Exam time! Any tips?

Options
bathsheba_c
bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
My teacher told me and another student yesterday that he wants to test us for yellow belt (the first rank after beginner) soon. I am super-excited, but worried that I'm going to mess up from the excitement. :)

Anyone have any pre-exam tips? Rituals?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Same as when you took tests in school -- relax. If you can, find out what you'll be tested on and review it (including any supplementary/knowledge stuff, if you have more than just kata/moves). If there are any tests going on before yours, and if you're allowed, it can help to watch them so you know what to expect.

The first test is probably the scariest because you haven't done it before and don't know what to expect. Watching others helps, but above all, just relax. You've got this, and if your teacher has enough confidence in you to recommend you for testing, then he knows you've got it, too.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I agree! Just relax and breathe deeply.

What day is your test? If it's in a day or two, just ask your instructor if you can go over forms and techniques, but do them slow so that you get the technique down and you don't rush and mess up. Also, if you do manage to make a mistake, ask your instructor if you can re-set and do the technique again. At my TKD school, my instructor gives us that opportunity to do so. This past weekend when i tested for my green belt, i messed up on my one-step sparring, and i asked for a reset........and got it. Best of luck to you and the other student who is testing! I'm sure you'll do well!
  • medlicott68
    Options
    Relax, breathe, and enjoy the experience. Go over any katas/forms you will need to do. My instructor always tells us that before we are tested for a higher rank, he already believes we have reached that level of competence......the testing is only to prove it to ourselves. Believe in yourself, and good luck.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Just do what you know, your instructor would not test you if he/she did already know the out come. They will not set you up to fail.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Everyone gave good advice.

One last thing is to try to enjoy this. It is your chance to show what you have learned, so prepare and then relax and enjoy it.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Show spirit, enthusiasm, and confidence.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Options
    *edit
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What they said, and have a great test!
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Practice, practice, practice, then practice again. On test breathe deep, relax, and trust in your practicing.
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think you're probably right that I wouldn't be tested if my teacher didn't think I was ready; he definitely seems a lot less excited for the test than I am. Testing day is probably next week!
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Good luck, the first time is scary! My school tests everyone at the same time so there are a couple of hundred in the hall. They put tapes on your belt as you master each area and work with you so you get them all in time. Each tester watches about 8 people, so it isn't too bad. However, I will miss grading this time as I am going on hols, so I will have to do it by myself! Scary!

Good luck!
  • raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My teacher says the only way we fail our test is if we give up, so...don't give up! Just keep going, you must already know everything if he is ready to let you test. It's all about how you react under pressure.
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    YELLOW BELT!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ChasingStarlight
    Options
    Congrats! That is great. How did you feel?
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    Hyper, mostly. :) In my school, we only both paying association membership and getting a full uniform when we get to yellow belt, so when I got to class and my teacher said he had something for me, I sort of started asking like a three-year-old, "Is it pants? Is it pants? Is it pants?"
  • ChasingStarlight
    Options
    A belt and pants! I hope you got a top too!
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    Yeah, turns out the outfit comes with a top, too, but I've never actually seen anyone wear it. It has long sleeves, so I'm going to continue using my t-shirt, which also has the association's logo and my school's information. Even though it's in boy measurements, and my head barely fits through the hole. :)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's really an exciting feeling when you are promoted to the next level!
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    YELLOW BELT!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats!!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Options

congrats!!

I concur! Well done!