New to C25k

Options
Hi all,

I've attempted C25k in the past. I only made it to week 6 before I quit. I'm not quitting this time!!! I just finished week 1 and will start week 2 tomorrow. My issue is when running, my breathing gets so heavy that it feels like someone is sitting on my chest. No matter how much I breathe in, I feel like my lungs are not expanding. I am a former smoker, but haven't smoked in 2 years or so. Does anyone have any tips on how to control my breathing?

Replies

• SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I breathe in time with the steps I take. Breathe in for 2, out for 2 and so on. These are not always the deepest of breaths, but they're even and help me get through each run. You can do different intervals (3, or 4) if they work better for you.
  • MamaShoob
    Options
    I finished Week 1!!!! I'm so proud of myself, and I love the program so far and I've also been walking with my hubby and the baby. My older daughter and I are doing yoga together twice a week as well with my cousin. This week was great. I promised myself I wouldn't get on the scale until I'm in week 4, or rather at the end of it.
  • Tinkerbell1010
    Tinkerbell1010 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm about to head out for week 1 day 2 right now ! I also have the trouble with breathing incorrectly, i hope i can get it down because I know it will make the run easier :)
  • rayraygbs
    Options
    I have to really pay attention to my breathing. I have asthma (which has decreased as I got older, so i only need a rescue inhaler). The running sections can get hard, but I make sure I keep trying to take in as deep of breaths as I can. I have heard that your body will adjust to it and will get better. I'm just going into week 3 in 2 days, so I can't say for sure. I really use my walking time to breathe and catch my breath too.
  • ohhjohnny
    Options
    I'm finishing week one too on top of walks with the family. When I run I keep my breaths in time with my steps and with asthma I can say it does get hard, especially in the last round.