My activity level and other questions

Hi everyone

I'm considering starting this programme as I like to eat but would like to lose a few pounds, and more importantly be a bit leaner. I was hoping someone would help me with my stats.

I'm 5'8 and currently weigh 148 pounds - my goal weight is around 140 pounds. I've cut my calories to around 1500 + exercise for the past couple of weeks, which is having zero effect, so I think that's too low. I do 6 exercise classes a week on average - a mixture of advanced pilates, zumba, ballet and caribsa (zumba Caribbean style - it's fantastic!). I also walk quite a bit, including an hour's dog walking for a friend approximately 2 or 3 times a week.

I have my activity level down as moderate, and therefore my BMR is 1414, and TDEE is 2191. So TDEE -15% is 1863. Does that sound right considering the exercise I do? And do I need to increase the intensity of my exercise to get results - I consider myself to be relatively fit but I don't really lift weights, although I work with my own body weight quite a bit in pilates.

And am I right in thinking I eat 1863 every day, and my net calories intake is 1414 or less? In other words, if I burn more than around 450 cals in exercise, which is possible as I often do two classes back-to-back. Does it matter than on some days I do virtually no exercise at all other than walking due to shift work?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    bump. i want to know too, im roughly in the same boat.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    You have it right if your exercise brings you below BMR, you make sure to net at least up to your BMR. No it doesn't matter that you do not exercise on certain days - the activity level tales the hours PER WEEK into consideration - they already average your work out & non workout days together, as long as you are figuring your exercise at the correct level. People tend to estimate low. If you find that you keep netting below your BMR, you may have chosen too low! Focus on the hours not the moderate vs strenuous, I think you would be in the 5-7 hours per week category. BMR is still 1414 but TDEE is 2440 & 15% cut is 2074 according to the scooby calculator. I personally do not do weights because I am handicapped but most EM2WL folks swear by it esp if you wish to tone. The scale may not move much but the tape measure seems to record a loss.
  • Thanks mphlab, that's very helpful.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    You have it right if your exercise brings you below BMR, you make sure to net at least up to your BMR. No it doesn't matter that you do not exercise on certain days - the activity level tales the hours PER WEEK into consideration - they already average your work out & non workout days together, as long as you are figuring your exercise at the correct level. People tend to estimate low. If you find that you keep netting below your BMR, you may have chosen too low! Focus on the hours not the moderate vs strenuous, I think you would be in the 5-7 hours per week category. BMR is still 1414 but TDEE is 2440 & 15% cut is 2074 according to the scooby calculator. I personally do not do weights because I am handicapped but most EM2WL folks swear by it esp if you wish to tone. The scale may not move much but the tape measure seems to record a loss.
    ^^^This^^^