Rest days?

gjriddle
gjriddle Posts: 46 Member
So I know rest days are super important, and I completely understand the why. My question is, how many? I've read/heard conflicting ideas on it.. some sources say 2 per week, some say 1 per week, and then there are the rest weeks people talk about. What is a good balance of work vs. rest? Is 1 day per week enough if you're strength training?

Thanks!

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    I take one rest day a week. But sometimes I do 2 or 3 if I seem to be struggling with my workouts, or I'm busy with other things. I think listening to your body is the most important thing.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    I take 2, not because of my workouts but because of my life outside that. I think it just depends what else you have going on.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    It depends on what kind of program you're doing. This comes from reading what experienced trainers write:

Heavy weights (like strong lifts or New Rules) weights every other day max of 3 days a week, two other days can be pilates, yoga, walk, run, and minimum of 2 days of rest.
    Circuit training, running, cardio (whatever type) at least 2 days off a week.

Hope that helps~
  • I normally take one rest day a week. My new trainer told me that working out 6 days a week (I'm at my goal weight, just trying to build some muscle and lose a little body fat) seems like a bit much. I'm going to meet with her this Monday and ask her if she wants me to try to take 2 a week or what. I think it just depends on what works for your body.