Would love input on calorie intake

skylark94
skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
After being on MFP for several months and losing 30 pounds, I finally appeared to hit a plateau with my net goal set at 1,650. I didn't lose any weight for 3 months. I took a month off and ate around 2,000 calories per day and only walked for exercise a couple of days a week.

I bought a Fitbit and have worn it every day for the last 3 weeks. I took the information it gave me and have found that my average TDEE over 3 weeks has been 1,712 (non-exercise days). I took a 15% deduction on that and set my new net goal to 1,450. My opportunities to exercise have been sporadic, so I don't count on a higher activity level, but on the days I do get to exercise I will eat back those calories.

Soooo.... at 36 years old, 5'4", 133, and 25% body fat does a net goal of 1,450 sound right? My goal is 19% body fat, which I think I will hit at around 125 pounds.

Replies

• skylark94
    Bump.

Anyone?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    The FitBit is still starting with a foundation for estimating daily calories on your BMR, by age/weight/height.

How does that BMR, like from MFP (though FitBit could use the more inaccurate Harris BMR), compare to the more accurate Katch BMR based on weight/bodyfat%?

You could have higher estimated BMR than expected, which means your FitBit estimate should be higher.

You can just find the personal multiplier from BMR FitBit is using to that avg TDEE figure.
    Apply the multiplier to more accurate Katch BMR, and get better TDEE figure.

Otherwise, good method to use if exercise is that iffy.

So, with your stats you gave (goal weight of 123 is actually 19% BF if you keep your LBM from right now)

Katch BMR - 1347.
    Mifflin - 1278
    Harris - 1364

See if you can find on FitBit's site which method they use, or which number they show, should be one of them.

So your personal multiplier will be the TDEE 1712 / BMR they use.

If Harris, close enough.
    If Mifflin, really close enough.

If it wasn't, you'd do Katch BMR 1347 x multiplier for more correct TDEE estimate, and then take deficit.

I mainly wanted to use your example of how you can indeed do it slightly better than defaults. For some folks, I've seen it 300 off, which is decent enough difference.

You really are so close, no need to worry. And indeed good method.
  • skylark94
    The info I found online says Fitbit is using the Mifflin equation to determine BMR. I have an e-mail in to them for confirmation.

Thank you for the detailed response!
  • heybales
    The info I found online says Fitbit is using the Mifflin equation to determine BMR. I have an e-mail in to them for confirmation.

Thank you for the detailed response!

So then, 1712 / 1278 = 1.34 multiplier. (MFP's Lightly Active level)

1347 x 1.34 = 1805 more accurate TDEE based on bodyfat %

1805 - 15% = 1534, perhaps round to 1550.

Here's the cool thing, if you can keep your LBM the same and not lose muscle, that BMR stays the same.
    If your daily non-exercise activity stays the same, that TDEE stays the same.
    Your daily goal stays the same at 1550 even as you lose weight.

Talk about simple at this point.
  • skylark94
    Thank you again! I've reset to 1,550 and will be sure to continue my strength training so I don't lose any lean mass.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Gonna toss one more piece of information out there, I looked at your diary (i snoop) and you may want to start eating some more protein if you want to maintain your lean muscle mass while losing and lifting.. get that number over 100 or higher (120) if you can. Helps you keep your lean muscle mass in a eating deficit
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    And remember you need to be EATING your TDEE cut value not NETTING it. Only worry about netting your BMR if you have a high burn day. If you net your TDEE cut value then you aren't eating at a cut anymore, in fact you may end up eating at maintenance.
  • heybales
    And remember you need to be EATING your TDEE cut value not NETTING it. Only worry about netting your BMR if you have a high burn day. If you net your TDEE cut value then you aren't eating at a cut anymore, in fact you may end up eating at maintenance.

Well, actually, in her other posts, the workouts are iffy, so that was a non-exercise TDEE value with a deficit. NOT with exercise included.

So in this case, exercise would be added back in to eat, aka the MFP method.
  • skylark94
    Thanks again for the input everyone.

I know I need to eat more protein. I try, really, but I always seem to fall really short. I'm not really big into strength training. Everything I do is body weight (sit ups, push ups, squats, etc). I've always been pretty muscular, so I'm just working on maintaining mass. Not looking to gain any.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member

Well, actually, in her other posts, the workouts are iffy, so that was a non-exercise TDEE value with a deficit. NOT with exercise included.

So in this case, exercise would be added back in to eat, aka the MFP method.

Yep, you're right. I didn't quite pick up on the inconsistent workouts.
  • bump