Metabolically resistant...

Options
aleshai
aleshai Posts: 55 Member
Tomorrow will be day 14 of induction for me. I have followed it strictly and have lost -nothing! I have been in ketosis ever since day two and test positive for ketosis every time I use a ketostix (sometimes many times during the day). The only thing I am noticing is a very slight looseness in my clothes and I took measurements today but didn't when I started.

I am going to stay in induction for at least three more weeks and think that maybe I should reduce my calories?? To be honest, I am rarely hungry so maybe I am consuming too much fat/protein. Oh, and after 14 days... I am definitely wanting to bring my coffee back!! I used to generally have two cups in the morning and that is all so I'm curious to see how my body will react.

I am going to open my diary to the public and hope that someone else has gone through this experience too.

Replies

• vintagebrighton
    Options
    Hi, I'm no expert as I don't do Atkins but I do low carb. Your diet isn't Atkins as I see it. You need to be 'clean and green'. No processed foods and carbs around 20. You should have full fat cheese and nothing that can kick you out of ketosis such as tomatoes or onions. There was also a day when you had a drink for 12 carbs.... a definite no no. Have you asked the Atkins community to take a look at your diary?
  • aleshai
    Options
    I have only been doing atkins since July 24th. I have the book and tomatoes and such are all allowed. I really should buy the full fat cheese! I had a bunch of frozen bags of the reduced fat fiesta blend and have finished with the last one today, lol. Oh yeah, I saw that the metamucil had a LOT of carbs and bought the sugar free kind today.

Thanks for looking, I only opened my diary to public today.

The good news is that I have been in ketosis on my ketostix since July 26th! Still am today, so that is a blessing. Just having trouble getting the pounds to go down. Thanks again for taking the time to look.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I saw that the metamucil had a LOT of carbs and bought the sugar free kind today.

Oh yeah that's a killer for sure. All Dextrose. Go for Pure Psyllium Husks or Powder. Even the "sugar-free" varieties have some sugar in the flavoring. Hold your nose and choke it down :-)

Better yet, eat chia seed or Avocado when you are off induction.

You should have gotten better results than you did given what I saw in your diary.
    Check out my blog and the faq to the lowcarb living forum too.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LowcarbNY
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    some people can't eat more than 10 grams of carbs. not sure if you are one of them!

are you losing inches? i am surprised you havent lost any water weight.
  • caraiselite
    Options
    on the other hand, dairy can make people stall, so maybe less cheese?
  • aleshai
    Options
    I went down 2 lbs, then it was that TOM and went up 3, down 2, then back up 2... seriously frustrating. I have lost some inches and maybe the cheese could be stalling me but for the most part my net carbs were actually under 20gms. One day I realized I only netted 9 grams of carbs.

I had my thyroid tested in May and a complete blood count done... everything is normal. I must have the metabolism of a comatose person, lol.

Thanks for taking a look at my food diary.
  • caraiselite
    Options
    I have lost some inches

there you go.

losing inches > weight on the scale.

i've lost and gained the same 7 pounds for like a month, but i've lost several inches, so i know how you feel!
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Cant see your diet, but if you're counting 'net carbs' rather than actual carbs...that could be your whole issue. I have to be under 25 actual carbs to make good progress. And calories matter too....
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hello Aleshai

Your food diary is closed again so I cannot comment on your food choices but I would say stick at it, I know it's frustrating but your TOM could well be the culprit. I can easily put on 7 (or more!) pounds when its TOM.

I would also try the following:

- Remove any processed meats & cheeses that contain hidden sugars or nitrates.
    - Remove diet soda's (I dont know if you drink these or not).
    - Eat full fat dairy, low fat/low cal is higher in carbs.
    - Measure your portions of veggies- although you are allowed onions & tomatoes in induction you have to be careful you dont have too many as the carb count will creep up.
    - Drink plenty of water.

- Keep measuring! If you are losing inches it is working.

- There is a chapter in the Atkins regarding those with severe metabolic resistence and the Atkins 'Fat Fast'. This is a measure which is a last resort after you have tried everything and still not losing weight. I would only consider option this after a month of strict induction and no loss. I would also reccomend you see your Doctor again to get properly diagnosed with metabolic resistence (If you haven't already) before undertaking this.

FYI : http://www.low-carb.com/atarfatfa.html
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hello Aleshai

Your food diary is closed again so I cannot comment on your food choices but I would say stick at it, I know it's frustrating but your TOM could well be the culprit. I can easily put on 7 (or more!) pounds when its TOM.

I would also try the following:

- Remove any processed meats & cheeses that contain hidden sugars or nitrates.
    - Remove diet soda's (I dont know if you drink these or not).
    - Eat full fat dairy, low fat/low cal is higher in carbs.
    - Measure your portions of veggies- although you are allowed onions & tomatoes in induction you have to be careful you dont have too many as the carb count will creep up.
    - Drink plenty of water.

- Keep measuring! If you are losing inches it is working.

- There is a chapter in the Atkins regarding those with severe metabolic resistence and the Atkins 'Fat Fast'. This is a measure which is a last resort after you have tried everything and still not losing weight. I would only consider option this after a month of strict induction and no loss. I would also reccomend you see your Doctor again to get properly diagnosed with metabolic resistence (If you haven't already) before undertaking this.

FYI : http://www.low-carb.com/atarfatfa.html

Im going to second this as well. Atkins' phase I is a cut-and-dry section of what to have and definitely what not to have. Im actually one of those people who apply to the Metabolic section of the book, in fact its worse: there are no doctors who can diagnose the type of metabolic disorder I have despite the fact my sugars are normal and insulin is stabilized thanks to medications. Because of medical problems I was running into with Induction, I was ordered off of Atkins by my Endo pending newer tests for L-Carnitine, CoQ10 levels, glucagon measurement, etc...

Definitely talk with your doctor (I dont know if you have an HMO), to seek the advice of an Endocrinologist who specializes in metabolic disorders/hyperinsulinemia and Stein Leventhal Syndrome. Have them run a complete blood panel, lipid panel, calcium, insulin, creatinine, A1c is included with the lipid panel so that is covered right there.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I had a peek at your journal earlier - just from browsing through it, but not knowing what your height/weight and activity level are, you may need to eat MORE.

And yes, full-fat Everything when you can, less processed (try for raw-milk cheeses, even), and dairy and even nuts can slow down weight loss (I get an insulin response from pecans, and I love them! :\ I go for macadamias now, they're almost all fat). Diet sodas can be bad, too - Atkins may allow them, but I know they used to make me gain weight!!
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink a lot of water. Like 9 x 8oz a day or more. Pee pee pee!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you have ketones and your clothes are loser, you are losing fat. There are many reasons why the scale can disappoint us, including when we build muscle (heavier than fat).

When I first went low-carb many years ago, I was following Atkins. It's a great program and I have utmost respect for the Doctor. However, there are a few short-comings imo that can affect your health/results. The main one would be their total acceptance of artificial sweeteners. Through my research not only do I think they sabotage weight loss, I think they are detrimental to health.
  • Stripple
    Stripple Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thyroid test is in range, but is it at the lower end of the range, DR told me mine was at the low end of normal, which could account for some symtoms, but was not low enough for treatment ie normal