I really need some advice!

lh1626
lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
I am sincerely hoping someone will answer my post! : )

I just bought an HRM today and have had it on for about 2 hours...It says I burned 800 calories in 2 hours, however I did do 30 day shred but I only burned 200 calories while doing that. It was first day, so I just took it easy.

I figure I am up for at least 15 hours/day. 800 minus 200 for my exercise is 600 calories calculated over two hours. That comes out to my body burning 300 calories/hour x 15 hours per day= 4500 calories per day I am burning

I have yet to see how the rest of the day will shape up and maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but can that be right? I put in my age and gender. It did not ask me for height or weight. 4500 calories seems like an awful lot to me. My resting pulse rate is around 79-80 beats on average.

Any advice...thoughts...or am I completely off? I have a Sportline HRM.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Hi there!

hRM are not designed to take your TDEE. They are good for elevated heart rate, while exercising,but not for normal life activities.

For that a FitBit or a BMF are the more accurate options.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    mmmm well im not familiar with your hrm but my one does need age and height in, its a polar ft4.

if you want to compare I'm 39 yr old female, 5ft2 144lb and when I do 1, 30 day shred my hrm burn is 200 cals too.

hrm can be innaccurate when worn for 24hrs due to oxygen input/outage apparently but I have worn mine for 24hrs a couple of times and came up with 2300 give or take 50 both times.

To me you would need all details input to get a correct burn or you could end up being overestimated like some cardio machines that dont have all your details.

Have you put your data into the scooby workshop calculator? for me it was bang on.....I ate at tdee for 100 days and maintained but lost fat and cms. Now Ive taken a small cut and the scales are dropping.

all the best:flowerforyou:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Hi there!

hRM are not designed to take your TDEE. They are good for elevated heart rate, while exercising,but not for normal life activities.

For that a FitBit or a BMF are the more accurate options.

Noor is right. I wouldn't use your HRM to determine your TDEE.
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Thank you! I did not know there was difference between a fitbit and an HRM. I am trying to get an accurate TDEE on me. I did use scooby but thought this would be a good route to go too.

On the plus side...I did walk around my neighborhood too and my HRM had me burning more than Run Keeper.

I am going to check into fitbits....any particular one you would recommend?