Stage 1 WKO:A Squats (probably a very stupid question!!)

Options
charliebird
charliebird Posts: 168 Member
Hi Ladies

So I did my first workout this morning and have a question! (one of many I am sure!!!)

I was doing the squats with a bar with 25KG on it. (At least it said 25 on each plate?!) However, when I finished the first rep I felt I could use heavier. Now here comes the issue! I couldn't pick up the bar with heavier weights to put it on my shoulders. Could only clean and press it up to shoulder height. How on earth do you get it beyond this point?!!!! And my fear was I might be able to get it onto my shoulders but I wouldn't be able to get it off again!Q Am I missing something obvious?! Do I have to bring a friend with me?

I am a body pumper which is why I know something about weights - but the actual weight area in the gym (aside from kettlebells) is a new playground for me!!!

Help - not sure how I will be able to increase my squat weight.

Thanks

Charlie

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    you need to use a squat rack if working out at the gym or if at home purchase some squat stands or a rack. You can then load the bar in the rack and then lift it off on your shoulders ready to squat :)

in the gym the rack should look something like theis: http://www.gymcompany.co.uk/strength/gymcompany-power-rack.html
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You see they had some of these but they all had benches under them - and I didn't dare move them! Also the weights looked more scary! I think I'm going to have to "Man-up" to do this program!

Thanks for setting me straight!

BTW are they really that expensive? £850?? - not sure I could afford one of these for home!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and use stands as I don't have the room for a rack, I have ones like these: http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/multi_press_racks/york__squat_stands/3037_p.html

Just ask someone in the gym to show you how to use the squat rack, don't let them palm you off with the smith machine!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I rememeber when I first started and I had no idea what they looked like or even how to use it! ;)

Like everything else, you will find it easier with experience. Tell yourself to just figure out how to use the bar without weights at first. Sometimes it helps to be brave in little steps. Once you have figured it out, you'll be waltzing over and giving the men dirty looks if they are taking too long in the squat rack. ;)
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Excellent question because I was wondering the same thing!
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I got a set of weights & a bench off gumtree for £80. The bench has a squat rack on it, only rated to 90kg but that is good enough for now!
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    make sure you are usuing the squat rack and not a bench press. in my experience the squat racks usually don't have benches right under neath them, lol but i certainly don't have much experience so i could be totally wrong! maybe try youtube and type is "barbell squat" so you can see a video of it to make sure you are using the right machine :) that is what i had to do. good luck :)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    All good answers. And as girlie said, don't let anyone tell you to use the smith machine or say it's the squat rack. Unbelievable how many so called experienced lifters use the smith machine. Hubby just moved our bench around so I can use the squat rack at the back! What a difference. Oh and in the meantime, until you get the rack, try goblet squats or using dbs at your shoulders. It can help you build up strength until you have the rack.