Celebrating losing inches, but gaining weight

Options
Krista_1
Krista_1 Posts: 50 Member
I went from 139.8 to 142.4 lbs. I have been tracking my vigorous exercising about a month, and tracking my calories on MyFitnessPal about 2 weeks. I have lost 3 1/2 inches! But gained 2 1/2 lbs.
Here are my measurements a month ago versus measurements now:
Chest 30 1/2 " to 29 3/4"
Waist 26" to 24 1/4" (yay-almost 2 inches off waist!)
Hips 36" to 35"

I am happy I started with the measurements, otherwise, I would be crying looking at the scale, instead I am celebrating my progress of my size going down! :happy:
I have been eating back the calories burned from exercise.
My case demonstrates how muscle takes up less room than fat. Has anyone else experienced something similar where you get smaller, but gain weight?

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual at all, especially if you've been doing a lot of strength training. Ignore that scale and keep up the good work!

If it makes you feel any better, your waist measurement is a quarter-inch smaller than mine, and I weigh 104.
  • thewinged
    Options
    Yup! Muscle is a lot denser than fat.
    During the winter, in ski season, I usually gain weight due to muscle gain from frequent skiing. During the summer I'm more lax, so I lose some pounds since my muscle goes down. I don't let it go away entirely though!
    Right now I weigh 130-135 lbs (I don't have a scale at the moment) but I have a 24-inch waist. A good portion of the weight is muscle packed into my legs from biking, hiking, and skiing.

Lesson is - there is a point where measurements matter way more than weight! Or even BMI. For some athletes, their BMI says they are obese. It's the muscle that throws that off.