Raisins

Options
gatorginger
gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
Okay ladies had my yearly check up with the gynocologist yesterday and yep I'm definitely going through pre-menopause. Since I declined taking medicines the doctor told me that one of her patients said eating a box of raisins every day helped her with her menopause symtoms so I'm gonna try eating a box every day to see if it helps me. Just letting those of you who are interested know what you could try to see if it helps you :}

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I love raisins in my yogurt.

Good luck! Hope it works. Let us know please!
  • gatorginger
    Options
    I will let you know when I get back from vacation if they help after a week :}
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I will let you know when I get back from vacation if they help after a week :}

Are the raisins helping?
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    raisins..............i can not eat a salad without 'em.
    yum.

i didn't notice my eating raisins counteracted my reverse-puberty, er, i mean menopause,
    but i didn't eat raisins every day....
    but yeah, do keep us posted!!
  • gatorginger
    Options
    Okay I ate them every day for a week and sorry to say I still had hot flashes, I however feel that it made them not so intense but I wouldn't say I was cured :{
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It slightly concerns me that your doctor is taking subjective info from 1 patient**, and passing it on as advice, but at least it is harmless advice, and you got some iron and fiber while eating raisins!!
    YAY!!

**(it's stunning sometimes, what activity patients associate with what result)

we sometimes refer to this as the green sock theory.
    I am wearing green socks,
    and i don't have cancer.
    Thus, green socks prevent cancer.

Patients are not always great at understanding what causes what, even in their own bodies. Or their own lives.
    Whatever we focus on,
    we get MORE of.
    If we focus intensely on a pain, with nothing to distract, and fear building in us that it will get worse and worse,
    that pain will be far more intense,
    than one felt by someone in pain, who IS being attended to, and is distracted by something else as well. (some caveats apply)

There is NOTHING more powerful than our minds.
    nothing.

For many many complaints, there is no better drug than distraction, too. Especially for complaints which are excaberated by stress,
    (and show me one that isn't.) distraction is great stuff.
    Glad you had a great vacation!!

I remember when HBO was first invented,
    and when hospitals first got HBO in, (before it was available in most homes)
    People had never seen such great movies on tv!!
    and no commercials to break their focus on that movie, either.
    Wow, we nurses could not get over, how no one rang the bells,:noway:
    and when we went in to check on our patients,
    they shushed us, to hear the movie. "Pain? no, i'm fine, come back after this movie is over, okay?"
    Power of distraction.

I am a nurse,
    and old nurse,
    and way back when i was a young nurse,
    placebos were legal
    and very common. Especially for sleep.
    We nurses did not choose this on our own, the doctor actually ordered "Give placebo for sleep, as needed".
    for real.
    Occasionally, for some patients, placebos were ordered for other complaints as well, and most of nurses noted,
    placebos worked as well as anything.

the power of the mind.

I was especially adept at getting placebos to work.
    Ey, if it's all you have to offer, you can make it work, when a patient rang and said they could not fall asleep.
    When i gave the patient the baking powder pill,
    i'd make quite a fuss, about ensuring their call bell was tied to bed rail, and asked them to call me to walk them to the bathroom, since they were not used to this here sleeping pill.
    I'd warn the person, if you DO get up, sit on side of bed for a moment, to ensure you are not dizzy before you stand up. I'd have a ever-so-slightly concerned look on my face, and i'd look at them to make sure they were taking me serious.

I'd tell person, if you DO feel a lil brief wave of dizziness, to call me, and i'll check your blood pressure, and i'll sit with you til it passes, if it freaks you out a lil bit, but, some ppl find the lil dizziness, like being a lil tipsy, kinda pleasant, but, if you don't, you call me.
    (some ppl DID call, cuz they got dizzy for a lil while after the baking powder pill)

worked every time. Person would be snoring in 20 minutes.:bigsmile:
    The ones who called me so i could walk them to the bathroom, all remarked how strong that pill was, and how yes, yes, they did feel a lil dizziness, but, it wasn't too too bad. Occasionally, someone would remark, maybe next night, they'll only take half of THAT pill!!!
    IN the morning, every one exclaimed how well they slept, and why can't they have THAT PILL every night!!

Placebo effect does work. Keep eating those raisins, for the iron and fiber, anyway!!