Man Food Recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Last night I tried a recipe for crock pot pulled BBQ chicken. It was VERY good.

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (my total was 32 ounces)
    1 bottle BBQ sauce (I used a small bottle of Sweet Baby Rays Original)
    1/2 can Diet Cherry Coke
    1/2 cup brown sugar

Put everything in the crock pot for 4 hours on low. Then shred the chicken and cook for 1 hour more. Mine ended up being about 72 calories an ounce.

It was really good!!!!
    Sounds good. I make a similar dish with a pork roast, chipotle peppers, brown sugar and Dr. Pepper.

I am going to try your chicken recipe.
  • gregwhitley
    gregwhitley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So, I don't know if this counts as "man food", but I make a recipe for taco lettuce wraps that even my wife and kids like better than with tortillas:

1# 93/7 ground turkey
    1 pkg McCormick taco seasoning
    fat free sour cream
    salsa
    chopped cilantro
    lime juice
    hot sauce
    iceberg/boston/butter lettuce
    kroger 2% 4 cheese mexican blend

Brown and drain turkey. Add taco seasoning according to pkg directions. Spoon into lettuce leaves, and add all other ingredients to taste. I can eat a BIG helping of this (like 3-4 loaded wraps) for ~640 cal.

recipe_21758166_82727.jpg
  • MKLAMAN
    MKLAMAN Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Not low calorie by any means but after the boy was born a neighbor brought this over and it was so good we got the recipe from her:

No Boil Beef & Tomato Pasta Bake
    Serves 8
    Serving Size 1/8 of a 9x13 dish
    Calories per serving: 523
    Carbs: 39
    Fat: 28
    Protein: 31
    Sodium: 1061
    Sugar: 4

10 ounces dried pasta (I used rigatoni but you could use whatever)
    1 pound browned 85/15 ground beef
    4 large cloves garlic, roughly minced
    ONE 28 oz can diced tomatoes w/ juice
    2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon salt
    dash of black pepper
    2 cups milk (I used skim)

Cheesy Basil Topping:
    1/2 cup dried italian breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup loosely packed fresh herbs like basil, thyme, and sage (I just used a teaspoon of each of these from the little jar, not fresh)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    dash of black pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil

Heat the oven to 400.

In a large bowl, mix the dried pasta, browned ground beef, garlic, diced tomatos (with the juice). Stir in the salt and papper. Stir in the shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. Spread this mixture in a 9x13 glass dish sprayed with cooking spray. Pour the milk over everything. Tightly cover with TWO LAYERS of aluminum foil. Bake for 50 minutes or until the pasta is tender. Remove from oven and turn the oven up to broil.

Meanwhile, prepare the herb topping. In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, herbs, salt and papper. Drizzle the olive and mix until the texture resembles wet sand.

After the pasta bakes for the 50 minuts, remove the foil and spread the herbed breadcrumbs over the pasta and return to oven Broil for 5 minutes or until the topping is toasted and crispy on top.

Let cool for 10 minutes.

You could also use chicken instead of the beef to lower the calories.

Lightly spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Oh bumping this !!!!
    Awesome recipe ideas !!!