BOOK LIST ON BINGE EATING OR RELATED SUBJECTS

Options
Book list that was requested:
Overcoming Binge Eating by Dr. Christopher Fairburn (very technical, not easy to read but so worth a read)
Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen
Eat What You Love - Love what you Eat by Michelle May
Anatomy of a Food Addiction by Anne Katherine, M.A.
Codependent No More by Melody Beattie
Any book by Geneen Roth

Please feel free to copy this list and add any books you feel are benefical and a good read on BED.

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    There are a host of self help books out on binge eating, compulsive overeating, eating disorders, etc. Just use your library search engines to find what your library have.

Geneen Roth has a lot of good books on this matter that is not too technical. When I found Bite by Bite, that was not the book I was looking for. I was looking for another one of her books and this was one of the only ones they had on CD so I checked it out. Right now I don't have time to read a book but I have time to listen to them on the way to work or in my car.

Hope this list helps.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    bump

...and thanks, Mollie. :)
  • eschorre
    eschorre Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Book list that was requested:
    Overcoming Binge Eating by Dr. Christopher Fairburn (very technical, not easy to read but so worth a read)
    Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen
    Eat What You Love - Love what you Eat by Michelle May
    Anatomy of a Food Addiction by Anne Katherine, M.A.
    Codependent No More by Melody Beattie
    Any book by Geneen Roth
    The Language of Emotions: What Your Feelings Are Trying to Tell You by Karla McLaren

Please feel free to copy this list and add any books you feel are benefical and a good read on BED.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    These aren't self help, but they were eye opening for me;

Locked Up for Eating Too Much by Debbie Dankowski
    Confessions of a Carb Queen by Susan Blech

Both are written by women who are documenting their true life journeys dealing with addictive/binge eating.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you just had time to read one which is the best?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    If you just had time to read one which is the best?
  • poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Overcoming Binge Eating by Dr. Christopher Fairburn is the one my therapist recommended I start to read whilst I had sessions with her. It is very wordy and technical, but it is really good. Lots of exercises to work through as well.

I'd also say it's very good to give to family / friends who are trying to support you. I know often they have our best interests at heart, but without fully understanding your disorder can often say the wrong thing to trigger you without it being intentional at all and them in turn getting upset because they think they've hindered your progress as a result.
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i also bought overcoming binge eating by christopher fairburn, but i just stopped reading it lol bc im not a reader. but my therapist recommended it to me, and i already had it.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    i also bought overcoming binge eating by christopher fairburn, but i just stopped reading it lol bc im not a reader. but my therapist recommended it to me, and i already had it.
    Well it was not an easy read for me and I am an avid reader so I know it is hard for you to read if not a reader. Try to read it because it explains a lot about BED.

I am reading Thin for Life now by Anne Fletcher.
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the List Mollie I have a couple of these books already but haven't read them yet.
  • hi ladies! The Slow Down Diet is amazing for creating a normal relationship with food!
  • calewis23
    calewis23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Very helpful. I'm definitely going to look for these at my library.
  • Molly182
    Options
    thanks for posting!
  • annehart00
    Options
    I am so happy to see Fairburn's book on your list. Can I also recommend Anita Johnson's Eating by the Light of the Moon?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I am so happy to see Fairburn's book on your list. Can I also recommend Anita Johnson's Eating by the Light of the Moon?
    That is what this thread is for!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I recommend you sign up for the newletters from ShrinkYourself.com. I am now taking the course and it is very good!!!
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I just requested a few of these books from my library. Even though I have lost a lot of weight I still need to fix my binge eating!
  • Kimmybean13
    Kimmybean13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've just read Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating by Gillian Riley. I have found this extremely eye-opening and helpful. I am now following her advice and have given up on 'weightloss' and I've now got a fitness and health in mind and an 'I can eat what I like' attitude, knowing that any choices I make I do so consciously with all consequences. I went out for a food shop last night and HAVEN'T eaten all the yummy trigger foods etc.

I'm so convinced that this process will get me over my binges/uncontrollable eating that soon I'm going to go out and buy chocolate and put it in a frame for 'break in emergencies' etc type thing and display it, knowing I'll have the control to leave it hanging there for a long time and not eat it just because it is there and 'cannot help myself'.
  • star_sprite
    star_sprite Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    'End Emotional Eating' by Taitz

fabulous book! I would read a couple pages each day after a meal - it was a great distraction from continually eating mindlessly after my meal, and I would take notes in my journal of things that resonated with me.