Sweeteners

Options
Hey yall, just wondering what kind of sweeteners you use (or if you omit them completely).

I usually use Splenda, but I've noticed my carb counts keep rising as I drink more teas during the day. Does anyone use a "0 carb" count sweetener? I've heard talk of liquid sweeteners that claim 0 carbs (I think even liquid Splenda is 0) . I was wondering if it's worth to order them online because I haven't seen any in local stores.

Replies

• maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've tried several sweeteners but in the end I decided to suck it up and deal with the 1 carb per packet of granulated Splenda. I have not tried liquid Splenda though. I've tried various sugar alcohols and stevia, and none of those really taste right. I've gotten used to the erythritol in the Monster Zero but for the most part I don't use artificial sweeteners when I'm doing LC diet.

I used to drink my tea with a lot of sugar but I gradually cut back on it, and try to find teas that I don't need to add any sweetener to. I like Uncle Lee's green tea with jasmine, bought a big can of the leaves, and I don't let it steep more than 2-3 minutes or it is too bitter.
  • hollymedic
    Options
    I ordered EZ-Sweetz online on Amazon, it comes in a three pack and was not that expensive. I ordered it a month ago and I'm still using the first bottle. The ones I ordered were the smaller size, I had heard they last longer because they're more concentrated. They claim to be 0 carb, and I have used them in recipes and sweet tea, without going out of ketosis. Highly recommended. It's sucralose, so like liquid Splenda.

looks like you can order a sample free/pay shipping here: http://www.ez-sweetzstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=7
  • nikket3000
    nikket3000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use splenda in moderation. I only really sweeten my coffee and occasionally my whipped cream. For that I use Torani sugar free syrup in vanilla or hazlenut. I dont think the syrups have any carbs.
  • L1brar1an
    L1brar1an Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda (up to three packets a day MAX). Trying to cut out artificial sweeteners because I think that may be what's holding back my weight loss.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i use truvia, which is a stevia derivative.
    anything else will stall me... but i still won't give it up :P like crystal light.
  • carolinagirl1112
    Options
    I use ALDI's store brand version of Splenda. I think it was like $2 for a box of packets. Although Splenda's whole campaign is that it measures cup-for-cup like sugar, I find that I use less of it. I think it's actually a bit sweeter than sugar.

Also, sometimes I'll pick up a bottle of DaVinci or Torani flavored sugar free syrup. It's made with liquid Splenda, so even less carbs! Not to mention the amazing flavors. Whenever I go to Starbucks I ask for the cinnamon sugar free syrup...it's to die for.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've ordered Cyclamate tablets from Australia. They are zero carb, no sugar fillers.
  • iksworbez
    iksworbez Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Coffee and Tea are like cigarettes... if you get used to a certain brand and use it for a while you get used to it, if you switch it up you will dislike the flavour for about 9 (i think) uses before you start getting used to it as well.

So i just decided to just cut sugar entirely out of my diet, and not bother trying to substitute with sweetner
  • MakotoYuu
    Options
    I'm a big fan of xylitol and erithrytol. They are two sugar alcohols that don't really have much gastric distress (for me).

I used to use Splenda, but I don't like that the powdered form uses maltodextrin. I'll pick Truvia or its generic over Splenda when I can. I also have liked the Ideal sweetener a lot.
  • Nixenne
    Nixenne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    EZ-Sweetz is great, and one small bottle lasts months for me. I use a combination of EZ-Sweetz and erythritol for baking...and occasionally for low-carb mojitos. ;)

For coffee, like others have mentioned, Torani/Da Vinci sugar-free syrups are awesome. Both brands have a ridiculous number of flavors to choose from.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I ordered EZ-Sweetz online on Amazon, it comes in a three pack and was not that expensive. I ordered it a month ago and I'm still using the first bottle. The ones I ordered were the smaller size, I had heard they last longer because they're more concentrated. They claim to be 0 carb, and I have used them in recipes and sweet tea, without going out of ketosis. Highly recommended. It's sucralose, so like liquid Splenda.

looks like you can order a sample free/pay shipping here: http://www.ez-sweetzstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=7

I got that a while back and lost it before I could use it! Stupid tiny bottle! :D