I MUST SHARE THIS

Options
rosied915
rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
There's a guy "Tony" on the General Thread who is calling himself a Dietician (with credentials AND a following) who is volunteering his time to dispense free nutrition advice on MFP. :devil:

So, OK, I bit and started reading through the 10+ pages of his thread. (fortunately it was mostly "bumps")

It was all going pretty well and his advice sounded reasonable UNTIL......

he told a woman who was eating 800 calories a day and NOT losing, to CUT her calories!!:explode:

WHY did I waste 20+ minutes of my life reading that?:mad:
(it must be the "car accident" theory where ya just GOTTA look!)

Replies

• 202685tracy
    202685tracy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hope you butted in!! ;)
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i knew he was a bit fishy, so i just avoided the thread
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    omg, someone needs to post him that link to the sticky that's got the study of the obese women eating 700 cals a day and not losing. how can ANYONE possibly survive on less than 800, let alone less than 1200. oh my god someone needs to stop this guy ASAP. i hope that woman doesn't follow his advice.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I saw that and thought, what true professional would identify themselves and open up to a possible law suit over the internet?
    He never said where he got his credentials, and there were several other things (besides the 800 cals)he answered as bogus.
    He was asked a technical question that a nutritionist should know (I'm not but did).

Just more Bro science!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I didn't waste time reading it. I read his original post and didn't really like it. I also wondered what kind of professional would offer free advice on a discussion board .
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    He told at least 2 people that it was fine to fast an entire day if they felt they wanted to. I was surprised, I mean, is that safe? It doesn't sound like it would be.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i knew he was a bit fishy, so i just avoided the thread

yep, me too!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    aaarrrrgghhh:explode: go see my post to him...:grumble:
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yep I read most of it last night. His standard advice when not losing seems to be 'reduce calories by 10%'. How can he give advice like that when not knowing what calories someone''s eating. Ho hum.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    He told at least 2 people that it was fine to fast an entire day if they felt they wanted to. I was surprised, I mean, is that safe? It doesn't sound like it would be.

It's called Intermittent Fasting & many swear by it! Some people are also using biblical premises behind fasting an entire day. I believe in fasting for your faith but NOT for weight lose!! And their are many ways to fast without cutting all food for the day. Many are misguided and it is sad!!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I didn't get past the first page. The questions themselves were just too ridiculous. Some could be answered with basic common sense :/ it was quite sad really…