08-07-2012 Tuesdays Mad Hatter Chatter

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
:smile: Good Morning Hatters!

I thought this might be a good day to suggest a reminder for all of us.. we really need to take a good hard look at ourselves….

to SEE HOW AMAZINGLY far we’ve come!!:smile:

We…..quite simply.. ROCK!! And I think we might just forget that sometimes!

We’re really good at acknowledging our shortcomings, but much less at acknowledging our progress! Its so easy to beat ourselves up but we never take time to celebrate our successes!

I know it’s been a bit of a tough week for many of us; I struggled with an entire box of cookies one night and eventually lost (final score was cookies: 4 Snoozie: o). And some of the old thought patterns and habits started to emerge… “well, you’ve already blown today… might as well make the most of it”… you all know exactly the conversation that went on in my head I’m sure lol! And I fought with myself when I tried to talk myself off the cookie ledge… I didn’t WANT to hear the good, smart advice the other side of my brain was saying – NOT to freak, not to panic, and not to throw in the towel.. that an occasional slide would not destroy all my efforts. I didn’t want to hear that at all, because I WANTED those darn cookies.. just wanted. (which is how the 4 got eaten, during all that arguing with myself back and forth!) I also started feeling those lovely emotions.. you know.. the disgust at my “lack of control”, the feeling of failure.. blah blah… all those things that are so ingrained in our heads after years and years of believing we had to “diet” and be good, and how we were “bad” if we strayed. I eventually got tired of talking to myself and just went to bed…

But over the next couple of days, I started talking to myself again… (yeah I know.. watch out for the men in white coats coming for me) and reminded myself that this is all a learning experience…. It won’t happen overnight… but I needed to focus on ALL the positive changes I have made, rather than on the negative ones that still plague me.

And you know what?

We HAVE ALL made so many amazing positive changes, Hatters!! Just LOOK at us!! Pick a time frame that works for you – the last 48 hrs, last week, last month, last year.. whatever.. and honestly look at what enormous strides we have all made!!:smile:

We have all educated ourselves so much more about the difference between crap and good food;:smile:

we make so many more better choices for ourselves every single day than we did before; :smile:

we all MOVE more than we ever did before;:smile:

we make awesome use of tools available to us on the internet to help us make those changes (at my age.. that’s a huge feat:bigsmile: )

we have acknowledged many of our fears and challenges to ourselves, and to others:smile::smile:

we have reached out for help and support for ourselves, and given it to complete strangers!:smile:

we have LOST WEIGHT! :smile:

AND GOTTEN HEALTHIER!! :smile:

And every single day, we wake up.. and we try again. We do NOT GIVE UP!!! :flowerforyou:

Look how far we’ve come!!!!

Now, if you read all those wonderful things about someone else.. whether it was your best friend or a stranger… what would you think of them?? You would think WOW THAT IS ONE AWESOME WOMAN, right????

Well, that’s every single one of you Hatters. Every. Single. One. :happy:

So today, let’s celebrate how far we have already come, what awesome accomplishments we’ve all made mentally, physically and emotionally already, and give ourselves credit and a pat on the back for all the wonderful changes we've made…. !! We're doing it!

and together we can..and WILL keep making progress!!

YAYYYYYYY HATTERS!
:bigsmile:

Replies

• Snooozie
    Options
    <<<< POSTED BY TArnold >>>>>>>>
    Three NSV in one day !!!

#1 First when leaving to work in my classroom this morning I got in the van this morning my daughter looked at me and said "I think you're going to have to buy some new clothes" Me"Why" Daughter " Cause that shirt is so baggie and you look like you are wearing parachute pants your pants are so big " :laugh:

#2 Today I met with a lady to try on some used clothing she had for sale on a local swap shop page on fb. I purchased lots of jackets and tops to get me through the next months. BUT the most amazing thing happened the first jacket I had ask about did not fit it was toooooooooooooooooooooo BIG !!! I can not remember the last time I couldn't buy something b/c it was to larger rather than to small. ( I got about $500 worth for $95 !!! yeah me, I didn't figure there was any need to spend big money when these are just passing through sizes !!!!) :heart: :heart: :heart:

#3 Now while trying the tops and jackets on my sister said well that would probably look good but you really are going to have to buy some new bras for the girls, your bra is to big to do the job !!!:bigsmile:

Now just 2 more pounds and I am smaller than that ex !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehe (Posted by TArnold)

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: HAD to bring TA's post over from last night - a perfect example for us all! Way to celebrate your successes TA!

:flowerforyou:
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Way to go TA!!!! What was the size difference in your clothes? :happy:

Snooozie, You are doing great this is a marathon not a sprint. We are working for a life style change. :heart:

Last week I realized I could pull down some of my button up pants without unbuttoning them. I was so excited I had to flash my husband.:laugh: The next day while I was in Walmart I bought a pair of shorts that was 2 sizes smaller. So I could where them to a fish fry at church.
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hurray for all the wonderful Mad Hatters who are changing their lives in such positive ways. And because of Snoozies reminder I will say hurray for me too.
    TA, congrats, that must have been an awesome feeling when the jacket was too big.
    Cheryl, let us know about all of the positive comments at the fish fry.
    Speaking of pants, now that I am wearing pants with zippers, I need to time my bathroom trips to account for the extra time to unzip and unbutton.
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    @ Snoozie~ What an amazing post. You actually brought tears to my eyes....so true about ALL the positive changes we have made in our lives....for US! I reflected back on what I have accomplished in the last 8 months...and thought WOW....IPOM!

Making friends here with all the Mad Hatters has been such a joy....I don't always comment, but I do lurk and I love reading about everyones struggles and accomplishments. What a GREAT group of ladies....so thank you ALL~

TA~ IPOU! What great NSV's.

Cheryl~ Don't you just love it when you can pull your pants down without unbuttoning them? I do!

Hairspray~ lol....too funny! Don't wait too long to go potty!

Love you guys!

Kimberly
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies

Good words Snoozie !!!

The truth is we are very hard on ourselves. Every time we chose to eat something healthy it is a victory. We have a lot more victories than failures at this point and yet we still focus on the failures more than the victories. Often not as learning lessons but rather in negative ways. I know for me I have always been a half empty glass person rather than half full. I suspect that observation has reveals a lot about how I have gotten to this point in my life and it has played a part in the battle. I don't know that I will ever see the glass as half full but I am understanding more and taking pleasure in the victories more than ever.

I don't sit around waiting for acknowledgement from others or for them to notice I share the battle and the victories. I guess you could say I am acknowledging my victories. I am doing this for me for a change first.

Cheryl: It was one size but the old ones were tight and these are just right so it really more like two sizes. Congrats on the 2 sizes you have lost !!!!

Janet it was amazing. I was disappointed b/c I loved the pattern but so excited that it was to large !!!! Yeah for zipper pants !!! But yes I totally can relate to timing :blushing:

Kimberly so glad to here you reflected I do think we sometimes are the last ones to acknowledge our accomplishments. That acknowledgement I do believe is what will keep us strong in times of weakness. Keep up the victories.

Wishing everyone a wonderful and most blessed day full of good choices, reflection, and acknowledgement of all your victories rather than your defeats. YOU CAN DO THIS !!!!:heart:
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Funny NSV: I have no more elastic waist pants or shorts! My daughters and I were watching "What Not To Wear" on TLC a while back and Stacy made the comment that nobody should own elastic waist pants unless they were a toddler or in a nursing home. Everyone looked at me. That's all I wore! 40lbs. gone and no more diaper-butt pants! 20lbs. more and I'm going to get my *real* wardrobe!
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Yeah for Kobie !!!! I wear elastic waist slack for teaching. They are comfortable and nothing really hurts them. But I do love "blue jean days" also. My secret dream is to one day be totally surprised when Stacy and Clinton greets me with my own "What Not to Wear" but just being able to shop off the rack even without Stacy and Clinton. keep up the good work !!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    tonyacoursey

;Snoozie, cant get to the group from my phone but please tell everyone hi and IPOU from me!
    :bigsmile:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LONG day on the puter at work and still have to log in my food so just a couple of quick replies for the moment!

Cheryl: Better to flash your hubby than the church people LOL! Big congrats!

HRH: I actually laughed out loud at your post… lol note to self: plan potty time with a belt! How was NYC?

ABBE: is that a new picture?? You look awesome!! And so glad to see your IPOM!!! WOO hoo!! You DO ROCK!! Clapping paws with glee for ya!

Kobie: also laughed at yours; could just picture your entire family turning and looking at you at that moment! Can’t wait til you get that shopping spree in when you hit the next 20!!

TA: I took my sister shopping a few months ago; she had dropped about 30lbs since we’ve been working on our weight (we both lost some over the past year; but I needed to up mine for the doc hence I found all of you LOL).. anyway..the first thing I made her try on was a new bra!! Because as one of the hatters said.. the girls… just weren’t getting what they needed from the old one LOL.. I made her wear a cotton t shirt so she could see the diff and she was shocked.. but not as much as when I made her try on something off the rack in an XL… she refused at first but I know how hard it is to NOT go automatically to your “regular” sizes, just out of habit.. she freaked when it fit LOL.. but sizes are so weird… I have at the same size owned things that were ranged from size 12 to size 20.. and they ALL fit… grrrr.. Anyway it was an awesome moment for her and made her see just how much different she looked in clothes that FIT rather than just wearing the stuff that she was used to.. I know you’re gonna LOVE it when your “rack” moment hits.. and we wanna be the 2nd to know LOL!

K NEED food and to log today’s.. be back later! Wanna hear those IPOMS!!
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Snoozie, thanks for asking about my NYC trip. The bus let me off in Times Square and I walked to Central Park, where I wandered around until I met my much younger cousin for lunch at the Met, she had not seen me in 49 pounds. She was very excited for me. She has avoided the family propensity toward obesity and I assured her it was not because she was adopted, I remember when they brought her home from the hospital. Instead it was because she made the choice to be healthy by eating right and remaining active as an adult. Genes are not destiny! After I waved goodby as she darted through the NYC traffic on her scooter, I continued walking through the park, and went around the reservoir, which I had never seen before. By the time my hubby met me at the subway stop, I was dripping with sweat, but he was still happy to see me. It felt so good to be able to walk and walk and not worry about my blood pressure or feeling like I couldn’t walk more than a few blocks. I remember once leaving an Orioles game and considering whether I needed to wait for my family to return to pick me up, because the 4 block walk from the stadium to the parking garage was so difficult for me.
    BRA TALK You are so right about the difference a well fitting bra makes. When I had lost about 30 pounds I realized that I needed new bras, but I didn’t want to spend a lot of money because I was not planning on staying that size. I like a supportive bra without a lot of padding.( I tease my daughters about their well padded bras by telling them when I was young, there were times I may have worn a halter with no bra, but I always wore drawers, even if they were just bikini style. Nowadays, they always wear padded bras with tiny little thongs which are only strings that they call panties.)… Anyway, I found a comfortable sports bra for $15 at the Target. They didn’t have it on line and they only had one in my size. Every time I went by a Target I went in and bought the 1 in my size. I ended up going to seven different Targets, including one in Southern Maryland and one in Orlando. I was waiting for the fraud people on my credit card to call and tell me someone was driving around the country buying bras on my credit card.
    As I have lost weight, I have been able to adjust straps, but in about ten pounds I will be ready to make the circuit again.
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laughter ladies, reading today s post has been great.

Hairspray glad you had a good time in NYC, and you could walk like you did and enjoy it. I loved the bra story. I understand the not wanting to buy clothes that you are just passing thur sizes. I only buy when I really need to.

I cant wait until we all get the new shopping trip.
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Hairspray sounds like you had a great time and worked in exercise ! Yeah !!!

Time dear you had me laughing out loud thinking about someone driving around buying bras with your card. Now can I borrow your card dear? LOLOLOLOL :laugh:

Snoozie you again are so right about reaching for the same old size. I can tell you now I would never have tried the new size if it had not been I really loved the pattern. The truth is when I set up the appointment I thought I would put them up until I lost enough for them to fit. It I am still so surprised that they fit and that some were to big that it will take days to get the smile of my face :bigsmile:
  • KLB960
    KLB960 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the giggles ladies! :laugh: I found myself thinking that I blew the day so I can have...but refrained. My measurement for my loss now is that I can get my wedding band off without soap! and my diamond spins while I crochet. The clothes are fitting better but I refuse to buy anything yet unless I absolutely have to (a special occasion that I don't have something better ). But I find myself in a bit of a dilemma..going away for a couple of days and we will be eating out one will be Italian and the other is a buffet. Would love suggestions PLEASE!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    HOWLING at the fraud squad alert HSH!!!!! Can you just imagine the poor person who got THAT call to make... "excuse me ma'am.. umm......." :laugh:

SO glad you had such a great trip... and can just imagine your cousins face seeing you 50 lbs lighter!!! WOO HOO~ WHAT an accomplishment HS!!!!!
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Snooozie, as allways love your opening monolog. I can not wait to start my days by seeing what Sooozies says for the day.

Another MFP friend posted a quote a while back that I really liked and wanted to share. "Don't count calories, make calories count." It really is an educational thing we have been doing here. Making healty choices to fuel the body.

Hairspray, Oh what fun you must have had. I have a trip to New York on my bucket list. I have been before for a day trip, but want to go for a long weekend some time.

Tarnold, What an awsome IPOM moment, both for the size & the bargains. I would vote to get sized propperly for a bra. I just went a couple months back (I had never gone to be fitted propperly before) I was pleasantly surprised at how much more comfortable I was, how much better I looked and the price was more reasonable than I thought. I went to Lady Grace, but I know they do it at JC Penny, Macy's & any of those type of stores.

Kobie, Love the "What not to wear moment" I'd open the door & jump for joy if any of those make over shows knocked on my door.

My foot is still bothering me, but I am able to walk ok. It is worse when I have been sitting for a bit & first thing in the AM. I spoke with one of the Dr's I work for today (he is a long distance runner) and told him what was going on. He told me he has had PF many times & he ran with it. It will go away quicker If I stop, but he had it while marathon training and did not stop. Just keep stretching, ice & make sure your shoes are giving you good support. So I walked this AM, went for a bike ride tonight & streched about 20 times today. Tomorrow AM I am going to attempt to slogg. I have not run in 1 week so will try for some light intervals & see how it goes.

Well Have a fabulous evening all, Kathy
  • Snooozie
    Options
    KLB: Huge IPOU on the wedding band spin!! Awesome!! AND on deciding to refrain from indulging tonite!!

As for the get away..... are you more worried about WHAT you're gonna eat, or how much of it?? MAybe you could split the difference; order something you'd love to have, and eat half and take a doggie back back (unless you're in a hotel and can't store it) or just try to get some extra moving around in instead...? maybe go for a hoof in the morning or a stroll afterwards with hubby? At the Italian you could order a large garden salad with oil and vingar dressing maybe.. and chow down on it so you're a little more stuffed when the main comes along? Or try to eat something mid afternoon if you can ... a protein maybe of some sort even some nuts to ward off that "im starving" moment at dinner? But personally I vote for trying to get in some extra movement and then just enjoy whatever you have; just eat slow and when you're full... send it back quick before you can finish it off (that's what I do LOLOLOL.. keep picking at it even tho I'm not hungry anymore!! I have to physcially pin a server to the ground and make them take the darn plate away!! Have a great time no matter what!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Anyone heard from Merobi lately?? I'm hoping she didn't end up in jail.... :sad: maybe we should roll up those coins in the bail jar we started just in case?? :laugh:

gOT A note from Time2 that her home puter is on the fritz.. she can read the Hatters from work but can't post.. miss ya T2!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Bis: Funny you should use that quote.. just today I was thinking about how weird it is sometimes.. how I can eat a ton of food.. and still be under my daily count.. and other times.. one meal will put me there.. when we went out for brekkie the other day and I stopped counting at over 800 calories.. i was like omg... so not worth it... and a day or two ago (i can't remember 5 minutes ago these days lol) but i was thinking wow.. i've eaten a ton today and im still under... but it's all in WHAT i'm eating... a day filled with lots of fruits and veggies and I can eat loads and still be well within.... but load up on crap and in a heartbeat the calories start adding up.. so its very true.... i occasionally change my mind about eating something cause i resent the # of calories im gonna have to use on something so small (like that dang muffin..... lol.... i need to let that go!!) but 400 odd calories.... grrrr...

Am glad you got some advice from a physician.... just remember your body knows itself well...so try what ya can but dont be afraid to back off if the owies start again!! and yep.... the girls deserve a little help to defy gravity these days.... my sister actually said to me the other day on our walk "where are the girls lol"... (they're always the first place to show any weight loss.... )

Time for bed (hate this shift - I have the same bedtime as I did when i was 8 years old!!) Sleep well Hatters (or good morning to our Hatters on the other side of the world!)

still larfing at just what that credit card alert call might sound like...... :bigsmile:
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone.... keep up the great work....

very busy with life and what not....

I can't remember all of the posts 1 by 1 - but very proud of all of you...

snoozie - love the positive attitude...:bigsmile:
    merobi... glad to see you're not in jail....:wink:

Go Team Go....:flowerforyou:

Carol
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I also love seeing the funny NSVs....

Here's how it happened for me:

ladies first....
    then the face...
    finally the belly and bottom half....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: