New to this Group

Options
hopeleigh
hopeleigh Posts: 3 Member
Hello Everyone,
My name is Hope and I had VSG on 3/23/12. I am down 58 lbs and at my first "stall". It does not concern me however, I am now working diligently to change some habits. I am trying to get on a regular work out schedule and to plan my meals. My daily calorie intake is pretty low 700-900 calories generally. Yesterday by eating 6 small meals (I had to set timers to remind myself to eat) I was able to take in 1100 calories. I am embarking on a regular exercise schedule consisting of mainly cardio and stretching, for now. I plan to add some kind of resistance training/weight lifting as the cardio gets easier. I did lab work in May that showed my Vit D at 1/2 of what it should be and I had low iron and my B vitamins were on the cusp of being below normal (normal is 400 + and mine was 403). I am taking a chewable vitamin daily, getting more sun exposure and as of today started drinking a protein/supplement shake. I am worried about excess skin, which I am sure that there will be some (I have 6 children and that does some serious skin damage) and was 120 pounds overweight. My hair began falling out by the handful in mid July. I am still losing hair and my scalp is on fire. I have a lot of inflammation from ear to ear along my neckline and in other spots on my scalp. It itches fiercely and I am at a complete loss as to what to do to control it.
That is some intro isn't it! Has anyone experienced scalp problems with hair loss? For those that are a year or more out, have you been able to get your vitamins/minerals from food or do you still supplement? How about that skin?

Replies

• pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My bariatric team informed me that will be taking vitamin supplements for the rest of my life, but I figured that was a lot easier than carrying around an extra 140 pounds. :happy:
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I had my RNY 3/5/12. You will love this group. Feel free to ask whatever. No judgement here.....can't say that for the other boards. Good luck on your journey!!!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My doc says I will be taking supplements forever. I am ok with that. I know I cant eat enough to get all that I need. Since I had RNY I dont absorb the way I used to and I need more protein and some vitamins to be sure that I actually absorb what I need. I still cant eat enough to get in the amount of calories and protein that I want, so I do still supplement with shakes also. I just work them in as part of my daily meal planning.