Krav Maga & other martial arts

Options

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I was just fooling around on the Wingate Institute website and dreaming, but those of you who are krav maga instructors might want to look into the one-week practical instructors course that Wingate is doing in November (Wingate is the main sports and physical education institution in Israel). http://www.wingatekravmaga.com/
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    In other news, that I am posting way too much all over the place because I am nuts:

YELLOW BELT!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    In other news, that I am posting way too much all over the place because I am nuts:

YELLOW BELT!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's exciting!
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing Hapkido. Never done any form of MA ever. Struggling with the rolls at the moment. Need to go buy some thick gym mats and practice at home ;)

I've been doing Hapkido for couple years now. The rolls are so important in hapkido so I understand that you want to practice at home. I hope you're still enjoying it and after a couple weeks, we always get better on our rolls anyway :)

Take care
  • vikingheart
    Options
    Hi! I train in Muay Thai!
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga by school, muay thai and boxing in home!
  • IsisCrisis
    IsisCrisis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I took Krav Maga classes for 6 months until I ran out of money. Now I use what I learned to work with the heavy bag in the boxing area of my gym. It's cool because once or twice someone recognized my technique and asked me about my Krav training. It's also cool because as a woman, a couple of guys have mentioned how they'd never mess with me after seeing me throw some punches, kicks, and elbows! :)
  • Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Krav since February of last year, which was quite an accomplishment considering the knee problems that I started facing. I'm technically level 2, but never been able to really do any of the level 2 classes since, right as soon as I passed my Level 1 test, my knees just got so bad that I had to get surgery on one of them. That put me out for a while.

So, here I am now, back at Level 1, trying to regain all my lost skill and lost cardio from a few months of being off.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Another Krav practitioner here :smile:

Currently counting down to a week training in Israel next year :happy:
  • bathsheba_c
    Options

Let me know when you're in town! Will you be training at Wingate?
  • dlegros
    Options

Let me know when you're in town! Will you be training at Wingate?

No, I'm going to IKMF P-Camp at Caesarea Sea Centre, then spending a few nights in TLV to go sight-seeing
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

New to the group. I've been doing Krav for a little over 4 years. I've recently moved to Indianapolis from Phoenix and found a new location and I must say....it is true what they say about schools making the difference. The Indianapolis school is far inferior to the one I belonged to in Phoenix for 3 years. I'm technically level 4 (or brown belt) in Krav Maga.

Honestly I got into it because I was born and raised in Israel and wanted something cultural to my roots :)

I've been back to Israel several times and I always say I'm going to do a week worth of lessons there to compare it to the schools here in the US. Still have yet to do that.
  • ninjalaura5
    Options
    Hey! I train in Krav to! Also Karate and Judo!
  • dlegros
    Options
    Passed my P1 on Saturday, tested by Avshalom Dahan :smile:
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Not long joined the group, but I've been training in Krav since July this year. Absolutely love it!

Going to the master class down in London with Eyal Yanilov and Tomasz Adamczyk on Saturday! Feeling slightly scared as not entirely sure what to expect, but overall can't wait!! :bigsmile:
  • d3mon4ngel
    Options
    Passed my P1 on Saturday, tested by Avshalom Dahan :smile:

Congratulations! :drinker:

I'm planning on going for P1 when the gradings next come around, but I think my instructor said that it wouldn't be until April now.
  • dlegros
    Options
    Don't be nervous about the master-class, it will be great!

Since starting in May I have been to: Knife Seminar with Tamir Gilad (E4), Weapons of Opportunity with Shlomi Moyal (E2) and Third Party Protection with Israel Tamir (E3) and they were all great!

Being a part of the largest club in the Midlands helps as we tend to travel en-masse to events (the knife seminar was in London and out of 60 people, 20 were from my club!)

Don't know about grading timetables as I'm guessing you're in a KMG club so the timetables will be different to ours (IKMF).

My advice, you cannot over-prepare, go over the material until you don't even think about it.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    I studied Hagannah for awile. A mix between 3 different Isreali styles including Krav Maga. You always know a true "street" self defense style when you start learning about tearing your attackers ear off or stabbing thier eye sockets. All that good stuff. :tongue:
  • d3mon4ngel
    Options
    Don't be nervous about the master-class, it will be great!

Since starting in May I have been to: Knife Seminar with Tamir Gilad (E4), Weapons of Opportunity with Shlomi Moyal (E2) and Third Party Protection with Israel Tamir (E3) and they were all great!

Being a part of the largest club in the Midlands helps as we tend to travel en-masse to events (the knife seminar was in London and out of 60 people, 20 were from my club!)

Don't know about grading timetables as I'm guessing you're in a KMG club so the timetables will be different to ours (IKMF).

My advice, you cannot over-prepare, go over the material until you don't even think about it.

Yes, I'm in a KMG club. I'm glad I've got so long until the grading though, as it will give me a lot of time to prepare and I'm sure that I'll feel more than ready by then!

I'm just nervous about making a fool of myself at this masterclass, but I'm sure I'll be fine once I get there :smile:
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    I studied Hagannah for awile. A mix between 3 different Isreali styles including Krav Maga. You always know a true "street" self defense style when you start learning about tearing your attackers ear off or stabbing thier eye sockets. All that good stuff. :tongue:

Ha. My last class, we went over where to strike if you want to cause your opponent temporary or permanent debilitation (things like poking out eyes). The part that was hard for me was when we pseudo-practiced on each other because we were supposed to call out the name of the body part we were going to psuedo-attack before we did it, and for the life of me, I could not remember all of the anatomical terms in Hebrew.