pushup question

Options
karensoxfan
karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
So I started stage 4 today, and my pushups are STILL hard on the 6th peg from the floor on the Smith machine. I know with time, I'll be able to do them on the floor EVENTUALLY, but for anyone who's finished NROLFW, I'm curious: If you couldn't do pushups on the floor before you started, could you do them on the floor after you finished all 7 stages?

*For all you women who start out this program being able to do them on the floor, I am in awe! And those of you who can do T-style ones, you are my heroes!

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I was only able to do them when I started b/c of a pushup app I did for like 6 weeks before starting. I actually worked up to doing about 75/day (not in a row) from being able to do 1. I don't think that program and NR's can be done at the same time though.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'm on stage one 4a. I started out at 45 deg (counter height) and when that was easier I just went to knees on the floor. I'm still weak on them but progressing. Even if you can't do all of them perfectly, try to do the first few on the ground then finish up with the way you've been doing them. You'll get there!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I started Stage 1 with counter-height push-ups, then progressed to doing push-ups on a weight bench, then on a step with 2 risers. I'm at the end of Stage 2 and just started doing them on the floor. My form is not perfect on the floor, but it was pretty good on the step/risers, so I think I will continue on the floor and work on my form throughout Stage 3.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I was doing them off a step for quite a while. Step was busy one day so tried off the floor. I don't get quite as far down but this is improving. It hurts & I have to stop half way through a set but it is getting better!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm moving down by pegs on the Smith, so maybe next time I'll just try the 5th peg (one lower) and do as many as I can, and if I can't get 8, then I finish on the 6th peg. I really hope I can get at least ONE floor pushup, on my toes, before my 40th b-day in January. What an awesome gift to myself THAT would be! :)
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've just started with this to help me improve my pushups.

http://hundredpushups.com/

I suck at pushups..
    T pushups and Tricep pushups.. they all suck...
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I started on the bench. I'm at stage 1 6a and can do the first set on the floor and the next two on the bench...hoping that by the time stage 1 is over I can do them all on the floor
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I couldn't do them.. now I can. I could do them before though, maybe about 2 years ago, so I have pushup experience. Hundred pushups is a great program. Also, like it was mentioned by others.. doing the hardest variation you can first, then moving down until you can do them all on the floor. :)
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm on stage one 4a. I started out at 45 deg (counter height) and when that was easier I just went to knees on the floor. I'm still weak on them but progressing. Even if you can't do all of them perfectly, try to do the first few on the ground then finish up with the way you've been doing them. You'll get there!

I started at about counter height and at the end of stage 2 was doing them on a bench. I start stage 4 today and I think this ^^^ is going to be how I approach it. As many as I can on the floor then switch back to the bench for the remaining.