Older students

Options
char316
char316 Posts: 72 Member
Are there any older students. (ie I'm in my 50s) I am working a graduate degree in Pastorial Studies while a work full time to support myself. I find it is a huge amount of work. Somehow just seems more difficult than when I was younger. Does anyone relate to this?

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm not your age but work with a ton of people that are 35+ at my work going to school. They do it!

I'm 24 and still in school. I am not old but should be graduated by now. Still have a couple years too. Ugh!! :P
  • char316
    Options
    Sorry I didn't check this earlier. Don't worry about not graduating when everyone else thinks you should. I have been going to schoo my entire life, or so it seems. I have been the most successful as an older student. Graduated from nursing school at the age of 33, with two young children :)
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and a Sophomore. I plan on pursuing my master's, so I have a long ways to go. I am a much better student now than I was at 18 (when I first started college). 4.0 GPA since I restarted last fall.
  • babyangel6806
    babyangel6806 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am 28 and working on my masters degree. Not exactly where I planned to be in life right now but things happen and you live and learn. I would like to eventually continue on to get my PsyD. Currently holding a 4.0 (even though that may not be the case anymore after this class) :cry: :cry:
  • SunnyLuc87
    Options
    I'm in my mid-20's working on a second bachelors (hopefully in a more useful field this time) while working, but not full time. I know you're looking for someone who can relate and I don't really fall into that category but I wanted to say that what you're doing is amazing and I know how difficult and stressful it is to work full time & go to school. I struggle enough as it is to get everything done while working less than 40 hrs a week, but I go to school with and work with people who do it (some of whom also have kids), so it can be done.

After dropping out I did take a hiatus for a while to just work for a while & when I came back it was a little hard to get back into the groove, but for me it is coming back to me slowly. When you're older than the traditional student, even by a little bit, it seems you appreciate and understand the importance of your education so much more.
  • rais87
    rais87 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi!

I´m 25 and working on finishing my two master´s degrees, so also a little older than most of my fellow students.
    I do agree with you that it feels like a lot of work but in my case I think this is due to the fact that I take it very seriously now and know what I want.
    However, completing something that seems difficult or a lot of work is all the more rewarding! :)
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily older, but I am a fourth year undergraduate with three small children. It's tough balancing a part-time job and a family while in a class with people 3-5 years younger than I am. Keep pushing forward! I'm trying to.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am in my first year of Grad School. I'm 33, just finished my undergrad in May.
  • char316
    Options
    It is good to see other people in this position. I think I have been a student most of my adult life. I went to nursing school after my husband & I separated when I was 29 yo. Then finished by BSN. Now working on a Masters in Pastoral Studies. I don't anticipate I will be able to retire but I hope to work as a chaplain or in some way for the Church. I find it a different kind of challenge these days. For one thing I am also trying to take care of my mother and work full time. My health is not as great as it used to be so I find I tire easily and am very susceptible to stress. Could be the reason for abdominal fat that seems to be increasing. Ok at least part of the reason.
  • ASH0424
    ASH0424 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First of all my parents are finishing their respective bachelor's degrees and I think it is awesome, ANYONE who finishes their education. I myself am not 50, but 28 (December 5th)
    I graduated at 17, got married at 19 and with little money and later two children I didn't get my BA degree until August of this year.
    That's right 10 years later. Sometime I feel behind, but I realize it doesn't really matter if I am pursuing my dream.
    I had 1 year of college done, and finally in 2009 my Husband had the ability to transfer his GI Bill to me and that paid for the rest of my BA and will pay for half my MA. So I will have to take out a small loan towards the end, but again it will be worth it to finish what I have started and to work.
    So, keep your head held high - you're finishing what you started AND that's amazing!
  • unwined
    Options
    Hi. I'm 45 and in grad school for my Master of Ed. My weight gain has been because of it! I started the program in January and weighed 24 pounds less!! It's online so I'm at my computer for 3 hours a night...not active. And YES, way more work than I ever did in college. My problem was snacking at my computer to keep me going...I'm a stress eater. Also, I rewarded myself with wine for work well done!!! Does any of this sound familiar? :smile:
  • schmoogie813
    schmoogie813 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 years old and am just finishing my first semester as a junior undergrad. I have a husband and 3 daughters and most of my classmates are the same age as my baby brother (we are 13 years apart). I had health concerns that limited the time I had to start a family and was blessed to meet the love of my life at an early enough age to be able to have the option. once my youngest began preschool, I started taking classes part-time and once she was in school full-time, I switched as well. What matters is that the goal IS acheived, not WHEN it is acheived.
  • char316
    Options
    I totally got it. I remember myself and most of my friends gaining weight during nursing school when I was in my late twenties and early thirties. I can trace most of the times I have gained back to a new job, school or other stressors in my life. Right now I am working full time, dealing with my ninety-one year old mother and grad school. It is the reason I only take one class at a time. I was required to get a flu shot to keep my job a couple weeks ago and ended up with a week off work mostly becuase of stress related illness. I have managed to gain about 10 pounds in the last 18 months. So I starting again and I have decided to not wait until after the New Year. Here I go!!
  • LuvHypno
    Options
    Yep, I am 40, work full time and am a full time grad student. Working out has not been in my schedule for the last 2 1/2 years. With graduation coming in August, I am looking to take some weight off.

I find that taking the stairs at work (work on the 7th floor) and stairs at school help keep me limber and counteracts the sitting. Though it is in no way a cardio workout as I am so tired, I don't go fast enough :wink:
  • musicrocks133
    musicrocks133 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am 25 and graduating next year. I thought I would be done by now but life happens. Well I will have my diploma either way. Plus I have work experience now which many companies require people to have to get hired.
  • peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and working on my doctorate in clinical psychology. I didn't start college until I was 33. It is hard work, but I'm more dedicated and more motivated to get things done now. To top things off, this supposedly infertile woman got pregnant at 39! And guess what, it was twins! So, I'm juggling that as well. God certainly has a sense of humor!
  • Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and recently started working on my MBA. I don't know about you all, but I'm having a hard time juggling a full-time job, full-time grad work and weight loss.
  • msalec33
    Options
    I'm 27, a full-time grad student, full-time mommy, and part-time Graduate Assistant. I am definitely older than most of my classmates! I find that I have to plan my days, meals, and exercises a lot more than I previously would. I also forget to eat lunch (or pack lunch) when I'm on campus all day. I'm also interested in getting my PhD once I graduate from this program.
  • char316
    Options
    Good to see so many struggling with the same thing I am. The focus is always on the need to take time for ourselves. Problem is that between school, work, trying to keep up with schoolwork and housework I feel just about the only thing I do is spend time on myself. I realize it is not the same as trying to take care of yourself, to eat right and try to fit some exercise in, but I have begun to feel it is all about me, when it should not be that way.