

To be honest I would not worry about the holy grail of Ketosis initially, just cutting back on the carbs should provide some benefits.

If you aren't feeling too good on 50g carbs I would try adding a little salt into your diet, this is a common complaint (Atkins Flu) as the body naturally dumps sodium as part of the process of adjusting to a fat-based diet.

The adaptation process can take up to 4 weeks so I wouldn't quit until then :)

During this period trying the exercise regimes that you are used to may be tricky too, I would just back off and give it some time ...
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    From what I have read (spoiler alert: not that much), I have learned the following:

50-100 carbs per day = fat loss, therefore losing weight (if you are watching your carbs and want to lose, this is you)

Here's where I got this info, which I originally found in his book, Primal Blueprint.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/#axzz22OtEYNS7

I like Mark Sisson and am wearing a 'Grok On' t-shirt right now, fact :)

I tend to hover below the 50g ketosis range, it just feels right for me.
  • brooksingletary
    brooksingletary Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Can't say I blame you. I'm somewhat new to low-carb and my love of all things bad for me has made me keep at least 50 carbs/day, but I aim for about 75. First couple of days weren't that fun, but now it's awesome!

I love that book! I think I've read it cover to cover at least five times. Ha.
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks DeadVim, maybe I should give it another try. I ordered some books from Amazon, they should arrive tomorrow. (those people own my credit card and my soul) Already read Taubes and the Wheat Belly books and found them interesting. I'm a mathematician, physics and computer person not a biologist so I had to re-read a lot of it to understand. I would love to see some current research or even some data from recent trials but haven't ran across any.

I watched those videos you posted yesterday as I was working on syllabi for fall semester. I enjoyed the English chap, John Briffa. Love the Eades as well, seem like true genuine folks. I thought the movie Fat Head was pretty funny. Tends to make you think they are onto something.

I'm just starting out, I'll get the hang of it and give it another college try after I get some recipes.
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!! I just worry about taking in too many calories, because it seems like if I am hungry, and I want to eat something low carb, its usually higher in fat and cals, so I would end up eating more cals over all. I am trying to keep the carbs low, and if it wasnt for a fruit per day it would be well under 50, but I NEED the fiber to keep things moving....
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, you might want to try adding fat (or more fat) to every meal. You may know this, but when you are eating low carb, you need to eat high fat.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!! I just worry about taking in too many calories, because it seems like if I am hungry, and I want to eat something low carb, its usually higher in fat and cals, so I would end up eating more cals over all. I am trying to keep the carbs low, and if it wasnt for a fruit per day it would be well under 50, but I NEED the fiber to keep things moving....

You want lean protein then, maybe. Chicken, sliced turkey, grilled marinated tofu squares, dried edamame, an ounce or two of cheese.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This week I've cut my carbs from 150+ to 100. I used to do 20-40. Been on eat more to weigh less, at 150+carbs/day for the last 8wks. Today I AM SLEEPy. Like painfully trying to stay awake. Yesterday I was mean& stressed. Maybe I'll bump to 120.....don't know how I used to do this! Going to go nap now :-). What do your macros look like for low carving?
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Math_Geek, I am also an analytical kind of person (a software engineer by trade so it figures), I like reading up about the science, the hormones, the whole holistic thing (hippy alert ;)) and absorbing the different viewpoints and angles.

I swallowed (literally) the flawed 3500 calories deficit thing and paid for it big time.

I have been lucky enough to have had some spare time to read up lately (read: Nobody wants to give me a job ;) Soon to be rectified) so I've read a heap of, admittedly, mostly complementary books.

But time and time again the science bears it out ... Just manage the insulin with whole, filling, natural foods, avoid the potentially bad stuff (processed stuff, sugar, grains, legumes and dairy for some), don't go nuts with stressors such as bad sleep and excessive exercise and the body will adjust down to a naturally lean state, existing medical conditions excepted.

I find re-reading stuff like Good Calories, Bad Calories, The Primal Blueprint, The Smarter Science Of Slim, The Perfect Health Diet, etc also makes it crystal clear that many people are finding the same things.

And I ramble a lot ;) I should just confine all this to the blog but I can't help banging on about how this has completely freed me from worrying about food or fitness.

And it makes me ANGRY that people have, understandably, been conditioned to think that:
    - Dietary fat is bad
    - Calories are all that matter
    - We need to exercise off xxxx calories to manage caloric balance
    - Cholesterol intake is an issue
    - High cholesterol is an issue, just take the statins ... argggghhh!
    - The food pyramid/myplate/whatever is a sane way of managing weight

So many people struggling when they need not be. Yes, it doesn't work as well for some people but for the insulin resistant it generally works spectacularly well.

And don't get me started on the advice for diabetics ... Eat 300g of carbs, take the insulin, you have a condition that will only get worse ... THIS IS MENTAL.

<Soap Box Off and Relax> :)
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    So I know you all may not know, but should I be concerned that I didnt lose anything much since I started low carb 5 days ago? I mean 2 weeks ago I was 167.8 or so, then 1 week ago jumped up to 174ish, now 1 week later 172.6. On Monday I think I weighed in at the gym and I was 173 or somewhere around there. Thats when I started doing low carb, and I have been eating about 50gms net SHould I see much in the way of results yet? Because last friday at same time/same scale I was 171.8. and Now I am 172.6

Sorry to ask so many questions. Not sure where else to turn!!
    ALso if I have a cheat meal, like I go out to eat or something, will that undo everything?? I have been really limiting fruits and legumes, and this is not something I plan to do forever, (avoiding fruits legumes that is)..
  • ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You might open your food diary so people could see what exactly you are eating for your low carb diet. 5 days isn't a lot of time, but generally you should experience a pretty significant weight loss in the first couple of weeks.

Since you are so new to low carb have you considered following a plan to help you understand what types of foods you should be eating and how much? There are so many different nutrition plans to choose from and I think it might help you. Or talk to a nutritionist or your doctor to see what they might recommend as a healthy diet for your individual needs.

Good luck!
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have a rather odd question that I hope doesn't turn anyone off. Does low carb eating affect the "plumbing" i.e. constipation and/or the reverse? If so, what should one do about:glasses: that?

Thanks!

mdp
  • ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi Pennell12,

No problems here, I work a couple tablespoons of ground flaxseed into my daily diet and drink lots of water. I also make sure to have some low carb veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, etc every day.

If you stick to meat and cheese I could see trouble a-brewin though!! :P
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have a rather odd question that I hope doesn't turn anyone off. Does low carb eating affect the "plumbing" i.e. constipation and/or the reverse? If so, what should one do about:glasses: that?

Thanks!

mdp

yup, flax, coconut oil, psylium husks?? too, i've heard. never tried it.
    or just buy fibre supplements.
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    ok I opened my diary!!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Ketosis is a perfectly healthy state to be in. The only time it poses a health risk if said person has kidney disease or a severe DM issue with multiple manifestations.

CramerNH