Squat Rack unsafe?

Options
perfect10isha
perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
So I'll preface this by saying that I'd prefer to use the squat rack versus the smith machine, but the squat rack at my gym confuses me.

So the rack says "Squat Rack Bench Press", it looks like a squat rack (like a big rectangle). The squat bar is set up on the outside of the rack with all the catches. Now here's what confuses me. There is no safety catch. If I put my head under the bear and push up to get the bar on my upper back, and then step back there's nothing to catch the bar. Most squat racks you squat inside the box/cage and there's those safety bars inside the rack, or if the bar sits on the outside there is an extension than comes out that you squat within so if you were to not be able to stand up you could place the bars on those low bars. I hope I'm making sense. Well the squat rack at my gym doesn't have it. I even saw a trainer have a client do squats and they did it the same way I did, so I know I"m using the rack correctly.

So given this information would it be safer to use the smith machine since I don't have a spotter, or is it a non-issue unless I'm squatting super heavy weight? I don't want to use the smith machine, but I also don't want to get injured using a squat rack without the safety catch. Is it not a big deal?

TIA

Replies

• perfect10isha
    Options
    The squat side looks similar to this http://www.afproducts.com/products/item/category/benches-and-racks/star-trac-squat-rack/ however it does not have the bars that come out and run parallel to the ground (that act as a safety, right?).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    can you take a picture and post it? I've never seen a rack that didn't have some sort of safety catch (removable or not). I know I've worked on quite a few that had them removable and laying on the ground though.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yeah thats strange... it should have those horizontal sections sticking out..

But if you feel like you need that safety and you don't feel comfortable using it without that feature... then don't.

I barely ever use the safety hitches with the squat rack..they usually aren't set up, and i don't bother putting them on. But that's just me.

If you cant use one with the safety bars, make sure you are squatting a weight that you can handle.or you have a spotter to help you just in case.

Smith vs free squat i'd go free squat all the way..
  • perfect10isha
    Options
    hmmmm, I never thought that there could be a removable safety. I worked out yesterday so today is my day off, so tomorrow I'll definately check to see if there are possibly removable safety catches and I'll also take a picture and update my post.

Honestly, I didn't feel unsafe, but then again I'm just starting out so I didn't put a lot of weight on the bar.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Our squat rack just has a hook attached to the bar, You have to rotate the bar to release the weights then rotate it again to add it back on.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Our squat rack just has a hook attached to the bar, You have to rotate the bar to release the weights then rotate it again to add it back on.

That sounds more like a smith machine than a squat rack.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    was it like this one:
    http://www.freemotionfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_10001_10002_10009_10871

if you look at the horizontal safety bars you can see that below there are adjustable holes so you can change the safety height.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You should never have so much weight on the squat rack that you will not be able to set it back on the pegs after doing your reps. But you should be able to add safety bars if you are really concerned. In my gym, the safety bars are always hiding in some corner so I never bother to go get them. I've been lifting off and on since I was 16 though, so I don't really worry about it!
  • perfect10isha
    Options
    There's not even a bar that comes up to meet a parallel safety bar, so then maybe there is not removable safety... idk, maybe I should try to ask someone at the gym, but honestly I doubt they'll know. One trainer had her client doing squats all wrong, and the trainer was actually scoping out my workout routine. I had asked another trainer about my deadlift and he said I didn't need to go all the way down, I could just do a half deadlift cause thats what he prefers : /
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use the safety bars on the power cage at my gym, but haven't needed them. I needed the bars once while lifting (probably like an idiot) in high school, I had to duck under and drop the bar. That sticks in my mind so I use them but will most likely never need them as I am MUCH smarter now :)