Flexibility

Options
Hello all ! My goal is to shed a couple pounds to tone up and get in awesome shape. I really want to make a dance team for my school but they are pretty flexible.
Is there anyone who knows how to do the splits that was not born flexible? And how long did it take you to get it?

Replies

• ntlpeterson
    ntlpeterson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump. I would love to hear if anyone has plan to do splits.
  • laurenleighlugo
    Options
    I'm not flexible at all. I want to start stretching and getting more limber. But I always give up because I don't see the results as fast as I'd like. :( Any advice?
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Start stretching. Make sure your warmed up so you don't pull anything and just stretch deep. Everyday push a little more. It's like anything else start slow and work your way up. Be consistent! I was not flexible when I started dancing and once I got better at it I could do middle splits, side splits you name it.
  • VeeOsooPretty
    VeeOsooPretty Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you. How long did it take you to be able to do the different kind of splits? I know everyone is different. But just wondering to set a realistic goal for myself.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It was so long ago I can't tell you a time frame. I'd guess 2-3 weeks to start seeing some progress.

Good Luck!
  • bizarre_starr
    bizarre_starr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to dance and if I'm warm I can, usually, still do the splits. I started studying dance full time in my teens and was fairly, naturally flexible beforehand so it only took me a few months to work up to doing the splits comfortably. Some girls on my course did it quicker and some girls never got there. Everyones bodies are so different! We all improved a lot though. As tracypk said, start stretching, warm up first and be consistent. Yoga is also really good for flexibility.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I was a gymnast for years and some of the girls I trained with never could do the splits. I do think that is a very small percentage though and if you really work at it, you can get there. I would aim for 15 minutes of stretching EVERY day if you really want to get flexible (we spent 30 minutes on stretches 5 days a week in gymnastics). Everyday keep pushing yourself a little bit more, some pain is OK and try to hold the position for as long as you can. Ideally you should hold each stretch from 30 seconds- 2 minutes. Make sure you breathe slow and deep as you do the stretches, it really helps. And when it hurts just "breathe into it" as if you are literally sending oxygen to that part of your body. It sounds crazy, but it helps. If you focus on the breathing you wille ventually get to a point where there is no more pain!