Introductions

Options
Hi guys!

My name is Lisa and I am 27 years old. I decided to start this group to find other people trying to live the low carb/high fat lifestyle. I find that I am not doing well lately as I hoped, so I need to change some of the things I'm doing. I figured this might be a great way to also connect with other people, and maybe even motivate myself to stay on track.

Right now, I am a full-time college student hoping to earn a degree in Respiratory Care, as well as eventually work towards degrees in my hobbies; web design and graphic arts. I am also looking to work a part time job so I can have some extra funds coming in. Previous to this, I was in the Army for a few years. I started my own blog recently at http://www.unusually-lisa.com which is more of a personal blog about my life, weight loss, unusual/off beat news, and blogging in general.

I've always seemed to struggle with weight in my life, and my highest weight was 197lbs which was in January 2012. I have a good 60lbs or so to lose to reach my goal weight.

Now it's your turn! How are you? Where are you from? What do you do for a living? Anything else you would like to share?

Lisa

Replies

• tardis_77
    Options
    Hi guys!

My name is Katie and I just started college this summer and want to be an Occupational Therapy Assistant. I have been over weight my whole life and hopefully lose a good 90 pounds before going to a University next year. I just heard of the "caveman diet" also called Paleo that is no carbs and you can eat as much veggies, meats, pultry, fruits that you want and wont gain weight.

Thanks, for listening,
    Katie
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie!

Welcome to the group. Just curious to if you are following a specific Paleo plan? Paleo is NOT a no carb diet, that's why I'm a bit confused. I love hearing about other plans, and I often visit Mark's Daily Apple. He has some good paleo recipes now and then!
  • jensedun
    jensedun Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Jenny and I just started a low carb diet yesterday. I've done low carb before and had success with it, but when you fall off the wagon, it is hard to get back on. I need to lose about 100 lbs and I am hoping this time I will stick with it for the long haul. I feel healthier and have more energy when I do the low carb lifestyle.

I am experimenting with this free tracking system and the SparkPeople system to see which I like better. They are both free, so I want to see which is more user friendly and helpful.

I'm open to hearing about any low carb recipe ideas anyone has and I'll share any favorites as I discover them. Any tips about the website would be helpful too,
    Thanks!
  • ksutton30114
    ksutton30114 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi All! My name is Kevin... I'm a 37 year old, married, father of 4. I made a conscious decision last year to get off my lazy butt and finally get into the best shape of my adult life. Over the past year, I've dropped ~50 lbs total weight including ~20 lbs of good weight I have been able to put on through better food choices & regular exercise.

I have been cycling through several different programs from low carb (4HB), high carb, high protein, etc. I am starting the Ultimate Diet 2.0 (Cyclic Ketogenic Diet or CKD) tomorrow to try and drop the last 10-15 lbs to bring me under 10% bf. My abs are dying to make an appearance and I'm hoping I can make that happen for the first time in my life.

I'm planning to track all of my meals in MFP to ensure I can stick as close to the macros as possible. Looking forward to any feedback on low carb recipes, meal plans, etc. that I can leverage.

P.S. my proile pic is several years old (before my last weight gain/drop). I'll get an updated pic soon -- but tend to be camera shy. :bigsmile:
  • KeepItSimpleSally
    Options
    Hi All!
    I am Alexandra and Ive been doing a low-carb diet since Jan. of this year. I started with Atkins, but now I kind of do my own modified version of said diet. I've lost 50 lbs so far. Shooting for another 30. My weakness is that I usually crave something sweet at the end of the night. Sugar-free candy helps, but it can be caloric, so not the best option.

My husband finally started dieting with me this week. It has made the world of difference and I am so grateful. He was supportive before, but now there's no reason to keep any junk of any kind in the house! I started logging on the wed just the other day. Previously I just wrote everything down by hand , so this is adding a new and fun aspect to everything!
  • arodriguez24
    arodriguez24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

My name is Anthony, I started doing LCHF around 2 months ago. I was doing somewhat of a low carb before but it wasn’t proper in term of getting in tons of quality fats. Currently I’m doing 5-10% carbs, 65-75% fat and the rest protein. I’m getting around 140 to 170 grams of protein depending on workout days since I have a protein shake those days.

I know with this type of diet they advise not to count calories but I do it to make sure I stay in those percentages. I’m reading and studying a bunch of material on this lifestyle, books I have read so far are the TNT diet, The New Atkins for a new you, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and also The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance.

I look forward to interacting with you all :)
  • NicoleLentz
    Options
    My name is Nicole, and I just made the choice to eat LCHF, so I could loose about 50lbs. As well my son is on this journey with me, so together we can supoprt one another.
    Any feedback from anyone regarding the success on the LCHF plan? I notice tracking through MFP may be challenging since the food ratios are out of whack for me...carbs proteins etc
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Amber. I've been back on the LCHF wagon for almost a week. I'm 29, married and have 3 kids. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. :)
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My name is Nicole, and I just made the choice to eat LCHF, so I could loose about 50lbs. As well my son is on this journey with me, so together we can supoprt one another.
    Any feedback from anyone regarding the success on the LCHF plan? I notice tracking through MFP may be challenging since the food ratios are out of whack for me...carbs proteins etc

You can go in and manually adjust your ratios. That's what I did. :)
  • munzaga
    munzaga Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    HI, I'm Misty. I am trying the lchf after having been vegetarian for about 2 years. I shoot up in weight-of course because I substituted carbs for the lack of protein. My hair is a wreck etc. I used to lowcarb with great success. carbs make me bloat like a tick and so I am excited to begin this wol again. I am 5'3 1/2 , have 66 lbs to loose and and 34. Good luck to you all! Let's keep each other motivated!
  • hothotpot
    Options
    Hi!

My name is Carly and I am also relatively new to the LCHF diet. I was first introduced to the concept a few years ago by watching the documentary "Fat Head," and even though I found the science behind it very compelling, I convinced myself I could never pull it off. I simply loved baked goods too much!

More recently, I became interested in the Paleo/Primal lifestyle. I was unhappy with the results I was getting just by calorie counting, and knew that a drastic change in my diet was going to be necessary if I really wanted to reach my goals. After talking to a friend who takes LCHF to the extreme (he's living a completely keto lifestyle), I decided that even Paleo wasn't really right for what I was looking to do, and instead I took matters into my own hands and found a balance that works for me. These days I sort of straddle the line between keto and paleo, and right now I am on day 5 of the 21 Day Sugar Detox program, and I am loving it!

I'm super excited to get to know more people who do LCHF. Honestly, one of the biggest challenges I've faced hasn't been with the food I eat, as much as it has been with getting the people I know to understand this choice. I have a very supportive husband, who loves steak and bacon and would probably eat it for every meal if I let him, so getting him on board was pretty easy, but we do have some friends who consider themselves "health food experts" and the idea of getting the majority of one's calories from fat (especially the dreaded SATURATED FAT!!! lol) is like blasphemy to them!

I am 5'8", and at the moment I weight about 165lbs, and I think I would like to get to 145. This may change, as I've also started doing CrossFit, so it will really depend on how much muscle weight I put on where my "goal weight" really ends up being. To be honest, I'm less concerned with the number and far more concerned with how I look and feel. Right now, I am shooting for no more than 10% carbs, 25% protein, and at least 65% fat, more from fat than protein if I can manage it, and it has been pretty easy going.

Please feel free to add me as a friend! I would love to have some more LCHF people on my friends list! Looking forward to getting to know you all!
  • Enjah
    Enjah Posts: 1
    Options
    My name is Enjah and I have been eating LCHF on and off for years. it gives me amazing energy, and now that I have lost most of my excess body fat, I feel great. Now I am learning to lower sodium for my own health and my husband's health, and because it means eating fresh foods, it fits into LCHF style. After reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, I finally know the key to keeping the weight OFF (always a challenge). Adding fat just makes sense. When I add back too many grams of carbohydrate, I start craving home made brownies and hot fudge sundaes!
  • Sarah83E
    Sarah83E Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Sarah. I am 29yo I live in Texas and currently I am a student at the University of Texas at Arlington.
    I have been searching for a life style that will change me for the better and I have always been taught that eating a balanced diet is best and that I should eat "good" and exercise to lose weight. Every time I have tired to do that I fall off the band wagon within weeks and start eating fast food and processed food and gaining MORE AND MORE weight. I also found that I am hypothyroid and pre diabetic, So I started researching and found that CARBS make you fat, not fat! WHAT AN EYE OPENER!! OH MY GOODNESS! It makes SO much sense to me! I am still researching and looking into many different "diets"
    Ketosis diets seem to make the most sense to lose weight! I am new to this all but I have lost (since my last DR visit in sept) 17lbs in just 2.5 weeks of tracking with MFP!
    ADD me if you would like to be friends!
    THANKS!!
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
  • turbojam_rocks
    turbojam_rocks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello ,my name is Crystal and I am 39 years old from Ontario,Canada.
    Last week I started a low carb high fat diet from the martin clinic called serial killer diet..It was confusing to know that high fat foods can make you lose weight..But have trouble keeping my carbs at 30 g..I am somewhat of a coffeeholic lol..I am supposed to keep it at 30g til my body starts burning fat then up it to 120 I believe..But also have a cheat day from friday night to sunday morning..In the book he says short term ketosis is safe as long as you do not skip your cheat day...Anyways it would be nice to hear what other people eat that is high fat low carb:)
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    On the populist front, it was Kat James touting the benefits of good fats several years ago that roused my interest. So I did some more research on my own and permanently gave up fat restriction.

Ten years earlier, when Nourishing Traditions first came into print my friends and I began re-designing our family meals to de-emphasize grains and embrace omnivore eating with a heavy representation from vegetables & legumes as the main carbs.

I have set my nutritional ratios on MPF as follows: carbs (35%) //protein (25%) //fat/ (40%) //25g fiber //20-30g sugar (a carb, but it helps me to keep my fruits in proportion).

What I achieved through low glycemic eating, few grains, plenty of vegetables & plants (cooked & raw), reserved amount of flesh protein (I am post-childbearing age and lightly active apart from set exercise times) and finally an adequate amount of good fats from my favorite oils (sesame, unfiltered olive, unrefined coconut), dairy (butter, yogurt, some eggs some cheese), a generous amount of nuts and seeds...was great bloodwork (super high HDL and low LDL) and good urine profile. I wear no glasses and have no ongoing prescription pharmacueticals.

Yet, I weigh too much. Weight that comes on suddenly then takes for ever to loose a portion. And I was RA episodes were still in the picture. Just when I was trying to convince myself that this was the best physical version of me I could expect for the 2nd half of my life I came across a article discussing pH balance. So in the vein of continuous improvement, I researched this.

Although the original tractory of that first article was somewhat misguided, it had a kernal of truth. I continue to research and improve my diet on this thread,

So in addition to being what many would consider to be a high-fat diet, I have added 2 more features that address the digestive process of the small intestine-pancreas-gall bladder that I believe that the earlier pH article should have defined: filtered water and digestive enzymes.

I joined MPF in January 2013 to track and manage my progress (or not) with these added features to my diet. What I am finding is that I now can lose weight at a more less predicatible tractory and RA episodes have not yet been triggered.

I do not think any one piece is a magic pill. What I think is that I finally have found what is balanced nutrition for me. A clean diet and exercise was not enough.
  • Phx99
    Phx99 Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi there!

I have been doing atkins on/off for 3 years, and now looking to stay on it! I know it works, but always about 5-6 weeks in, I cave. Looking for ideas on new foods, and maybe to make new friends! I'm 45, female, and looking to lose between 75-100 lbs in total.
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    I too have struggled with Low Carb off and on for many years, loving it at first, and then...something is missing and I cave as well, regain, the works. Yet, I still always felt it was "right" for me, felt well on it etc. Frustrated that I couldn't stay on. But the alternative was lowfat/lowcal 24hr-a-day struggling forever.

I am now back on for 10weeks with a Dr.s' support, and with a big change in fat percentage (very high like 80/15/5) and more sodium (it's very diuretic and I tend towards low blood pressure anyway). It seems to be a wonderful change, I love the food, always satiated, able to feel calm about food, not overeating, losing well, very happy. I keep worrying this will end and i'll be back trying to get into ketosis like other times. I too have just read "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living" (along with other resources like Ron Rosedale, Gary Taubes and the Jimmy Moore website) and these materials have really inspired me to keep going with the high high fat. It seems to be a game changer as the body gets keto-adapted (we test me with a blood finger-prick meter for ketones) and processes most everything differently. Can I stay with this for the long run? Will it continue to feel so relatively easy? We will see what happens in 6mos, 1yr, 5yrs? I dare to hope this can be a lifestyle.
  • rebeccasanders2
    rebeccasanders2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, my name is Rebecca Sanders and I live in Chesapeake, Virginia. I am starting the Atkins Diet tomorrow and hope that it will be a success. I need to lose at least 50 pounds. I started using MFP a week ago and have fell in love with it. I also use Spark People for the recipes and fitness videos. If anyone has used Atkins, I would love to know more information on how it worked for you or did not work for you.
  • DeterminedRealist
    DeterminedRealist Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I'm Michelle, and I've found this lifestyle helps me to maintain my blood-glucose levels in normal range. Since reversing Type 2 diabetes is important to me, this is working great toward supporting that success. My fasting blood-glucose numbers have been in normal range since giving up the carbohydrates and only allowing complex carbs into my system. I still have a long way to go to ONE-derland, and even further to goal (whatever number that ends up being). I could use a few like-minded friends.
  • mdneal1215
    mdneal1215 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I just joined MFP. My name is Dianne and I am an RN. I just turned 50 this year and am having problem keeping my weight managed now. I've tried WW but was hungry all the time. So recently I read about the Paleo plan and have gotten some books on it and am going to try it for a couple of weeks or so and see how I feel and if I lose any weight. I'm also going to the gym and am starting to work out with weights, both free weights and some machines, which ive never done before(!) because I want to get rid of my batwings, bulging belly and saggy tush. I realize it won't happen overnight but I gotta start somewhere! So here goes! :bigsmile: