Ask me anything!! (Fitness/Personal/Life/etc.)

Options
chu604
chu604 Posts: 353 Member
In this topic you are welcome to ask me any questions you want
Wether they be fitness related, what I think of something, personal life, favorite music/tv shows/etc, current stats/events, life, religion, love,past,present, future, goals & so on and so on..

Anything at all!!

I will answer all questions and may even have a question for you!

Go for it!!

Replies

• doug4018
    doug4018 Posts: 130
    Options
    No one has asked anything?!?! Oh this is just too tempting....let me think about it.
  • chu604
    Options
    No one has asked anything?!?! Oh this is just too tempting....let me think about it.

Yeah go for it!
  • doug4018
    Options

Yeah go for it!

Ok, kinda personal I guess, but here goes. As you lost weight, and went from your former self to your current hot self, what amazed you most about your transformation with your body? For instance, feeling my bones where I never did before, and watching certain areas of the body change are big motivators as I continue to lose.
  • chu604
    Options
    Ok, kinda personal I guess, but here goes. As you lost weight, and went from your former self to your current hot self, what amazed you most about your transformation with your body? For instance, feeling my bones where I never did before, and watching certain areas of the body change are big motivators as I continue to lose.

Thats actually a really good question

Well I would have to say its not only the physical changes that have amazed me but also the mental changes
    I suffer from depression and that can be at any level. The last year has actually been amazing even though things do go wrong
    and I still have days of not feeling super great, Its NOTHING like that it used to be.

As far as physical changes I always wanted to lose my "man boobs" and I always wanted the "V" shape or Adonis Belt around my Pelvis. I never thought I would ever look the way I do now when I was younger growing up and constantly being teased.
    So to not have to constantly defend myself feels pretty good too as well as many other small physical attributes.

But to cliff your answer I would say the thing that has amazed me the most about my transformation is just how much better I feel mentally & that has continued to be a big driving factor.
  • doug4018
    Options
    Thats really awesome. I understand what you mean mentally. I have had a problem with occasional bouts of depression, and i've noticed that it has not happened as frequently as well. Additionally though I've found my brain being the biggest enemy in my transition. Like, I know i've lost 62 lbs, but there's something that always wants to say I'll never lose anymore or that I can't see changes to my body, even tho I know I can. I've learned more and more to ignore that voice and not focus on it.

You should be very proud of your transformation and not only that but that you did it at the age you did. You probably won't have any effects from being over weight, where as the skin on my body is older and may not normalize as yours did. I'm happy for you.
  • chu604
    Options
    Thats really awesome. I understand what you mean mentally. I have had a problem with occasional bouts of depression, and i've noticed that it has not happened as frequently as well. Additionally though I've found my brain being the biggest enemy in my transition. Like, I know i've lost 62 lbs, but there's something that always wants to say I'll never lose anymore or that I can't see changes to my body, even tho I know I can. I've learned more and more to ignore that voice and not focus on it.

You should be very proud of your transformation and not only that but that you did it at the age you did. You probably won't have any effects from being over weight, where as the skin on my body is older and may not normalize as yours did. I'm happy for you.

Thanks alot man, appreciate that.
    Yeah those mental blocks suck and I have been in them before where It feels like nothing is happening
    For instance right now I am adding cardio back into my routine and ab training because what I was doing just wasnt enough

62 lbs that awesome dude thats how much I lost in my senior year. It feels really good.
    After losing that amount of weight it is gonna be hardest to lose those last whatever pounds you want to lose.
    For me Ive found when I hit those road blocks the best way to smash through them is to either start a whole new routine or step up the intensity.

If you ever need a new routine or some help, just inbox me.

& feel free to keep asking questions!
  • Julz2586
    Julz2586 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Hey!!!

First question - is it weird that i'm a chick and wanna follow in your footsteps and get hot and toned like you? LOL!

Your my inspiration!!

Second question - Is it hot or not for a chick to have abs? not like manly abs but toned enough to see them?
    I want abs... but can't seem to even get close to is.
  • doug4018
    Options
    Ok i'll keep going.

1) What is your opinion on the topic of building muscle and losing weight. A lot of people say straight up, it's not possible, you can't lose weight and build muscle. The other side of this debate says only obese people can do it. I feel like based on my continuing loss and the muscle i'm seeing that it is possible. I guess I am most curious because I've often wondered if I should stop trying to lift weights so much and just focus on burning calories to lose fat. The other side of that is that I want to keep myself as toned as possible so I don't look like a big pile of skin from losing weight. Currently i'm at 265 (originally 327) and I'm 6'5" so I'm figuring normal is around 210-220.

2) I can't do push ups yet, and I hear it's the best thing for building chest muscle. I sometimes do a yoga dvd I have on weekends, and do the women's version of pushups because I can do those. Do you agree this is the best thing for chest for someone that's still over weight?

3) Another personal question: was it a little weird getting used to people looking at you more once you got into shape vs being overweight?
  • chu604
    Options
    Hey!!!

First question - is it weird that i'm a chick and wanna follow in your footsteps and get hot and toned like you? LOL!

Your my inspiration!!

Second question - Is it hot or not for a chick to have abs? not like manly abs but toned enough to see them?
    I want abs... but can't seem to even get close to is.

Haha I dont think so everyone
    Lol thanks Julz!

Yeah I think super fit girls are hot and I also think overweight girls can be hot too.
    I have things I like more than others but Im by no means shallow, I like what I like. Cant speak for other dudes.

Abs are hard mine still play hide n seek and most of the time they are hiding.
    Takes a lot of dedication and discipline. Stick with it and keep trying different things, you will get there!
    Diet is the key factor to unlocking Abs. [ no pun intended... sorta;) ]
  • chu604
    Options
    Ok i'll keep going.

1) What is your opinion on the topic of building muscle and losing weight. A lot of people say straight up, it's not possible, you can't lose weight and build muscle. The other side of this debate says only obese people can do it. I feel like based on my continuing loss and the muscle i'm seeing that it is possible. I guess I am most curious because I've often wondered if I should stop trying to lift weights so much and just focus on burning calories to lose fat. The other side of that is that I want to keep myself as toned as possible so I don't look like a big pile of skin from losing weight. Currently i'm at 265 (originally 327) and I'm 6'5" so I'm figuring normal is around 210-220.

2) I can't do push ups yet, and I hear it's the best thing for building chest muscle. I sometimes do a yoga dvd I have on weekends, and do the women's version of pushups because I can do those. Do you agree this is the best thing for chest for someone that's still over weight?

3) Another personal question: was it a little weird getting used to people looking at you more once you got into shape vs being overweight?

1) I think that with the right diet and training that you can maintain and even see gains. Ive been cutting for about 10months and all my lifts have gone up. Now... I think their is a difference between keeping your strength and muscle mass. My arms are about half an inch smaller now than they used to be 5 months ago about my strength has increased. The best way to go about doing this is to do a slow cut losing only half a pound - to a pound per week maximum. The great thing about being overweight and cutting while lifting is that you become toned and being toned makes you look alot bigger. My friends always comment about how big I am when in reality I am 30 pounds lighter than I was last year. I'm gonna stop here because I could talk about this all night.

To answer your question.. Yes I believe and am proof that you can make strength gains while on a cut. No, I dont believe you can gain muscle mass (size) while on a cut.

2) There are many different chest exercises that you can do for chest that isn't push-ups. Do you train at home or at the gym?
    Let me know and I can point you in the right direction to some different options.
    Gym example : you could be doing a dumbbell press or bench press
    Home example : you could be using a exercise band to do band presses or you could do push-ups against the wall or with your feet up on something

Like I said.. Let me know and I can give you many different descending and ascending options man!!

3) No I liked it, after being made fun of for so many years its the sweet taste of victory. To tell you the truth though I am still self conscious to take off my shirt where ever I am at.
  • doug4018
    Options
    Ok i'll keep going.

1) I think that with the right diet and training that you can maintain and even see gains. Ive been cutting for about 10months and all my lifts have gone up. Now... I think their is a difference between keeping your strength and muscle mass. My arms are about half an inch smaller now than they used to be 5 months ago about my strength has increased. The best way to go about doing this is to do a slow cut losing only half a pound - to a pound per week maximum. The great thing about being overweight and cutting while lifting is that you become toned and being toned makes you look alot bigger. My friends always comment about how big I am when in reality I am 30 pounds lighter than I was last year. I'm gonna stop here because I could talk about this all night.

To answer your question.. Yes I believe and am proof that you can make strength gains while on a cut. No, I dont believe you can gain muscle mass (size) while on a cut.

2) There are many different chest exercises that you can do for chest that isn't push-ups. Do you train at home or at the gym?
    Let me know and I can point you in the right direction to some different options.
    Gym example : you could be doing a dumbbell press or bench press
    Home example : you could be using a exercise band to do band presses or you could do push-ups against the wall or with your feet up on something

Like I said.. Let me know and I can give you many different descending and ascending options man!!

3) No I liked it, after being made fun of for so many years its the sweet taste of victory. To tell you the truth though I am still self conscious to take off my shirt where ever I am at.

Thanks again for the answers, this is really helpful...

1) I am very interested in this topic, because everytime I lift weights (I do go to a gym btw) I lift whatever i'm targeting for that day until the muscle group is exhausted and jello. So, recently I've had to increase calories and protein because with the cardio I was doing, I was getting fatigued and could barely hold my head up during the day. At the time, I was eating 1500-1600 calories per day. So my weight loss has slowed since I increased cals and protein but I feel like i've gained muscle mass and i'll know when I measure this weekend for sure. Anyway, it's kind of hard to see weight loss slow, because I still have so far to go, but I suppose that it's a trade off for having some more muscle. I don't want to lose the weight and be a big pile of skin.

2) I work out at the gym, I'm just too self conscious to try push ups there. For chest I generally do Pectoral fly, Bench press, and decline bench press. I haven't ventured into the free weight area yet, it seems daunting since all those guys are buff like yourself and I'm very not buff. However I know that I'm going to have to get over that and do it eventually.

3) It's amazing that you could worry about having your shirt off. If I had your body I don't think i'd ever wear a shirt. Don't be afraid, you have a model looking body.

Thanks again for the answers....really, I appreciate it so much!
  • chu604
    Options
    Thanks again for the answers, this is really helpful...

1) I am very interested in this topic, because everytime I lift weights (I do go to a gym btw) I lift whatever i'm targeting for that day until the muscle group is exhausted and jello. So, recently I've had to increase calories and protein because with the cardio I was doing, I was getting fatigued and could barely hold my head up during the day. At the time, I was eating 1500-1600 calories per day. So my weight loss has slowed since I increased cals and protein but I feel like i've gained muscle mass and i'll know when I measure this weekend for sure. Anyway, it's kind of hard to see weight loss slow, because I still have so far to go, but I suppose that it's a trade off for having some more muscle. I don't want to lose the weight and be a big pile of skin.

2) I work out at the gym, I'm just too self conscious to try push ups there. For chest I generally do Pectoral fly, Bench press, and decline bench press. I haven't ventured into the free weight area yet, it seems daunting since all those guys are buff like yourself and I'm very not buff. However I know that I'm going to have to get over that and do it eventually.

3) It's amazing that you could worry about having your shirt off. If I had your body I don't think i'd ever wear a shirt. Don't be afraid, you have a model looking body.

Thanks again for the answers....really, I appreciate it so much!

Dude no problem, I really like helping people.
    Thats why I made this group

Thats awesome Doug, the gym has alot of benefit over working out at home.
    I'll admit I was like most people and nervous about the gym and even after going a few times you still feel strange and nervous
    because you don't know how to use the machines or adjust them. Eventually you try new things and its just simple and you dont care anymore.

1) Those are really great exercises and perfect for you for right now
    The style of training you are doing is what id say is medium-advanced because about two weeks ago I just started doing that again where I hit a muscle group until its burnt right out. Before I was just staying within the 8-12 rep range.
    I found this was a good way to go because before I was doing an Upper body/Lower body split
    After seeing as much results from that and doing it for about two months I switched to hitting the muscle groups but like I said staying in the 8-12 rep range.. now ive made it harder and I go to failure on every set and I go until I cant even lift anymore.
    I throw in dropsets and supersets with certain days and exercises to constantly keep things switched up as well as interesting.

Basically you don't want to advance to quickly because then your going to get used to that and have to ease off and have to switch everything all together again.

2) Yeah do it whenever your comfortable man, I always think people are looking at me but if they are then that just means they aren't working hard as I am and I don't care what they think. Keep practicing them at home and try some different variations

This may be a push-up you could try at home. Its a bit more challenging than a knee push-up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQJN5HDPut8&feature=player_embedded

You could also try like I said, doing push-ups again the wall
    The farther your arms are spread and the further from the wall you are the harder they get.
    Also just getting into a push up position and holding it for 15-30-45 seconds can help

3) Thanks, yeah its just something I will have to get over or workout of lol.
  • SlimReggieBack
    SlimReggieBack Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am wondering that am I doing well at the moment because I'm eating super beyond recommended calories but I'm really full because of fiber and people say you won't lose weight at all because I am in starvation mode but there are many different variables to gaining weight the next day. It could be eating late at night or having to much sodium and water weight builds up, or sugar from the insulin,etc...
  • chu604
    Options
    I am wondering that am I doing well at the moment because I'm eating super beyond recommended calories but I'm really full because of fiber and people say you won't lose weight at all because I am in starvation mode but there are many different variables to gaining weight the next day. It could be eating late at night or having to much sodium and water weight builds up, or sugar from the insulin,etc...

Hey dude
    Ill just respond to this in messages because I have questions for you about it first (How long you've been doing it, how you feel, results..etc) . In short though, no I wouldn't go with that approach. It could be something done to switch it up from time to time but I wouldn't be doing that for any med-long length of time...That would suck. Ill message you right now.
    Thanks dude
  • doug4018
    Options
    Guess who's back? Did you guess? lol sorry I'm lame...

I'm curious, I noticed something new this week. For the past 2 weeks i've felt stalled, and what I mean is I felt my body wasn't changing. Then this week, there are a few big changes going on that seemed to have occured rather quickly.

As you transformed your body, did you notice anything similar happen, or am I just being crazy? I've noticed a change in shape to my chest, and some other parts of my body, in a good way I mean this week. It's like it happened in the last few days.

Ok the more I type the crazier it sounds...
  • chu604
    Options
    Guess who's back? Did you guess? lol sorry I'm lame...

I'm curious, I noticed something new this week. For the past 2 weeks i've felt stalled, and what I mean is I felt my body wasn't changing. Then this week, there are a few big changes going on that seemed to have occured rather quickly.

As you transformed your body, did you notice anything similar happen, or am I just being crazy? I've noticed a change in shape to my chest, and some other parts of my body, in a good way I mean this week. It's like it happened in the last few days.

Ok the more I type the crazier it sounds...

Nope not crazy at all Doug

I've had this happen a few times and like you said it was also with my Chest the first time. Though the reason for this was because I then incorporated heavy sets of cable flys into my routine and its helped shape my pecs alot more. No lie I used to have "man boobs" and thought they would never go away. Even after I lost weight they still looked funny and sort of flabby. Then one day they kinda just weren't. Then it was just how my skin reacted after i pulled it out. Its become much less "jiggly" or "bouncy" and more tight. If you look in the mirror often then sometimes its hard to see the change(s) everyday as well Doug.

Sometimes it has to do with your diet for the past few days. Thats why eating good also kinda gets addicting cause you don't want to be bloated or less vascular. Like me right now.... Haha, it sucks! Treadmill town tomorrow!
  • doug4018
    Options
    awesome thanks for the info!!
  • chu604
    Options
    No problem Doug, anytime!
    Thanks!