Help with calories, please!

kimberly2504
kimberly2504 Posts: 60 Member
Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice or help on my calorie consumption.

I starte EM@WL after only a few weeks eating at about 1500 calories, so when I switched over I did not do a reset.

My info:
29 years old
5'7"
210 lbs today

According to scooby:
(set to 1-3 hours light excercise a week)
BMR: 1741
TDEE: 2395
15% cut: 2035

Exercise: I do Zumba on the wii 20 or 45 minutes 2-3 x week, take walks when I feel like it, and am working on body resistance exercises every day. When I do the exercises I work hard, but I don't have a consistent set schedule and am still pretty out of shape.

I originally set my calorie goal at 2045 (my 15% cut a few pounds ago), but I'm really having a hard time getting my calories up there. I eat when I'm hungry, and I am focusing the most on getting my protein at least 100g. I have PCOS so I'm trying to keep to "good" carbs and keeping my net carbs between 100 and 200. I've just started tracking my sodium. I'm trying really hard to get lots of good foods, but have usually a treat a day, sometimes a meal that isn't the greatest, but I'm still coming in under my goal. My diary is open, so please take a look!

I've averaged out my numbers, and I'm at about 1800 calories/day, which is about a 25% cut. Average carbs 220, fat 60, and protein 105.

I have a fitbit that is consistently giving me a daily calorie burn around 2400 (which is suspiciously close to the goal I entered in there as 2450...).

I've been losing weight consistently the last few weeks, though pretty slow, but I'm good with that. I've been at 210 for 8 days now, but it is that special week of the month so that may have something to do with it.

I would really appreciate any advice on if my calories are too low, what I can add in to what I'm doing to get more calories, or what I should do. I really feel like I'm eating plenty, and don't come from a background of starving myself so I don't think it's a metal block to eating.

Sorry this is so long! I wanted to make sure to give all the relevant info.

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Hi and welcome!

Definitely go by your fitbit, and consistency is key to both what you eat and your exercise. Maybe schedule what you want to accomplish through the week, have a A and B plan in case of last minute changes. Take a "diet break" about every 4-6 weeks (eat at TDEE for a week) to prevent stalling. Take pictures for yourself and measure. Even when the scale is not moving you can have physical changes!

I took a look at your diary and it looks fairly good. Some suggestions for adding foods (keep to your PCOS diet, sorry I don't know much about it): olive oil, coconut oil, low sodium tuna, low sodium beans (or make your own to control the salt), regular greek yogurt, brown rice, quinoa, chicken breast, pork loin, salmon, low sodium cheeses (swiss is the best). My diary is open (so are other members that post frequently) so you can get ideas there. I'm not a "clean" eater (love chocolate) and I always have room for at least one treat a day.
    Try making out your diary the night before, fill in the protein first (go for at least LBW in grams of protein), follow with carbs, add fats last...leave a little wiggle room in case of last minute changes.
    If the food seem to be to much, try upping by 50-100 a week. If at the end of the day you have a lot of calories left over (changes through the day), multi grain crackers, a slice of cheese, a glass of wine (4-6 oz) around 3-400 calories, some ice cream (some people like the real stuff, but I'm hooked on skinny cow sandwiches/cones), really good very dark chocolate (greater than 60%) a few squares about 200 cals, or some other favorite treat.

Don't know if you're aware, but there is a PCOS group on MFP that might be of help too!

I don't know if you've seen the new site for EM2WL (lots of great stuff there!), so here's the link:

http://eatmore2weighless.com/

Hope this helps, best wishes,

Eagle:flowerforyou:
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    The poster above me gives great advice. I would only add that if you feel you need more calories but aren't sure how you'll eat more volume, go for density--assuming that fat isn't a problem with PCOS, choose full-fat dairy, if dairy is okay for you, etc.
  • Wow, been looking for a thread like this to pop up. Here's my own info

obv. female
    5' 3.5"
    exercise 3-5 hours/week (cardio)

My numbers according to scooby are

BMR: around 1500
    TDEE: around 2300
    15 % of TDEE: around 1900

Eight weeks ago, I tried for a full reset, but got the numbers confused and only ate 1900 for the whole time. I gained ten pounds, from 145 - 155. Now that I realized my mistake, what do I do now? Do another full reset this time with the right numbers? I'm looking for some help, you can find this same conundrum posted by me on the "Advice for CUT" thread.