defunking after visiting non low carb family

Options
okay,
I survived a visit with my inlaws. It was pretty bad, but I survived. I ate all my own meals and purchased my own food (would have had to anyway, as they don't cook!).

My inlaws are pretty aweful. Zombies. Totally walking dead. MIL has athletes foot all over her entire body and a foul stench. She eats nothing but candy all day long and her front teeth have rotted out. She looks like a meth head. Tire around the waist, but wasting limbs. Depressed state of mind.

My FIL has COPD and Emphazyma. He's on O2 and meds all day long, skinny as a rail, and so fouled tempered his only way to lighten up is a mcD's burger and fries or an ice cream. Addicted to candy too.

I made the mistake of using their washing machine. All my clothes smell aweful, funky! Do I burn them? is there a way to get the funk off and save my lululemon top and awesome AE shorts? What to do? I shudder to think about putting on the panties I washed in the washing machine, I just threw them out. Help.

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I would let the washer fill up and put Oxy-clean in it.... that would be a perfect way to 'clean' this up really well.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Plain white vinagar will also work for killing/ridding the clothes of the smell. Just add to the wash
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Zombies?!?

You didn't get scratched or bitten did you?
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Damn that is rough. AAAAAAaaaaand nasty. Oxyclean and 20 mule team borax??
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    gross.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    ok. I'm going to try soaking in vinegar then washing the clothes.

and my MIL has athletes foot so bad her arms and legs are scaley. ;(

I did not get bit, I do have to say that I have the deep urge to be fully ketogenic for the rest of my life! I never want to ever be addicted to carbs - it appears that carb eaters (I call them zombies) have so many problems! Physically, I can just tell right away when someone eats a diet of mostly carbs. The belly tire, bad breath, crazy or depressed eye glaze, dull skin..... And allot of carb lovers have some body odor.

I always was around people in USAG that were crazy about pushing carbs down their gymnasts' throats, then wondered why they had yeast infections, dandruff and bloat. When I became a rhythmic coach the diet was the complete opposite. Now that I am about a year of full ketogenic dieting myself, I'm never going back to more than 50 g. carbs a day. Yuck!

I don't smell, and I don't ever want any of that funk! Why do so many zombies think that protein gives you funk? I eat raw dairy everything and never have bad breath or body odor. My diet is high fat and I have the best skin.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need/want to soak your clothes in vinegar. Just add like 1c to your wash.

If you have one of those balls for liquid fabric softener you can fill that up with vinegar and use that - gets it in a later cycle.

When my clothes are really funky I use vinegar and Tide with Febreeze and everything's good.

I'm guessing though that your in-laws just have funky water and/or detergent you don't like, and one normal wash in your washing machine will be fine. Won't hurt to add vinegar tho.
  • Stripple
    Stripple Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don't let you husband read this!!!! They are his parents LOL
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Why'd you visit the in laws anyway? Couldn't get out of it?
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    we had no idea things had gotten that bad, but the weather was awesome. Husband is appreciating the defunkifying laundry. His skate shorts are included.

Will post about if the funk is out or not later. Rinsing and then hanging outside in a few minutes. Used on gallon white vinegar to soak, then ran laundry on cold cycle.
  • cramernh
    Options
    Thats the number one reason why my husband will not ever visit his mother at her place: she is extremely filthy, her home looks like it went through a nuclear dump and the woman sits on her backside all day long and does nothing. She lives on the third floor mind you - and you can smell her apartment the minute you open the front door on the first floor to access the building... its THAT bad!

I can never go visit my own mother. She is worse than the typical chain-smoker.. she is just absolutely horrible. The cat hair that is all over the place combined with cigarette smoke that has permeated everything in the last almost 25 years is damn near impossible to remove because she just doesnt like to do that thorough of a cleaning. I get raging upper respiratory infections so bad that I need two trials on antibiotics just to kick it out of my system. Pair that with my husband's asthma, forget it.. he gets just as bad.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    cramernh, we must be related by marriage, lol. Same inlaws? And why the cigarette smoke too? ugh.

Well, soaked it all in vinegar overnight, then ran through a cold water wash cycle. Hung to dry outside in the 102 degree sun. All Funk gone! :)

I'm going to do this more often to my skate pads now that I know how to get funk out! Thanks you guys.
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, feeling very sad for poor people who have got themselves into such a mess. If only they could find the strenght to take a good look at their healthy children, put two and two together and realise what a difference good food can make to a life.
  • cramernh
    Options
    Hi, feeling very sad for poor people who have got themselves into such a mess. If only they could find the strenght to take a good look at their healthy children, put two and two together and realise what a difference good food can make to a life.

Not just good food... healthy habits that have developed, better decisions made for our health...

One of the many reasons I dont go (in addition to what Ive previously mentioned) is the fact of how disgustingly horrible my mother's eating habits are. This is a woman who is on 12 different medications, she is a cardiac patient, and she is of the belief "Im 56 years old, Ill eat what I damn well please"... and this was said while she was in a hospital bed coming out of a medically induced coma for Atherosclerosis, ARDS, secondary to Pericardial Reconstructive surgery!?!??!!?!?!?! I let her nurse be aware of that, and she went right in there and put her in her place. When you are a cardiac patient, there are new rules to follow on the foods you can and cant have, especially with the medications she is still taking to this day! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything is bread-heavy, pasta-heavy, rice-heavy, lots of flour, corn-crazy.... those foods are part of her cardiac-related problem... They contributed to her heart disease (highly processed variety) and she just keeps on munchin' away... She gets extremely offended when I dont eat her Meat Pies, her Casseroles with thick layers of breadcrumbs, the pasta-bakes... She has the body-related symptoms that let you know she is a heavy grain-eater...

What gets her blood boiling is that I wont have those foods at her table. Doesnt matter that I tell her "Ive dramatically lowered my cholesterol by not eating anything from that food group 99% of the time - I dont want to ruin all the effort made"... Im sitting on an HDL reading of 86, an LDL reading of 72, Triglycerides are 104, a total CHO of 177, a ratio of 2.1, my A1c is 5.2... all for getting rid of that group.

There is heart-disease on her side of the family - her own father died of a heart attack in his sleep. You would THINK that would have been enough motivation for her to change her eating habits... but nope... So, its all on her. I wont be part of that decision making. And I most certainly will not put up with her banter for the appropriate choices that I have made. Family or not, no one should feel bad for making the right choices and decisions!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thats awful! I'm so glad my inlaws are the exact opposite...I'm gonna give them even bigger hugs next time I see them!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Not just good food... healthy habits that have developed, better decisions made for our health...

One of the many reasons I dont go (in addition to what Ive previously mentioned) is the fact of how disgustingly horrible my mother's eating habits are. This is a woman who is on 12 different medications, she is a cardiac patient, and she is of the belief "Im 56 years old, Ill eat what I damn well please"... and this was said while she was in a hospital bed coming out of a medically induced coma for Atherosclerosis, ARDS, secondary to Pericardial Reconstructive surgery!?!??!!?!?!?! I let her nurse be aware of that, and she went right in there and put her in her place. When you are a cardiac patient, there are new rules to follow on the foods you can and cant have, especially with the medications she is still taking to this day! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything is bread-heavy, pasta-heavy, rice-heavy, lots of flour, corn-crazy.... those foods are part of her cardiac-related problem... They contributed to her heart disease (highly processed variety) and she just keeps on munchin' away... She gets extremely offended when I dont eat her Meat Pies, her Casseroles with thick layers of breadcrumbs, the pasta-bakes... She has the body-related symptoms that let you know she is a heavy grain-eater...

What gets her blood boiling is that I wont have those foods at her table. Doesnt matter that I tell her "Ive dramatically lowered my cholesterol by not eating anything from that food group 99% of the time - I dont want to ruin all the effort made"... Im sitting on an HDL reading of 86, an LDL reading of 72, Triglycerides are 104, a total CHO of 177, a ratio of 2.1, my A1c is 5.2... all for getting rid of that group.

There is heart-disease on her side of the family - her own father died of a heart attack in his sleep. You would THINK that would have been enough motivation for her to change her eating habits... but nope... So, its all on her. I wont be part of that decision making. And I most certainly will not put up with her banter for the appropriate choices that I have made. Family or not, no one should feel bad for making the right choices and decisions!

Your mother must be related to mine...esp the "Im 56 years old, Ill eat what I damn well please" part (except my mother is older). Heart valve replacement (though I think this is congenital - fortunately I didn't get the heart murmur, I got the insulin resistance from my dad's side (they are/were all T2D though)), heart stents, high BP, high cholsterol, drugs for all of it. Plus drugs for IBS, allergies, acid reflux that are all related to eating gluten, but she doesn't believe me that that's what caused mine.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yeah my mother in law can be pretty funky. She's probably like 56, and her diet mostly consists of cigarettes, Pepsi and whatever kind of crap carbs (donuts, etc) that she can get her hands on.

She recently moved in with us (though we don't allow smoking in the house of course) and I've demanded that ALL of her stuff stay in the garage until I can clean it. Her idea of clean is so far from it, it's sad. You can see dust and nicotene caked on furniture and she's like "I dusted it off, it's good", but yet dust is still visible and it smells of smoke (as a former smoker I think my wife and I are very sensitive to the smell now).

We're trying to convince her that every stitch of clothing needs to washed too, but she's like "They've been in storage for a long time, they're fine!" except that they smelled like smoke when you put them in there too! She's also taken that old person's stance of not showering every day, more like every other or every 3rd day...

I'm sure over time we can force her behavior a bit, but some people are really stubborn, and I'm sorry the carb addicted zombies are the worst! I'll be cooking low carb and she's free to eat with us (probably be better for her as a cancer patient/survivor too!) but we won't allow conventional foods to be fed to us or our son.