Why do you run?

Options
mmk137
mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
I'm curious as to why everyone runs?

Me?

Well I run because I love how it makes me feel. It really helps to clear my head/mind. It has also helped me in cardio endurance, and vice versa.

Now some other questions.
-what shoes are you running in?
-do you own any compression wear?
-run with music or without?
-fav after run drink or meal?

me?
-asic kayano's. I have them in pink and blue
-yep, socks and leggings. I use them on distances over 10km
-music, love it, but sometimes I do enjoy running without it
-drink love strive (it's a hydration drink), or a pj sandwich.

Replies

• strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I first wanted to run, because for some reason in my head it was the epitome of being healthy and in shape. I would see people running on the trail and feel some sort of longing in me to be with them (even though, I wouldn't have been able to run 50 ft at the time). I run now because I love the way I feel when I'm done. It is like therapy. It can clear your head out for your and make you feel better about your life and self.

Shoes: Mizuno Wave Riders
    No compression wear
    With music, but also so I get the interval updates of my run. Soon I would like to start doing fun runs with out music.
    If I'm also doing other workouts that day, I will do a protein shake.

:)
  • mmk137
    Options
    because for some reason in my head it was the epitome of being healthy and in shape.

yep same here
  • LundeenB
    LundeenB Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I run because I can after being over weight and struggling to walk a a fast pace, I feel wonderful that I have worked my way up to this level. For me running is more than a work out... it brings me relief and also lets me take out all of my frustrations of the day.
    running shoes asics gel nimbus14
    compression wear yes leggings
    music yes: i seem to push myself harder when I have great music playing
    My go to drink is water and lots of it :)
  • amandal00
    amandal00 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I run because I can! This wasn't always so. :) And its great me time as well as a great calorie burner.

-what shoes are you running in? I run in Asics 1170 or Brooks Ravenna 3
    -do you own any compression wear? No
    -run with music or without? Usually without, with two kids quiet is rare
    -fav after run drink or meal? My fave after run drink is chocolate milk
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I run because it is the only work out I have found that I really ENJOY and look
    forward to doing. I also love the feeling I get after a LONG run, I feel strong
    and empowered

Now some other questions.

Nike Lunerglide

No

With, always WITH, I actually have my ipod music timed to my run.

Drink - G2 GLacier Freeze
    Meal - PB& J
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I got motivated by a friend of mine to take up running again last year. I have kind of run off and on over the years but not consistently. I run because it gets me in great shape and allows me to be a bit more lenient with my diet. I also like the feeling of accomplishment of a long run. I did not think I was competitive but I definitely like striving for PBs..

Shoes - Brooks Ravenna
    Compression: Shorts, tights
    Absolutely run with music!!
    Chocolate milk (1/2 almond milk/1/2 1% or skim)
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump for later. :)
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    because for some reason in my head it was the epitome of being healthy and in shape

I feel that way too! I started out as a "walker". I love to walk and love to hike. It was my wonderful husband who convinced me that I could run. Once I tried it, I was hooked. I'm still a slow runner (okay, let's be honest, I'm a jogger) but it is now part of my weekly routine (at least two days). It would be more but I'm surrounded by steep hills where I can exercise easily so walking works better for me at this time. I do run the downhill portions a lot and will eventually build up to running the uphills. Trail running is my favorite (depending on terrain). Running is a great stress reliever for me and I can really tell when I've missed a running day!

In short, I run because I am able and because it contributes greatly to my healthier/happier lifestyle.

Shoes: Asics gel nimbus
    No compression wear.
    Music: Yes, if I am running alone. No, if I am running with my group or trail running (I like to hear nature and/or conversations).
    Drink/Meal: water and lots of it and my group likes to go to dinner after our run usually something healthy like Souplantation or Chipotle.

edited for content :smile:
  • mmk137
    Options
    yeah i use to be a walker, walked everywhere, and could walk for hours.

I'm glad I started to run, cause it helped me i many aspects of my life.
  • mvitale
    mvitale Posts: 1
    Options
    Why I Run: Because I Can. I started running last year with a fabulous group called Women Run Arkansas. They hold FREE running clinics in the spring all over the state and then we all meet up after 10 weeks and run a 5K. It changed my life. I had tried a few times to run on my own, but would eventually get frustrated and stop. They literally showed me HOW to run, and I've been doing it ever since.

Shoes: Nike Air Pegasus 28 - I have two pair, one is custom-made using NikeID. They are sweet!
    Compression Wear: I wear Under Armour 7.5" compression shorts in summer.
    Music: Sometimes with--sometimes without. Safety reasons.
    Drink/Meal After a Run: After long runs, I like to go out for breakfast (pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, coffee)! I like to drink water or Gatorade (Lemon-Line, Orange or Fruit Punch) after running, too!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I started to run because it was the thing I thought I couldn't do. I've skydived and done aerial obstacle courses....held my own on multi-day cycling events and played pond hockey with the boys. But I always thought running was "too hard" for me. One day, I decided to hell with it, and I decided to start running. Now I run to help keep my weight under control, and because it is still very hard for me. It also helps to clear my mind.

---I love my Brooks Adrenaline GTS12's

---Nope.

---With an ipod. Lately I've been on a podcast kick instead of music.

---chocolate milk or iced coffee. yum :)
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I started running as a way to keep in shape for cycling over the winter. I would run on a treadmill when the weather got too dicey to take my bike on the road. I never loved running until I started running outdoors. Now I consider running my "first" sport and I will only run on a treadmill if there is absolutely no way to run outside. :D

shoes: It varies--I hate when manufacturers change models. Right now I switch between Saucony Rides and Nike Structure Triax.
    compression: winter tights & capris
    music: on the treadmill I can't run without it. Outside I don't use it cuz I like to be aware of my surroundings
    food: I don't eat much before I run, maybe drink some coconut water. After? Anything!! My favorite refuel is a protein smoothy and--later--a nice very cold beer.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I run because I love how it makes me feel physically and mentally - stronger. Also, a lot of my best thinking is done while running. I'm in it for my cardiovascular fitness as well... that's primarily why I started C25k but I'm well and truly addicted now.
    I'm curious as to why everyone runs?

I think they are some kind of Asics. It's probably bad that I don't remember exactly what they are.
    No
    Without. It's my thinking time. I felt really free when I stopped C25k and didn't use my Ipod anymore.
    Water. Peanut butter and banana toast is my absolute fave!!
  • eudaimonia_sf
    eudaimonia_sf Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hey - i'm new here. i just started running again about 6 weeks ago, and am wondering why i ever stopped. i'm still in the swoony in-love phase about it.

i run because i need more energy. i am hoping to drop some of the weight i've gained in the last few years. also enjoying how it makes me feel, as i am able to run longer and faster.

shoes: nike free run (love them - i used to run barefoot on the beach and while it's not the same as that, it's way closer than my old running shoes)

compression wear: heck yeah. after a month of running 4-5 days a week, i bought a bunch of new workout wear -- shorts in varying lengths. it's cold here, even in the summer -- they keep me warm as i'm warming up but are not too hot. plus they keep stuff from moving around / rubbing, which would be distracting.

no music. tried it, but i feel it's distracting -- the beat ends up setting my tempo. would rather let my body and goals for the run direct how fast i'm running.

after: protein powder in grapefruit juice, which is high in potassium.