'Moderate' or 'Light' Activity?

bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
started NROLFW this week - two workouts in, woo! I've gone from 5 65-minute cardio sessions to the only cardio I'm doing being HIIT warmup. yesterday I went to the gym and there was a woman on the elliptical my entire workout (aka, like I used to be) and it was such an eye-opening moment. i never want to go back to that! i can't even IMAGINE doing that!

anyways. i'm currently going by the book's calculation for maintenance, which puts me at 2100 on nonworkout days and 2350 on workout days. two days ago was my first 'nonworkout day' after lifting and i was STARVING. yesterday (a lifting day) i was just exhausted and ended up falling asleep on the couch about a half hour before i'd planned to go work out. and i had gotten 8+ hours of sleep the night before, so i shouldn't have been so tired...

i'm not sure what to do. i just finished an 8 week metabolic reset, where I went to this website - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ - and plugged in my numbers. at the time, with all my cardio, i was in the 5-6 hour of strenuous activity category, meaning i was eating 2655 calories a day. this sounds astronomically high, and i didnt weigh myself at all during the reset, but at the end of 8 weeks the scale said 156 (and i started at 154), so something must have worked.

but my dilemma is going from 2655 to 2100 on nonworkout days is a pretty big jump. i thought maybe i could do the TDEE thing and eat the same amount everyday but didn't know what activity level to put myself in. i would think moderate, but just adding up the time spent doing NROLFW puts me into the light activity category on scooby because it's under 3 hours a week. my TDEE for moderate would be 2385. my TDEE for light activity is 2116. this, of course, is all for maintenance. but since my book numbers are 2100/2350, eating 2385 a day would be eating a surplus. i'm 10 pounds above where i want to be but, if i can lose inches and tone, i won't really care what the scale says... that being said, i don't want to overeat and see the scale go up.

...what should I do?

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    i'm not sure what to do. i just finished an 8 week metabolic reset, where I went to this website - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ - and plugged in my numbers. at the time, with all my cardio, i was in the 5-6 hour of strenuous activity category, meaning i was eating 2655 calories a day. this sounds astronomically high, and i didnt weigh myself at all during the reset, but at the end of 8 weeks the scale said 156 (and i started at 154), so something must have worked.

This here makes me think that 2100 on nonworkout days and 2350 on workout days is the way to go. Cardio burns WAY more calories than lifting weights. Plus, doing regular cardio means Scooby's calculator is more ideal-- an hour of elliptical burns, what, 500-600 calories? That's the difference between Scooby calories and NROL calories right there. Just as long as you plan to take real rest days, get as much sleep as you need, and keep your protein intake high, you'll be doing it right. If you start doing your 60 minute cardio sessions again you will need to eat more (to keep your net calories the same) and you may cut into your muscle growth if you don't rest enough.

And being tired after starting this program is normal, it will get better :) I take ZMA on workout days, before I go to bed, and it seems to help.