HELP! I'm stuck!

Options
jpratt44
jpratt44 Posts: 16 Member
So I have been stuck at about 153 for the last few weeks and I would really really like to get back into the 140s! I workout consistantly about 5 times a week and have been doing a program through fitness blender that's supposed to shed fat and put on muscle. I am almost always under my calorie goal and I think I have had only 2 or 3 days over the last month where I have been 100 or less calories over my current caloric goal of 1200 (not including what I get from exercise). Please help me! I don't know how to get over this plateau. I'm not sure if I should do more/less exercise or have more/fewer calories or if I need to try some kind of cleanse or even give my body a break. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• classictoaster
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, but I think your caloric goals are too low. Do you know your BMR? You should at least be eating that many calories a day. If you set your goal at your BMR, I would suggest eating back part if not all of your exercise calories - or experiment with increasing your calories from your BMR until you stop losing/start gaining weight, and then take your deficit from there.

Also - make sure you aren't overestimating your calorie burns! I'm not sure what "fitness blender" is, but just make sure you're getting in some strength/weight training as well as some mixed in cardio (a lot of people will tell you cardio is optional - which it is - but I love the burn it gets me and I just like running! Haha). That combo will shed fat and get you muscle.

When I plateaued, I took a step back and examined what I had been slacking on/doing incorrectly. Turns out I'd been eating a lot more sodium than I thought (which will hold onto water weight if you don't drink enough water) and eating out more than I should - I cut that way down, and it broke my plateau.

It's all about figuring out your body's needs and working with it!
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    You could try intermittent fasting
  • classictoaster
    Options

Or that, too. I love it.
  • brandyanne11
    Options
    See a lot on the intermittent fasting, how does that work?
  • classictoaster
    Options
    www.leangains.com

The most helpful website ever regarding IF.

Basically, it's fasting for a certain period of time each day. For instance, right now I do a 14/10, which is 14 hours of fasting with 10 hours of eating. This for me means skipping breakfast. Personally, I started doing it because I was so ravenous after eating breakfast; doing IF got rid of that.
  • brandyanne11
    Options
    Thanks!
  • MissTreese
    MissTreese Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting sounds pretty good. I think I will try it also
  • juhobi
    juhobi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem :/
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options

yep
  • brittfam
    brittfam Posts: 34
    Options
    Everyone is different but when I hit my plateau I looked at what I was eating. I realized my 1200 calories on my lifting days wasn't enough nutrients for my body. ( especially after getting a HRM!!) I was under eating by a lot when I first started loosing my weight. I also switched up my cardio days with different things other than just running ( Zumba, hot yoga ect). Experiment a little and sooner or later you will break it!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It's also important to monitor your stress levels. When we are too stressed out our body resists losing weight. Make sure you take time out for yourself just to relax- paint your nails, take a bath, take a long walk, do whatever it is you do.I plateaued for about 2 months and I think the stress at that time played a big role, so don't be too hard on yourself!

On a side note, I've had good results with IF. Like the other poster said it has really helped me comtrol cravings and stop mindless eating all day.