New with a couple questions

Options
Onederchic
Onederchic Posts: 128 Member
I asked this in one of the sticky topics but realized maybe that was the wrong place. I tried to delete it there but seen no option to do so and I apologize for the double post.

Hi everyone. My name is Michelle and I am glad to have stumbled upon this awesome group.
I am like a lot of people and have always believed less calories is best for weight loss but after joining MFP and reading so much information here, I am starting to change my mind. In 2008, I was at my highest weight of 333lbs. By 2010, I had lost 160lbs by cutting calories (was getting about 1500 average) and doing 45-1 hour exercise 4 or 5 days a week. Then I got comfortable and lazy and stopped tracking foods and working and have gained 55lbs in the last year and a half (yikes!). I restarted my weight loss effort 2.5 months ago by eating 1200-1300 calories a day plus working out 1.5-2 hours day and then wondered why I was so tired, grumpy and hungry all the time.

I just have a couple questions if anyone can help -

My workouts to me are not hardcore and I workout 5 days a week. I do a 5 mile DVD (Leslie Sansone) when I wake and then later I will do a DVD that incorporates hand weights and strength moves (ie Jillian Michaels - No More Trouble Zones, etc etc). When I use the calculator to get my BMR and TDEE, should I use the moderate exercise option or...? Also, would I lower my calories on days I do not workout and if yes, should I keep it at BMR?

Sorry for the ramble and the questions, I have been reading, I promise so if I missed something that would answer my questions already, I apologize.

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!
    Go by the actual number of hours exercised per week, instead of the descriptor.
    If you're doing the reset, then eat at TDEE for 6-8 weeks (6 is the minimum). This is recommended if you've been eating at a VLCD (very low calorie diet) for an extended time.
    If you're trying to lose, then eat at TDEE-10 to15% (no more than 15%, or you may stall out very quickly).
    It's also recommended to take a "diet break" every 4-6 weeks, eating at TDEE for a week.
    Recalculate your BMR and TDEE every time you drop 5 pounds.
    Take pictures and measurements every couple of weeks, even when the scale doesn't move the measurements will.

Hope that helps:wink:
  • Onederchic
    Onederchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!
    Go by the actual number of hours exercised per week, instead of the descriptor.
    If you're doing the reset, then eat at TDEE for 6-8 weeks (6 is the minimum). This is recommended if you've been eating at a VLCD (very low calorie diet) for an extended time.
    If you're trying to lose, then eat at TDEE-10 to15% (no more than 15%, or you may stall out very quickly).
    It's also recommended to take a "diet break" every 4-6 weeks, eating at TDEE for a week.
    Recalculate your BMR and TDEE every time you drop 5 pounds.
    Take pictures and measurements every couple of weeks, even when the scale doesn't move the measurements will.

Hope that helps:wink:

Thank you so much for the information :)