work crush

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
I kinda thought this guy at my work was maybe flirting with me a while back, but tonight, he said, what do you need, snickerdoodle?" That' something you call your grandma right?? Or is supposed to be cute?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I'm not him. But... are you his grandma?

If he asks you that again say "You, pookums" and go from there.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    He was trying to be sweet with you.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    "Snickerdoodle" is kind of awkward, but generally, I think that kind of infantalizing (or elderizing?) is flirty and sweet. I'd give it back to him- and agree that "pookums" would be funny.
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    is he an older fella? I've never even heard of that.
  • christine24t
    Options
    is he an older fella? I've never even heard of that.

Haha he is probably 29/30.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    He's flirting, albeit in an unusual way. Go for it!
  • kobashi
    kobashi Posts: 164
    Options
    Work crushes suck. It's like hell when they fail. You still have to see the person. Going through that now. It didn't even fail just too many outside problems to ever even start.
  • Canther
    Canther Posts: 14
    Options
    It sounds like he's awkwardly flirting with you. You rarely throw around pet names in a work setting. Be wary that this will be first of many pet names if you pursue it. He is most likely waiting to see if you'll respond with a pet name, as well. Good luck regardless!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    awww I like snickerdoodle. You should have asked if that was his favorite cookie.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    He was definitely flirting--go for it!
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    LOL... I am gonna make sure I never ever ever call any woman, snickerdoodle. It's such a strange word. Not to mention it just sounds weird.

Sugar Britches on the other hand!.... :bigsmile:
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's an odd way of flirting. Based on your posts here though, I imagine you can be hard to approach because your own nervousness around guys you like has to be noticeable to those guys. Find a way to be receptive to any of his cutesy things and go with it. That is, if you're interested in going on a date with him.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I think that is an adorable name to call someone. I don't think it sounds Grandma - ish.
  • christine24t
    Options
    I'd say it's an odd way of flirting. Based on your posts here though, I imagine you can be hard to approach because your own nervousness around guys you like has to be noticeable to those guys. Find a way to be receptive to any of his cutesy things and go with it. That is, if you're interested in going on a date with him.

I am but I'm quitting in a week so I don't think there is enough time! :(
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

You will still be in the same general living area though.
    It is perfect,none of the problems with work place fraternizing so it is clear sailing. :smokin:
  • DMZ_1
    Options

Are you kidding? That's perfect. Makes things less complicated because there are no more workplace dynamics. If he doesn't ask you out, ask him out ASAP.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Are you kidding? That's perfect. Makes things less complicated because there are no more workplace dynamics. If he doesn't ask you out, ask him out ASAP.

Yes, this ^^
    Since I know you aren't the 'ask a guy out type' what about a joking approach and say something like "if you ever need someone to vent to about these co-workers (or X problem) here, you know I'll understand, so give me a call, here's my number ... "
  • christine24t
    Options

Yes, this ^^
    Since I know you aren't the 'ask a guy out type' what about a joking approach and say something like "if you ever need someone to vent to about these co-workers (or X problem) here, you know I'll understand, so give me a call, here's my number ... "

That's actually not a bad idea! I dont know that i could give him my number but i might say something to him on my last day like "good luck with this place! It's been nice working with you! Maybe I'll see you around!" Maybe then he might ask for my number! might be picking up extra work there so I will most likely be working there again but just not on a consistent basis!
  • DMZ_1
    Options

As a guy, if a woman did that move with me (no context), I would think she would be interested in me as just a friend, and I would perceive no romantic/sexual attraction from that. However, I always ask out any woman that I am interested in, provided I sense some level of interest on her part. And I am doing things to gauge interest.

That's actually not a bad idea! I dont know that i could give him my number but i might say something to him on my last day like "good luck with this place! It's been nice working with you! Maybe I'll see you around!" Maybe then he might ask for my number! might be picking up extra work there so I will most likely be working there again but just not on a consistent basis!

Maybe. He could ask for your number then, maybe not. I have no idea why he hasn’t made a bolder move with you. But if you want absolutely clarity and certainty, ask directly for what you want.
  • BelMckenzie
    Options

Yes, this ^^

I think you need to do more then just say "I'll see you around" since that would be something I would say to a co-worker that I was friends with that but not care to see outside of work. If you want to see him again, you are going to need to ask him for a form of communication, his number, his fb, anything where you or him would be able to get in contact with each other otherwise you might as well throw your hands up since saying that would not indicate you want to see him again or even like him enough that he would ask for your number (he is not a mind reader). Sorry if this sounds rude, but you need to do more if you really like him before you run out of time.