New and need help! Prone Jacknife...ugh!

Options
stepher80
stepher80 Posts: 37 Member
I just started the program here at home to get the feel of each exercise before hitting the gym with it. I wasn't able to do the step-up because I don't have anything to step up on but I was able to do all the rest of the exercise EXCEPT the prone jacknife! I kept falling off the ball and I couldn't even get my positioning right! How do you get to where you can even do that?? I bought my medicine ball a long time ago but never used it so I have no experience on one of those. I'd like to know if there is something else I could do to get me to where I can even do 1 rep of the prone jacknife. It didn't help that my arms and legs were already week and wobbly from the first part of the workout but my balance was awful as well. Should I get with a trainer at my gym and get help that way? Ugh, I can't see myself doing those at this point. I didn't plan on going full force into this until after next week because I have a work trip and then school starts (I'm a teacher) and I wanted to wait till our schedules were "set" before figuring out which days I was going to do this. So I have a couple of weeks to work on my balance on the swiss ball but I need some direction and pointers on how to get there!

Thanks!

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    First of all check you have the right size swiss ball for your height. Second to make the prone jacknife easier start with your shins on the ball rather than just your toes. Take a few moments once you are on the ball to move your hands around to get the right balance that feels comfortable, other than these all I can say is just keep at it and you will get better :)

Good luck with NROL4W
  • stepher80
    stepher80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll give that a try. I might just have to do several "balancing" reps to get the hang of that part.
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Same as the above poster, size matters! I absolutely could not do even one at first, but I figured out if I keep my shoulders, arms, and back tight, I can control the stability. After I got that down, it was one of the best ab exercises! Don't give up! Slow down and work on your form
  • Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I frist tried them! I kept rolling off, it was funny and ridiculous that I could not do them. What I found that helped me out was that if I stood in front of the ball and walked myself out, so the ball starts at my upper thighs and I walk out so then the ball travels down my leg to my shins/ankles, and I have my arms at a wide stance. I feel that I am more stable when I do that. I focus on my breathing and keeping everything tight, and I'm not rolling around as much. Just keep trying, they're a challenge for most of us! Don't get discouraged :)
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I started out with a really strong core, so I did not struggle with the prone jackknife at all. However, I can offer some advice! My gym has a small plastic base that you can set the ball on so it won't roll around. You might try getting on it while the ball is resting on that and then have a friend move it in the middle of the first rep. Or you can do it with the ball against a wall and you facing out from the wall, then you know that ball won't roll backwards. Keep trying! You'll get it.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Yup, size matters ;) Aren't medicine balls the small hard weighted balls? If so, make sure you are using the big blown up balls instead. I hope you find your rhythm. Good luck!!
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Id agree with Sammy. I kinda lay on the ball and then walk myself out with my hands..it could be hard because you stated your already weak from the previous exercises. Holley has a great idea ~ place the ball against a wall. whatever you try dont give up! it'll get easier

Good luck!