Hungry

Options
ragslittle
ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
Although I had surgery 5months ago, I have days where I can eat continuously...especially right before TOM. Anyone else experience this....I don't usually eat a lot at once, but it's continuous grazing. On these days I can eat as many as 1500 calories. It's scary when I think of how easily I could put back on the lbs!

Replies

• Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Now 18 months following surgery & I have discovered that if I do not control this I can put on weight! That is SCARY!! I have only lost 50% of what I need to lose but I try & keep at it & am losing gradually and am now able to exercise. Remember how bad it was there & STOP bad habits now before you end up back there. Just because you can graze it does not make it a sensible choice!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have to be very mindful of grazing. I cant eat a lot at once....but I can if I sit there and pick at it for a long time. Surgery was on my gut...unfortunately it did nothing for my head LOL I am still a work in progress :smile:
  • Devi_Diva
    Devi_Diva Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 9 months out and have realized like so many before me warned: the hunger returns. Grazing is a killer, as is drinking my calories in say fancy iced coffees.

I find using MFP for accountability super helpful. I also “fluid load”. Fluid loading is a win win. Sticking to the no eating and drinking within 30 – 60 is also key.

I am sure you have all heard that RNY is just a tool. This is so true. Use the tool and it will serve you well.
  • Yukonchickie
    Yukonchickie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am just 6 months out and I am running into this as time passes.
    Some days are harder than others to control myself ... just like before.
    And sometimes you don't notice that you are doing it right away ... just like before.
    This surgery really is just a tool ... they can't go in and change your brain and have you think differently. You are still the same you ... only with one more tool than you had before.
    Stay strong ... we'll all get there!
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Although I had surgery 5months ago, I have days where I can eat continuously...especially right before TOM. Anyone else experience this....I don't usually eat a lot at once, but it's continuous grazing. On these days I can eat as many as 1500 calories. It's scary when I think of how easily I could put back on the lbs!

Yes, I have this too. Some days I find I can just eat and eat and eat and eat alld ay and never really feel "full" - though I'm not eating, say, an entire bag of chips at a time. Other days, I can go without eating and feel like I have to force myself to eat. I say to myself, "In the end, it will all balance out."

The past few days I've been really hard on myself, having "fat" days.... I bought a pair of jeans 2 weeks ago that fit great. I put them on this morning and felt fat and like they didn't fit. I think it's because I AM retaining fluids AND my period is due next week so I am bloating.

My boyfriend says he can still notice my weightloss even though I don't feel it as much anymore. And some days, he's even shocked at how much food I can eat, though it's normally veggies, beans, hummus, pita/tortilla.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm only 3 months out and I can graze a bit, mostly in the evening when I'm inactive and right before my cycle. I have found that I can sip on fluids and curb it a lot but I might still want to chew so I am trying to eat my dinner a little later in the evening and I'm looking for low cal, filler snacks, that will not easily pass through so I feel full if I do start to graze.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The urge to "crunch and snack" is very hard to deal with sometimes. I have found that snacking on some sliced seedless cucumber works for me. Very low cal and nice and crunchy. Sometimes I will have a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and use cucumber slices as my crackers. Nice little crunchy snack that is lo cal and has some protein too! Yum.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I graze but it's actually my plan. I'm about 3 months post-op and still can't eat very much in a sitting so my meals are max 300 calories and usually half that. I work out 6x a week like a maniac so I try to take in about 1,500 calories a day in order to fuel that and the only way is by eating "something" every two hours or so. I guess as long as you aren't randomly grabbing a handful of potato chips and are mindful of and track what you are eating don't sweat it...