Going thru a Weight Loss Plateau

Options
Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced a weight loss plateau? How did you overcome it?

I have been stuck in my current weight for a little over a month. I would like to lose the last 5-10lbs to reach my goal. I read articles of changing exercises and lowering the caloric intake, so I've been trying to make these changes too.

Feel free to share your experiences, give advice, and add me as your friend too

Replies

• birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had a 5 week plateu. The weight has started to come off again although slowly. I think as you get closer to your goal weight it gets harder to lose.

I started Insanity and upped my calories, that seems to be working for me.
  • JeNaKizz
    JeNaKizz Posts: 19
    Options
    Thats good! Yeah, I've heard of Insanity thru my bf cause he worked at BeachBody. Those are some hardcore workouts lol
  • Dimpszz
    Dimpszz Posts: 40
    Options
    I hit a plateau for over a month. Even when I lowered my calories, I still wasn't losing the weight so I started doing P90x. Once I started the program, my plateau was done and I got back to losing weight & inches.
  • JeNaKizz
    Options
    Hmm, seems like both of you ladies changed your exercise regime. I need to up mines too. Thanks on both your inputs!
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've just come through a three week one. My TOTM was two weeks late and I think,my hormones we're all over the place. As soon as it arrived I've started dropping again.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling or intermittent fasting for the win!
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I had a long plateau and I've just started losing again. I ended up getting my metabolic rate tested and going to a nutritionist as well. I have a thyroid disease so I was sort of hoping to blame my difficulties on that!

It turns out that for me (I am 43), the calories that MFP assumed for exercise burn were way too high. I am pretty sporty (exercising 50+ to 120 minutes a day, six or seven days a week) and, according to MFP, I could eat lots more as a result. If I "completed my diary" it would say in 5 weeks I would weigh significantly less than I did 5 weeks later, even though I stayed under (according to MFP) every single day. Unfortunately, that is not the case for me. When I eat as many calories as MFP says, I maintain or even gain.

I am 5'9. My current weight is 155 and I am trying to get to 150. My resting metabloic rate (calories I need to maintain my weight if I don't exercise) is 1700. I stayed around 157/8 lbs for what felt like FOREVER. Now I am eating less (1600- 1900 cals a day) and exercising hard (swimming hard an hour, lifting with a trainer, riding 25 miles, running) every day and finally seeing the sale move (albiet slowly).

Good luck!
  • stephirocks2012
    Options
    I use a seven day calorie cycle that ranges from 1200-1900 per day. I also burn anywhere from 700-1000 per day. Keep your body guessing, that is the only way not to get stuck in either a weight loss or a workout plateau!
  • JeNaKizz
    Options
    I had a long plateau and I've just started losing again. I ended up getting my metabolic rate tested and going to a nutritionist as well. I have a thyroid disease so I was sort of hoping to blame my difficulties on that!

It turns out that for me (I am 43), the calories that MFP assumed for exercise burn were way too high. I am pretty sporty (exercising 50+ to 120 minutes a day, six or seven days a week) and, according to MFP, I could eat lots more as a result. If I "completed my diary" it would say in 5 weeks I would weigh significantly less than I did 5 weeks later, even though I stayed under (according to MFP) every single day. Unfortunately, that is not the case for me. When I eat as many calories as MFP says, I maintain or even gain.

I am 5'9. My current weight is 155 and I am trying to get to 150. My resting metabloic rate (calories I need to maintain my weight if I don't exercise) is 1700. I stayed around 157/8 lbs for what felt like FOREVER. Now I am eating less (1600- 1900 cals a day) and exercising hard (swimming hard an hour, lifting with a trainer, riding 25 miles, running) every day and finally seeing the sale move (albiet slowly).

Good luck!

Thank you for your input. I do agree with you that MFP suggests the calories but I still stay at the same weight. I've been trying to lessen my caloric intake for a week, then the next week I increase it. Just testing how my body reacts if there are any changes.
  • JeNaKizz
    Options
    Calorie cycling or intermittent fasting for the win!

I'm actually trying the calorie cycling right now. Some days I eat less, other days I eat more when I work out
  • JeNaKizz
    Options
    I use a seven day calorie cycle that ranges from 1200-1900 per day. I also burn anywhere from 700-1000 per day. Keep your body guessing, that is the only way not to get stuck in either a weight loss or a workout plateau!

Awesome! I will try that as well :smile: