Camping!!!

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
What to cook? We will be fishing and I have been told we probably catch a few but I need whole 30 ideas to get us thru the weekend!! We cannot use a campfire but we have a grill.... I have snacks but need meals!!

Replies

• SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Fish for sure, you can pre make soups and take a sauce pan to reheat them in on the grill. I like wrapping packets of meats and veggies together in foil and cooking them. Hard boiled eggs are good to take along, as is salad stuff and grillable veggies like zucchini, sweet potato slices, eggplants, tomatoes and even fruit (nectarines and peaches are AWESOME grilled)
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love camping because it prepares me to live off the grid; if it is necessary. I will only bring a parachute, ax, few matches, 8 inch iron pan, knife, portable water filter, and ropes to go to a camping. One set of clothes. If necessary to have a gun for bears and crazy meth-heads.

To be honest, you will need to have a knife, ax, matches, and an iron to have a nice meal. There are tons of foods to find in the nature. I don't know if you know how to find them. Otherwise, you might want to buy perishable foods: fruits, veggies, and meats. You could have a refrigerator in the camping. You will need two big pots. You will need a pot that could fit into a bigger pot. Pour sands in between of two pots, and fill the water. Put foods in the smaller pot and then cover the pots with a wet towel. Once the towel is dry,then re-wet it.

Always have nuts with you. Nuts is high calories and it might help you to get through for a day.

Boil the water before you cook with it; or you'll have fun with your rear thing.
  • CMcD1445
    CMcD1445 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    On my primal camping trips, I like to make sure I have plenty of beef jerky with me. I like to make my own so I know what's in it and how it was prepared!
  • Jindra12
    Options
    Beef jerky and soup can be dangerous when you go out camping. It contains very high amount of sodium which it could cause the dehydration; that could kill you if you couldn't find a source of water to supply your body. If you could supply yourself with a water then go for it. I won't do that.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You can eat pretty much the same things camping as at home. One thing to save time is to pre-prep your food at home; for instance, cut up your veggies. My camping food is all kinds of veggies, a few fruits (for my child mostly), meat, eggs, butter, coconut, nuts and seeds. I always take a cast iron pan to cook in. I never cook in aluminum foil, but to each their own.

You weren't specific on the kind of camping you are doing. Are you doing back country backpacking or will you have your car, cooler, adequate water supply, etc? I don't know about the two pots with sand between, since you said that you won't have a campfire. I've never done that even on a campfire, but then I usually cook in cast iron. if you are back packing, cast iron probably wouldn't be an option, but I fit it on my ATV when I go camping (i live in the Arctic).

Jerky is a great food to have if you've made it yourself. I rarely eat canned food at all (except coconut milk) but a can of wild salmon can be a good backup plan. Dehydrated foods are a good option for backpacking but I think most of the commercially available options have noodles etc in them.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    my family loves steak on a stick :) you just season, maranade your steak like normal only you put on a stick like a hotdog and cook until you feel it is done to your taste. We always cook our fish when camping in tin foil. Stuff the body with butter, herbs and veggies wrap in the tin foil and put on grill or fire till done. And we alway have powdered eggs, for years I would lug around eggs and worry that they were going to get too hot or break. Then i started buying powdered eggs for camping. You just add a little water and scramble them up and no one is the wiser. You can also add the powdered eggs to baking meals just like you would with regular eggs and they always turn out.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    great board- i am going primitive camping for 8 days and was thinking just about how to keep eating primal without access to ice! lucky we are going over to catalina, so we can boat over to necessities and DEFINITELY catch some good fish!

not sure if your hiking in or going to have a vehicle nearby, but in my old camping days i would always bring veggies that keep without refrigeration (but they need to be bought unrefrigerated); broccoli, peppers, onion, zucchini, snap peas, cucumbers, and potatoes keep wonderfully.

two things; don't keep them in plastic bags- their gasses will make them rot faster, and one great trick to keep them cooler and bug free is throw em in a burlap bag that has been dunked in the water and tie them up in a tree- keeps animals away from them, and the evaporation effect keeps them cooler :)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! We are going for 2 days 1 night. I think veggies ant meat in tinfoil is wonderful idea!! I can prepare them and keep them in the cooler... I am so excited now thanks!! I would love to live off the land, I just need to learn more, but it's in the future plans!
  • Jindra12
    Options
    http://www.toptipspot.com/tips/outdoors/howto/cool-food-without-a-fridge.php

you could find video with how to do it on youtube.
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    +1 for veggie and meat pouches. Put in some fresh herbs like dill or cilantro fro some great flavors.

Grilled rib eye and asparagus is a favorite. I'll also pre cook potatoes then just warm them on the grill.
    For breakfast bacon and eggs are always great. Or steak and eggs if you have any rib eye from the night before. :)
    For lunch I like "roll ups" Take lunch meat, put on cheese, onion, pepper, carrot, spices, and roll up. They travel pretty well in my backpack next to my ice water. Also apples with salami or celery with almond butter (although messy if packed around) work well for snacks.

Have fun camping!